Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Yup I got hooked on his channel and now another guy who owns a salvage yard who does engine tear downs. The other guys did a Viper engine not long ago.

These videos motivated me to finally finish my tear down, not as exotic but I tore down the 267 that I pulled out of the Impala. It was smoking a lot. One of the rings had cracked and the valve seals were gone, but all of the bearings and everything else was in pretty good shape. It was a lot of fun.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I always watch this guy. Good stuff.

Damn you! I just spent 2 hours watching his various videos. He did a GREAT job explaining how VCM works. Now that I'm more educated, I'm putting S-VCM on the Pilot within the next few days. Hopefully, with only 26600 miles on it, the damage and oil/carbon buildup to the rear chambers won't be too bad.

All of the oil blow-back and vacuum compression in the rear bank when VCM is activated is greatly concerning. And electronically controlled motor mounts to deaden vibration out of a balanced engine by design? How much $ was added to MSRP in exchange for 1-2 MPG? I shudder at the thought. Maybe it would be more effective if the valvetrain was continuously engaged without intake/compression/ignition. I'm sure the designers thought of that and said "No".

Thanks for posting that video! Very informative on the technicals and his teardown of the LS1 was great. How can you not be a fan of a mechanic working outside in the snow with his index finger poking out through his mechanic's glove?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn you! I just spent 2 hours watching his various videos. He did a GREAT job explaining how VCM works. Now that I'm more educated, I'm putting S-VCM on the Pilot within the next few days. Hopefully, with only 26600 miles on it, the damage and oil/carbon buildup to the rear chambers won't be too bad.

All of the oil blow-back and vacuum compression in the rear bank when VCM is activated is greatly concerning. And electronically controlled motor mounts to deaden vibration out of a balanced engine by design? How much $ was added to MSRP in exchange for 1-2 MPG? I shudder at the thought. Maybe it would be more effective if the valvetrain was continuously engaged without intake/compression/ignition. I'm sure the designers thought of that and said "No".

Thanks for posting that video! Very informative on the technicals and his teardown of the LS1 was great. How can you not be a fan of a mechanic working outside in the snow with his index finger poking out through his mechanic's glove?
I was stunned to learn all the valves close with VCM turns on. I would have though they would default to open to release compression and aid in rolling. I can't believe more head gaskets don't blow on that side.

·
Registered
261 Posts
So what model year engine is this guy tearing down? He says it is from an Accord Hybrid, but never says what year. By my math 417,000 km is about 259,000 miles. If so , that engine has seen a lot of use even though he speculates it has been rebuilt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts