Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

synthetic oil?

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  undivide 
#1 ·
Just joined the forum. I have had 3 pilots the last one was 2006 with 150,000 trouble free miles. My wife just purchased a 2020 touring with 8k miles. Ok to my question. If I go synthetic will the Honda oil monitor still give me a alert around 5k miles? I can't imagine it making the compensation for different oils.

What say you? Thanks in advance for the info.

#9 · (Edited)
The MM does not “read longer lasting fluids” Algorithms are programmed into the ECU. How the vehicle is driven along with driving conditions trigger the MM.

My MM recently displayed 15% at 11 months with only 3475 miles driven. 99% of my driving is short trip, in town, stop-n-go.......tough on motor oil, thus the low mileage. Some folks that do mostly highway driving see 15% at almost 10K miles on an oil change.

#15 ·
I believe the 5k alert was the original pre-MM programming many manufacturers were using around the early 2000's
Nothing wrong with 5k or 10k or 15k. The oil will continue the lubricate just fine. It's the additive package that's blended with the lubricant that gets "used up" and once it is unable to keep the "contaminants" suspended in the fluid they "fall out" and start to form deposits. Whatever brand fluid you decide to trust is completely up to you and should do your own research and settle on a brand(s) that help you sleep at night. All other specs should follow the recommendations of Honda

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.