Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Pilot with approx. 140K miles. Recently started hearing a tapping noise (like maybe a month ago). Can't really hear it when the car is first driven, usually takes a few minutes before I can hear it. It gets louder when accelerating and the gears are shifting, and then once it shifts into the next gear, the noise subsides a bit, but never actually goes away.
Had it in to my long-time (trusted) mechanic twice. They said they couldn't pinpoint the noise, but thought it might be the timing belt tensioner. They suggested I go back to the dealership where I had the timing belt replaced back in Sept. because they didn't want to get involved with tearing the whole thing apart.
Dealership called and said they think it's the cam shaft and would be between $1800-$3000 to repair, at least $1000 to open it up and see IF it's the cam shaft.
Anyone have this same or similar noise and have any suggestions?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had a tapping noise on cold startup that was still present no matter what RPM the engine was running at, however once warmed up the noise went away. That was the timing belt tensioner which was cheap and easy to replace.

What you describe doesn't sound like the timing belt tensioner. It might be the accessory belt tensioner, which is even easier to replace than the timing belt tensioner. Have a mechanic test it by starting your car and driving it a bit until you can hear the noise (if the noise is only heard once warmed up, then it should be making the noise by the time you get to a mechanic). Remove the accessory belt and start the car to see if you can still hear the noise.

The problem might still be something else, but this is easy enough to do to test the accessory belt tensioner and rule that out first.

Not to scare you, but it is still possible that a worn camshaft may be causing the noise. There have been a few posts here describing the problem. How long have you owned this Pilot? Do you know the maintenance history? Have the oil changes been performed on schedule? What kind of oil was used? From what I can tell, this worn cam issue seems to be related to improper oil change intervals and/or incorrect oil being used.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Have you watched any videos online to see if anything sounds similar? That helped me identify the timing belt tensioner issue I had.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2009 Pilot with approx. 140K miles. Recently started hearing a tapping noise (like maybe a month ago). Can't really hear it when the car is first driven, usually takes a few minutes before I can hear it. It gets louder when accelerating and the gears are shifting, and then once it shifts into the next gear, the noise subsides a bit, but never actually goes away.
Had it in to my long-time (trusted) mechanic twice. They said they couldn't pinpoint the noise, but thought it might be the timing belt tensioner. They suggested I go back to the dealership where I had the timing belt replaced back in Sept. because they didn't want to get involved with tearing the whole thing apart.
Dealership called and said they think it's the cam shaft and would be between $1800-$3000 to repair, at least $1000 to open it up and see IF it's the cam shaft.
I have a 2009 honda pilot with 160000 on it well taken care of pilot looks new in and out. I started hearing a ticking noise when cold and NO radio on so i took it to the Dealer it was hard for them to hear it i had to rev it up to 4 grand before the head Tech heard it they told me it's a know problem in years 09-12 soft camshafts from the factory i had both change in 8/18 pilot runs like new cost just under 2000 i'm keeping the pilot because of it's condition well worth the 2000

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2009 honda pilot with 160000 on it well taken care of pilot looks new in and out. I started hearing a ticking noise when cold and NO radio on so i took it to the Dealer it was hard for them to hear it i had to rev it up to 4 grand before the head Tech heard it they told me it's a know problem in years 09-12 soft camshafts from the factory i had both change in 8/18 pilot runs like new cost just under 2000 i'm keeping the pilot because of it's condition well worth the 2000

·
Registered
826 Posts
They want you to pay them $1000 to diagnose the problem? Just to open up the valve covers and look at the cams? I would stay away from this dealer. Perhaps do an oil change if it's been a few thousand miles. Use synthetic oil, have your trusted mechanic do it, and drive it for a while and see if it gets louder. Don't give the dealer big money just yet.

If you are convinced that new cams are needed, have your trusted independent wrench give you a price.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Might not be the CAM. Excess carbon buildup on the valves and combustion chamber can cause this too. On the valves, this buildup can cause the noise, or if the chamber has too much buildup, the compression will actually be increased (via less volume from carbon) and you will get "ping" or pre-ignition "tapping". How do I know? I purchased my 2009 EXL 4x4 in spring of last year with 144k miles, and then noticed a pronounced tapping from the engine when under a load and when conditions were quiet (no heavy traffic, etc.). I read about the CAM issue and kept fingers crossed it was not that. I decided to try Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) to see if it would help. You can get the large 1qt bottle at Walmart for $4. Anyway, after several bottles of MMO and high quality fuel (lookup Top Tier Gasoline) the noise is gone. :) I mixed the MMO with the gas (I think it's 4 oz per 10 gallons). Try several bottles and high quality fuel, and see if the noise improves and slowly goes away. It takes some time, stick with it. One nice thing about MMO is you will likely notice better MPG while using it and It will clean the injectors. My guess is I had this type of carbon buildup. MMO is known to remove these deposits, while also cleaning and lubricating the engine. You can also see if 93 octane "super" fuel helps with the noise. If so, you likely have the carbon buildup issue (pre-ignition "tapping" is mitigated by higher octane) and it's probably best to run 93 while you are treating with MMO for a few months. I did this and it worked.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Might not be the CAM. Excess carbon buildup on the valves and combustion chamber can cause this too. On the valves, this buildup can cause the noise, or if the chamber has too much buildup, the compression will actually be increased (via less volume from carbon) and you will get "ping" or pre-ignition "tapping". How do I know? I purchased my 2009 EXL 4x4 in spring of last year with 144k miles, and then noticed a pronounced tapping from the engine when under a load and when conditions were quiet (no heavy traffic, etc.). I read about the CAM issue and kept fingers crossed it was not that. I decided to try Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) to see if it would help. You can get the large 1qt bottle at Walmart for $4. Anyway, after several bottles of MMO and high quality fuel (lookup Top Tier Gasoline) the noise is gone. :) I mixed the MMO with the gas (I think it's 4 oz per 10 gallons). Try several bottles and high quality fuel, and see if the noise improves and slowly goes away. It takes some time, stick with it. One nice thing about MMO is you will likely notice better MPG while using it and It will clean the injectors. My guess is I had this type of carbon buildup. MMO is known to remove these deposits, while also cleaning and lubricating the engine. You can also see if 93 octane "super" fuel helps with the noise. If so, you likely have the carbon buildup issue (pre-ignition "tapping" is mitigated by higher octane) and it's probably best to run 93 while you are treating with MMO for a few months. I did this and it worked.
Psonic has a point. It could be preignition knock. Fill up with premium, if the noise goes away, it's knock.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Could you elaborate?
It could be detonation, or carbon buildup and sludge in the front head. The camshafts are a known problem. The parts are cheap but of course the labor involve in taking apart a dohc and the rocker bridges. For some reason conventional oil without a vcm muzzler will create some carbon buildup.

I personally have a 2009 that has a bad lobe that i identified at 100k valve adjustment even with synthetic oil. I decided to monitor the situation with oil samples, run quality oil filters and also change the oil at 3k miles and i am at 153k miles still with a tick but no misfires.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Im at 165k with a worn lobe and still no misfire. Just sent off an oil analysis and it looks good. So since identified worn cam lobe with tick i have put on 65k with no issues. At this point i almost spent the money at 100k to fix this but decided to monitor it instead and it seems to be the right choice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts