Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a little upgrading to my OEM stereo. Although everything is installed and working, it is not completely installed (i.e. wires still not hidden). My upgrade was pretty basic. First off I started by adding two amps (installed under the driver's seat). I added a set of component Boston Acoustics in the front and Boston Acoustic reference speakers in the rear. I also added a 10" Infinity sub in an enclosed box. I left the OEM headunit so that I can keep the steering wheel controls, plus I didn't like the look of a smaller radio in the spot of the bigger OEM radio. I also added a Delphi Skyfi XM radio to the system. I have added a few photos of what I have done so far. Sorry for the quality of the photos, but all I have is the Sony miniDV cam to take pictures.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Picture # 1

Attachments

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Picture # 2

Attachments

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Picture # 3

Attachments

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picture # 4

Attachments

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picture # 5

Attachments

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Looks good. I need to look into an XM setup.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Looks good!

FLPilot, the Delphi looks good. I'm getting ready to install my SKYFi or have it installed, so please bear with a couple of questions:
  1. Which mount did you use?
  2. Does it get in the way of the passenger's left leg mounted this low?
  3. Where did you mount the antenna and how did you route the wire?
  4. It looks like you're using the cassette adapter. How well is it working with the Pilot radio?
    [/list=1]
    Thanks,
    shutrbug

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Looks good!

shutrbug said:
FLPilot, the Delphi looks good. I'm getting ready to install my SKYFi or have it installed, so please bear with a couple of questions:
  1. Which mount did you use?
  2. Does it get in the way of the passenger's left leg mounted this low?
  3. Where did you mount the antenna and how did you route the wire?
  4. It looks like you're using the cassette adapter. How well is it working with the Pilot radio?
    [/list=1]
    Thanks,
    shutrbug

1. #1- I used a Pro Fit bracket. You can go here ---> PRO FIT I bought it from HERE. If you buy from them you save $10 right now.

#2- It doesn't get in the way at all.

#3- I have not permanently installed the antenna. I think I am gonna install it on the dash and run it down behind the radio. There is a little black plug on the dash near the windshield. Someone else did it that way, just click on this link ---> LINKED

#4- I am using the cassette adapter right now. It actually sounds great believe it or not. I thought for sure it wouldn't. I actually bought the Blitzsafe (CLICK HERE ) adapter and then you can buy the RCA's (LIKE THIS ). That way the RCA comes from behing the radio down the right side and then up to the unit. I will have it installed this way by next week.

The only other thing I am working on now is trying to hookup another female side 12V plug under the radio area and plug the Delphi there so it is out of the way. If you need any assistance please feel free to ask. I will go find all of my invoices if you want so you know what I paid.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jay keep an eye out. When I got mine a few weeks ago, it was on sale for $99 down from $129 and also $30 rebate from XM Radio so the total will be $69.00

You will also need the vehicle adapter which I got for $60, but normally run $69.00

If I find any good deals again I will post.

·
Registered
608 Posts
nice system :D

got one question though...unrelated (?) to the stereo. why do you have three buttons under the driver's side a/c vent?
Cruise Control; Interior Lights; ???

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
FLPilot said:
Sorry for the quality of the photos, but all I have is the Sony miniDV cam to take pictures.
I think the picture quality is great. How in th world do you protect the sub woofer from damage when you put cargo in back??

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your compliments guys/gals. I will again post pictures when it is all final.

iivtecracerii the switch all the way on the right is the fog light switch as m-mmeyer has indicated.

florida_guy No ever goes back there, plus if there is any chance of damage I can just spin it around to face the wall. Yeah I know it should be tied down, but I have the cargo tray so not an easy way of doing that. I do have a thin cover for the sub, just can't get it to stay on.

·
Registered
330 Posts
FLPilot said:
Yeah I know it should be tied down, but I have the cargo tray so not an easy way of doing that.
Just don't get into a roll-over accident that that sub loose in the back! I'd hate to have a 20-30 pound box with sharp edges bouncing around in the passenger compartment in an accident!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Officer FLPilot: Pretty nice setup -- I'm definitely impressed!!! Where did you find the time between working the graveyard shift, jet skiing, and logging on to honda-pilot.org to do the installation??? :p

Only thing missing from your pics is the SPIII...!!! :D

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
FLPilot said:

florida_guy No ever goes back there, plus if there is any chance of damage I can just spin it around to face the wall. Yeah I know it should be tied down, but I have the cargo tray so not an easy way of doing that. I do have a thin cover for the sub, just can't get it to stay on.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to find a different solution because I'm always going to have stuff back there and lots of it. That's why I'm buying an SUV in the first place. My Accord trunk is stuffed and I have to keep some stuff in the back seat.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Sweet, FLPilot! Although, you should keep the volume down or you may have to give yourself a ticket for excessive noise and disturbing the peace:2:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry it took so long for the replies. I took a mini-trip to Lake Placid (central FL) with my family and yep, had a lot of water personal craft time in the water too Kemo. :4:

shutrbug You are totally correct. Actually leaving anything in the vehicle unsecured can do a lot of damage. I have actually seen some weird things from head-on collisions or even single vehicle into a tree accidents. Things that people would generally leave loose in their vehicle are to all be considered deadly missiles in an accident. Unfortunately being that I need to be able to move the box out without any long uninstallation problems, I am leave it like that for now.

Kemo Thanks! Actually I had a little help installing it. Or should I say I helped them. I bought my system in 1996 when I had my T-Bird from Sound Advise. They have/had a policy that if they install your system, they will uninstall and reinstall your system for life in every vehicle you have. Of course I was there the entire time because I trust no one with my Pilot now. The installer actually didn't mind since I have installed a few systems in my teen years (I used to be one of those kids driving around with BOOM BOOM BOOM coming out of my car). Funny you should mention the SPIII. My buddy from work went to Canada and was driving. He is the kind of guy that thinks I am a gadget freak and that life was normal before cell phones, GPS units, and the internet. Well I let him borrow the SPIII for this trip and half way up he called me telling me how much he loved it. Anyway that is why it's not in the pictures.

Jiaronnis Yeah I know. Actually it sounds really good and not a lot of bass. Just enough to make you hear the beat and not the rumbling. Now that I have the system installed the radio is hardly ever on the second bar (volume control). But I have gone up to 5 bars and there is no distortion at all! I love it!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finished my upgrade

I finally finished having everything installed and put into place. I am a little disappointed with the Blitzsafe that I bought to be used with the XM Radio. I have the Blitzsafe attacked the the back of the radio so the headunit thinks its a cd changer. I then have the RCA's running behind the unit into the little storage area under the A/C unit controls (I put a small hole in the back). The sound is considerably low quality is not that great compared to the sound from the tape adapter. As you might be able to see in the updated pictures, I am still using the tape adapter now because it sounds so much better. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Anyway, I previously posted that both my amps were under the driver's seat and we have not put one amp under each front seat. The XM antenna is running down behind the head unit. Feel free to criticize anything you see that I should have done differently. I pretty much just wanted to make sure I had good quality sound for my long trip coming up.

Picture #1 shows you a closeup of the ProFit bracket I used to hold the Delphi unit.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts