Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DID ANYONE READ CAR & DRIVER? IT'S OBVIOUS SOMEONE DOESN'T CARE FOR HONDA'S WHEN ALL HE COULD WRITE ABOUT WAS THAT THE TAILPIPE HANGS TOO LOW FOR AN SUV.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The guy does have a point. He's talking about the exhaust being routed under the rear axle vs over it, not just the tailpipe. A good bottoming out on the rear axle would crush the exhaust. The vehicle would do better offroad with it over, but I'm sure that something would have been sacrificed if Honda ran it that route. It just boils down to the old truck vs minivan based SUV argument, and shows the Pilot's heritage. I personally wouldn't want Honda to change a thing about the design of the vehicle, but I'm not about to try the Rubicon trail either. Offroaders think that the entire SUV market should revolve around their arses, when in fact few SUV's, no matter how off road capable they are, ever go off road.

·
Registered
486 Posts
You're correct homergreg, this platform wasn't designed for stump jumping. The MDX has the same exhaust as well. This is one of those give something up for something else. This design helps allow the fold flat seating inside and independendent rear suspension. I agree with Honda's thinking because even the times I've gone off road in other vehicles, the Pilot's 4wd and 8" of ground clearance would be more than enough. If you need more than that you should have a part time 'crashable' 4x4 with a truck chassis.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Part Time 4WD?

Naw, Full time on the Range Rover works fine.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I meant a vehicle to be used off road part-time, not PT 4WD.
A Range Rover would do it...

I used to borrow a neighbors old Toyota Landbruiser for such occasions...

·
Registered
176 Posts
ditto

MDXlite said:
I meant a vehicle to be used off road part-time, not PT 4WD.
A Range Rover would do it...

I used to borrow a neighbors old Toyota Landbruiser for such occasions...
The few times when I knew I was going someplace the roads didn't are worth the added fuel costs, dicey expressway handling and overall costs of a "monster off raod machine"!

They'll probably see this and gang up on me, but anybody who uses a 4Runner or similar "truck" to commute to their regualr sit-at-a-desk job on the expressway everyday probably has some problems...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts