Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Tailgate not latching

4K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  BigDogDad 
#1 ·
My tailgate does not latch unless I'm careful to hold it in the middle while closing. Any closure from off center tends to stay open.

I've had to pull over a couple of times to latch it after thinking it was done, and the other night, my neighbor called to tell me my interior tailgate light was on.

Does anyone else have a finicky tailgate?

#2 ·
Fixable

Like all doors on cars, they're adjustable. take it to your dealer for a warranty adjustment. They can do it while you wait. Simple.

I did have a problem with the spoiler rubbing the roof when the hatch was opened. Adjusted it myself, no more problem.

#3 ·
I'm not directing this towards terrier or MDXlite..

However,

When closing rear lids/tailgates/trunks, you must apply firm pressure to the CENTER of the hatch...

If your the type who prefers to close the lid by the edges, then don't expect to have the lid fully close at times... It doesnt work this way and no technician will be able to fix this...

Next time try closing it with a window or door open..

It could be as simple as "cabin air pressure" making the tailgate difficult to latch properly....

And lastly,

If in any doubt that the lid is fully closed.. why not check the tailgate/trunk/hatch indicator lamp... Its an amazing feature that works wonders.. : )

#4 ·
BreakStuff said:

-snip-
And lastly,

If in any doubt that the lid is fully closed.. why not check the tailgate/trunk/hatch indicator lamp... Its an amazing feature that works wonders.. : )
Great tip!! Reminds me of the night I picked up my new Pilot. I sat there like an idiot for about five minutes trying to figure out how to turn off my interior lights. I finally noticed the tailgate indicater light on. Duh!!!:32:

#5 ·
This one time...

I tried to lock the doors with remote but it didn't work. Tried the other remote but still didn't work. I panicked and thought there was a serious problem. Then I remembered that the manual said remote wouldn't work unless all doors were closed. Checked the indicator lamp and found out tailgate wasn't shut..............

#6 ·
I was wondering if it were just mine having problems. This is the first vehicle that has given me problems with latching the tailgate. Of course optimally you'd want the consumer to swing the gate from the center but I'd recommend they put a handle in the center to encourage this if the design required such a precise hand placement. And by the way, even some of the dead center throws of the tailgates sometimes misses the latch.

I'm going to have it checked at the first service.

Until then, I'll still rely on the alarm system to tell me if I threw a strike.:D

#7 ·
terrier said:
Of course optimally you'd want the consumer to swing the gate from the center but I'd recommend they put a handle in the center to encourage this if the design required such a precise hand placement.
Ditto. If my POS Chevette could latch and stay latched under any kind of abuse, you'd think a Pilot could handle it as well. :p Which makes me think your latch may need to be adjusted. My CR-V's latch popped spontaneously a couple of times, and the dealer said it need to be adjusted - no problems since then. Would have cost $36 if it hadn't been under warranty (actually, they may not have charged me if it hadn't been under warranty, but this gave them an excuse to bill Honda. :rolleyes: )

#8 ·
I think your tailgate need to be adjusted

I always hold the inside handle of the tailgate and swing it down to close.

Not a problem for me. So it must be you tailgate is not adjusted correctly.

To be honest, my wife do not get enough force to do this one swing shut, she has to pull it down with the handle, then push the tailgate on the handle side, to close it shut.

#9 ·
After reading this thread, I now realize why Toyota designed the rear latch on the 4Runner the way they did.

You just gently bring the rear hatch down, then a motorized mechanism grabs the hatch and pulls it the rest of the way shut (I hope I explained this correctly). The salesman seemed excited to show me this feature, but I was not impressed at the time.

I guess if I was a Pilot owner at the time and had the latch problem, I might've been very excited too ;) Maybe something for Honda to think about?

#10 ·
You just gently bring the rear hatch down, then a motorized mechanism grabs the hatch and pulls it the rest of the way shut
Yes, a very nice feature..

But take into consideration..

More fancy features = more possible failures and more money spent for repairs..

I spent a good amount of time(weekly)diagnosing power windows/power door locks,retractable seatbelts(90's).. I rarely, I mean rarely, have to repair the manual models..

So.. you have to ask yourself, are the features of convienence worth the cost of possible repairs in the future?..

#11 ·
BreakStuff said:

Yes, a very nice feature..

But take into consideration..

More fancy features = more possible failures and more money spent for repairs..

I spent a good amount of time(weekly)diagnosing power windows/power door locks,retractable seatbelts(90's).. I rarely, I mean rarely, have to repair the manual models..

So.. you have to ask yourself, are the features of convienence worth the cost of possible repairs in the future?..
Huh? "Fancy" = greater likelihood of failure = more costly repair?

I don't think you can generalize like that. I've had more window cranks break/come loose than power windows fail.

Usually along with "fancy" comes a lot more technology and GREATER reliability.

IMHO

:)

#12 ·
Hi colorider..

Yes, I am correct..

More technology is not a good thing...its cute and it sells cars, but has a greater potential for failure..

I could list many of technologies that don't work as well as the 'days of the old'..

here's an example...

EX Honda Odysseys owners have the rear power sliding door feature and many might disagree with your statement.. Many of these people have nothing but problems with this modern feature..

Surpisingly, not much noise about the LX models and the manual sliding door feature..

Ask me how much a "closer door motor" will be to replace in your vehicle.. You may not like my answer..

#13 ·
BreakStuff said:
Hi colorider..

Yes, I am correct..

More technology is not a good thing...its cute and it sells cars, but has a greater potential for failure..

I could list many of technologies that don't work as well as the 'days of the old'..

here's an example...

EX Honda Odysseys owners have the rear power sliding door feature and many might disagree with your statement.. Many of these people have nothing but problems with this modern feature..

Surpisingly, not much noise about the LX models and the manual sliding door feature..

Ask me how much a "closer door motor" will be to replace in your vehicle.. You may not like my answer..
Days of old? Are you suggesting we go back to radios with vacuum tubes? How about tube-type tires? Vacuum windshield wipers with no windshield washers? Mechanical DRUM brakes?

You may feel more comfy/safe in that type of vehicle - I don't.

Sorry - I've been there. I'll stick with today's technology.

YMMV

#18 ·
kemosabe said:
Mine was a 2-door - and I don't think the one pictured is a '53. Seems like the gril was different on mine. Mine had the FireDome V8 hemi.

It was a real boat of a car actually. My Dad use to tell me that it was the only car I couldn't "tear up". I sold it to a friend named Pierre when I went in the Navy in '62.

Ah - the good ole days!!:2:

#21 ·
kemosabe said:
Yeah, other than for a few trim pieces, they both look like the '53 DeSoto!!! And what an ugly grill piece, in my opinion -- reminds me of that character "Jaws" (played by Richard Kiel) from the James Bond movies!!!! :D
They were certainly "classics" in any case!!! The auto industry has come a LONG way in 50 years!!

YMMV

#22 ·
loose tailgate latch

Hello-

The tailgate latching unit (appears to be separate from the tailgate body) is loose on our car and is causing it to not latch properly unless we slam the tailgate down. Is this latching unit suppose to be loose (able to slid it)? If not, how do you tighten it so it does move? Thanks

#23 ·
Re: loose tailgate latch

okii said:
Hello-

The tailgate latching unit (appears to be separate from the tailgate body) is loose on our car and is causing it to not latch properly unless we slam the tailgate down. Is this latching unit suppose to be loose (able to slid it)? If not, how do you tighten it so it does move? Thanks
Tailgate latch is not supposed to move. Also you shouldn't have to "slam" the tailgate at all unless you want to break something. :D

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.