Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up the silver EXL a couple of weeks ago.
Loving it except the gas mileage, until yesterday.
Walked around the back corner and wham rear hatch right in the middle of the forehead. Ouch. Why in the world would they engineer the the rear hatch to open to a height of approximately 6'2" from the ground? After being sensitized, literally, to this, I realized that I have to stand three feet from the rear end in order to load groceries or stand in a stoop if I'm under the hatch. I could be wrong but I don't believe anyone over 6"1 could stand straight under the open hatch. I have been looking at other suv rear doors open and I haven't noticed any that open at eye level when fully open.
If the door simply raised just three more inches it would take care of 99.99% of us elevation advantaged. Also my 100 lb. kid is almost picked up off the ground by the hatch when he opens it!

Any ideas on changing the shock to allow the door to open wider/higher & slower?

Thanks, Ciao
Mooz (6'5")

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
mooz said:
Why in the world would they engineer the the rear hatch to open to a height of approximately 6'2" from the ground?
I got a picture of the Pilot Engineers playing basketball...should explain why they overlooked this fact...:2: :2: :2:

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rear hatch opening/ tailgate

I should warn those that have not had a Pilot for a winter in an area that gets cold.... the rear struts will not push the tailgate up quite as high with the result that even shorter folk can get quite a shot in the forehead. I am 5'11" and have been wacked a couple of times during the winter --now I just reach up a push the gate up to ensure it has reached maximum height.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I'm 6'2" and I haven't owned a car yet whose trunk lid or tailgate wasn't at melon denting height for me. Some, like the Pilot, have sharp corners. In fact, unless I remember to duck, I'm hitting my head on stuff all day long.

But it HA- ... HA- ... HAsn't affected me.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Why in the world would they engineer the the rear hatch to open to a height of approximately 6'2" from the ground?
I'm 6' even and have 'cloned' my head on the tailgate of our volvo wagon (several times; slow learner) and our Pilot, as recent as Friday, as I was walking loading it up from an elevated section in our garage.

In a past job, I did a lot of ergonomic design, including some for the automotive world (assembly, not design).

The limits that the designers were likely designing for with the rear hatch were:
a) high enough for approximately 97% of the target population could walk under the hatch unobstructed and
b) low enough for approximately 97% of the population to comfortably reach up, grab the handle to close the hatch.

Actual numbers may vary, but designing according to these parameters, means that the very tall will bump their heads and the very short will have to jump, hang, parry and thrust the door closed.

Extending the shocks would be interesting, but likely will throw off the balance of the door.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'm 6'5", and just accept that I'll go through life ducking under stuff. The Pilot's tailgate included.:bonk:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think they also took into account opening the tailgate when the Pilot is in a garage. Not that is has much room now but if it was up a few more inches it would be even worse.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
;) not making the rear hatch open fully is good in a way that if you are in a garage and try to open and leave it to go, it will hit the ceiling all the time or break the glass even. that is advantage of side opening hatch in some SUVs(montero?)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Good point on the garage door......

I seem to recall the rear wiper is VERY close to the door frame when I've opened the rear door in the garage. :eek:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hatch in winter

be careful pushing up the rear hatch in winter as some ice or snow may be accumulated in the space between the spoiler and roof causing the spoiler to break, I remember someone having this problem last winter.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I'm 6'2" and whack my head every 6 months or so. The vehicle wouldn't fit in my garage with the door open if it opened any higher.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pilot in the garage

I have an old 94 Chrysler minivan whose tailgate I could always open in the garage. The tailgate came close to, but never touched the open garage door. The Pilot's tailgate does touch the door along a line across the reversing lights. I was afraid that some member of the family would forget about this when unloading the Pilot, so I dropped down to my local Home Depot and purchased some foam rubber pipe insulators. These fit perfectly along the steel door rail which is where the tailgate touches. I'm hoping this will provide some level of protection.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: Re: tall people and the rear hatch door

vellinga said:

The limits that the designers were likely designing for with the rear hatch were:
a) high enough for approximately 97% of the target population could walk under the hatch unobstructed and
b) low enough for approximately 97% of the population to comfortably reach up, grab the handle to close the hatch.

Actual numbers may vary, but designing according to these parameters, means that the very tall will bump their heads and the very short will have to jump, hang, parry and thrust the door closed.
I'm one of the Vertically Challenged people in the world (5' 2"), and with the hatch open, I can comfortably reach the handle. Someone a couple inches shorter than me would have to stretch a little bit, and someone less than 5' would definitely have to stretch.

One of the 97%, :D
MarkB

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
PaulV7 said:
I think they also took into account opening the tailgate when the Pilot is in a garage. Not that is has much room now but if it was up a few more inches it would be even worse.
Yep, it's probably the height of the garage entrance and the height of the owners.

I think the average over-head reach is like 30% of a person's height. So the handle is reachable by people 4.75 feet and taller.

The Jeep GC is a couple inches shorter than the Pilot and the tailgate swings to a higher angle, but reaches the same exact elevation at the Pilot.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm 6'2" and haven't had a problem. I have this funny reflex that makes me duck when I approach an object near head level.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I learned the hard way also. At 6'4", I banged the old head a couple of times before getting the picture.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Yup, at 6'6", there's pretty much nothing made that the old melon wont smack into. It's now natural to duck when going under a hatchback, and in the basement....

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
At 6' 8" it is under eye level so at least I can see it most of the time. I have stood up from bending or crouching and smacked the noggin a few times, but generally not real hard. :3:

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
At 6'1" and follicularly challenged I must remember to duck cuz it always leaves a mark..........:4:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts