Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 honda pilot tailgate is not opening. The tailgate touchpad still unlocks and lock doors but not unlatch tailgate. Able to unlatch manually from inside tailgate panel. This issue arose a year ago after a repair to the tailgate after a hit and run. Eventually the autobody shop brought the car to Honda service and had it calibrated. Seamed to fix the problem. Am i able to calibrate it myself at home or do i need to bring it into Honda service? Or are there any other options to fix it?

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
I have no idea what is meant by calibration.....other than adjustment. Only adjustment in a tailgate latch in my experience with humble first gen Pilots was the actual latch itself needing to be aligned correctly. If the third gen has an interior latch release as well as the manual external one, see if you can at least get that door open.
Had you noticed it having trouble latching before it stopped operating?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea what is meant by calibration.....other than adjustment. Only adjustment in a tailgate latch in my experience with humble first gen Pilots was the actual latch itself needing to be aligned correctly. If the third gen has an interior latch release as well as the manual external one, see if you can at least get that door open.
Had you noticed it having trouble latching before it stopped operating?
Appreciate your quick reply. Calibration was the ongoing term the body shop used, i believe it implied that they completely reset the car electrical system. But i could be wrong. As per the latch, there is an internal manual latch that i am able to disengage to open the tailgate but there is no external manual latch, just touch pads.
Also there is no issue with the latch itself keeping the tailgate closed. I was able to open the tailgate 20 minutes before it stopped working.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
How is the alignment of the liftgate? With it closed, the seams should be equal on both sides. This is a good indication if the body shop did the job right.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
The alignment is perfectly centered. No issues opening nor closing in regards to alignment.
Did the body shop repair the liftgate or replace it? If they repaired it, the locking mechanism in the door could be out of kilter or internally broke. It doesn't take much for the release not to work properly.
Can you hear it trying to release?

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I dont hear the latch attempting to unlock.
This is with attempting to open using the key fob (I'm assuming). Have you tried the other key fob?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,845 Posts
I personally wouldn’t waste any more time with this if the repair work is still covered under warranty. Take it back to the body shop and have them correct this issue.

If you have to attempt to fix it yourself you might remove the inside tailgate panel and check for a loose electrical connection.

Good luck with this.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All is good. Everything is working again. I ended up reseting the electrical by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it about an hour later. All of the presets remained and the tailgate is now fully functional. Thank you all for your time and advice.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,845 Posts
Glad to hear you got the issue resolved. Darn electronics!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts