Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of replacing my headlights with Sylvania Silver Stars. While in another thread we debated the actual claims of "brighter" from an actual distance lit/reflectivity/power/wattage, etc., the real reason that I purchased the Silver Stars was for cosmetic reasons. I prefer a whiter color bulb as opposed to a more yellow look.

So far I have only replaced 1 bulb. I took some photos of the results and it looks promising. I plan to leave the other stock bulb in until it gets dark tonight when I'll take a few more shots for those who were wanting to really see the difference. It won't be much longer until it gets dark as we've already had the harvest moon. :(

There was some confusion about what model number to order. If you go through a bulb selector similar to the one that they have on Sylvania's site, it calls for a 9003. The guys I got my Silver Stars from (SUV Concepts, an eBay seller) they said that 9003=H4, so I ordered a set of H4 bulbs from them. Upon reciept, the bulbs actually do list 9003 on the package. In fact, when I pulled the OEM Honda bulb out, it says both H4 and 9003 on the metal base.

Here are the daytime results. This first shot is of the stock bulb.

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the Silver Star replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This pic is the reason that I want to wait until tonight to get a better shot. I think the camera is playing tricks and the center spots look nearly equal. A clue that something funny is going on can be seen by looking at the wall. The wall is actually very white, but looks almost yellow in the pic. If you look at the surrounding halo or fringe area of the lighting pattern, you can see some of the difference, but not much. To the naked eye, the difference between the bulbs is pretty significant.

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the only night pic that even comes close to showing a difference and even it's pretty disappointing. Please keep in mind that it's just the pictures that aren't turning out. I'm very satisfied with the results of the Silver Stars. When pulling back into the garage after everything was done I can definitely tell a difference. It was definitely brighter. I attribute this brightness to the reflectivity of the lighter bulb color, not to any "increased power".

End results
For those of you looking to see farther down the road at night, spring for a set of HIDs. These will not help you see greater distances. If you are simply looking to brighten up what is in view now, the Silver Stars will definitely do the job. The whiter cast is easy on the eyes and to me it was worth the $47.75 I paid.

Chris

Night pic. Again, disappointing from a photographic standpoint only. You have to look close to see that the drivers side glow is lighter than the passenger side. Again, in person the difference is much more dramatic.

Attachments

·
Registered
664 Posts
Chris
Are there any claims of these bulbs burning out faster or lasting longer than the OEM bulbs. I seem to recall some of the early 'blue' lights burning out very quickly.

Putting both pics on the same screen is a noticeable difference. The bright white looks really good too. It almost makes the passgr. side look dirty!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
xyzzy said:
Here is the only night pic that even comes close to showing a difference and even it's pretty disappointing. Please keep in mind that it's just the pictures that aren't turning out. [snip]
Nah, don't worry, xyzzy. We thank you for going through the trouble of taking the picture and putting them up for us. I'm convinced. I'm gonna start phoning around for those bulbs :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
banningjr said:
Chris
Are there any claims of these bulbs burning out faster or lasting longer than the OEM bulbs. I seem to recall some of the early 'blue' lights burning out very quickly.

Putting both pics on the same screen is a noticeable difference. The bright white looks really good too. It almost makes the passgr. side look dirty!

Thanks
I haven't heard either way about them burning out or lasting longer. Electrically, the bases look identical and carry the same markings. I'm guessing it's the filament that changes. I'm not sure what other properties of the filament change to achieve the color difference, so I can't say. Any professional opinions out there on this?

Chris

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
davemac said:
sweet chainsaw, can I borrow?:eek:
No way! I love my Stihl power tools. Get your own! The steel shafted trimmer hanging next to the saw is what does the real damage. I use it to take down small trees instead of the saw. It cleans them off at ground level without fear of grounding the chain (saw chains HATE mud, dulls them instantly). The Stihl blower makes quick work of "sweeping" after mowing and also dries the Pilot off enough that it only takes one small towel to finish the job.

Chris

·
Registered
240 Posts
Very nice!:29: Thanks for sharing! I am going to replace the bulbs in my wife's Pilot for sure. She has been jealous of my HID's on the S2000 for quite some time.:p

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Lights (A bit long)

A few facts about halogen lights.

Size, H4 vs. HB2 vs. 9003
These are esentially the same.
The diffrence is in how tightly the bulb specification must be held.
If the filiment is not extacly in the right spot the reflector and lense can not aim the light well.
From my understanding the specifications were developed in that order. So H4 is the most generic name, HB2 is basically a US DOT legal H4, and 9003 is the latest.
Also. since the power is specified for the 9003 (and maybe HB2) bulbs over 60/55W must be labled H4 only.

Brightness and whitness.
Any incandesant lamp will put out more light and whiter light as the filement is made to opperate hotter. This is true even if the power in Watts is the same.
This is what makes a halogen lamp brighter and whiter than a standard incandesent. The high pressure gas in the bulb allows the filement to be designed to run hotter at the same power.
Unfortunetly as the filement is designed to run hotter it also will have a shorter life.
This is why most of the earlier high brighness (not to be confused with high power) bulbs had relitively short life spans.
As blub technology has improved the bulb manufacturers now have a choice to produce a bulb with more life, or more light.
Most of the companies producing these +50% blubs also make bulbs that produce the standard amont of light but have extended life spans, "Long Life Bulbs".
I would assume the +30% bulbs fall somewhere in between.

There are a few reasons why the high power blubs are not as popular as the high brightness bulbs.
Since the laws control the Wattage of the bulbs, these 80/100 and 100/130 Watt bulbs are labled for "Off Road Use Only", and as such have a smaller potential market. In addition most of the cars today are designed specifically for the heat and electrical load of the standard bulbs.
The extra heat of the high power bulbs MAY (I have not seen this) cause damage to the headlight.
The extra current required by the high power bulbs may damage the wiring, connectors, or switches in the headlight system (This I have seen!)

As always have fun.
Anyone want to compare the Phillips and Osram +50% bulbs to tell me if they see any difference?

I put the Phillips in both my CR-V and my Pilot simply because they were less $$.

Check out www.powerbulbs.com

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Lights (A bit long)

N_Jay said:
The extra heat of the high power bulbs MAY (I have not seen this) cause damage to the headlight.
The extra current required by the high power bulbs may damage the wiring, connectors, or switches in the headlight system (This I have seen!)
These are some of the reasons that I wanted to stick with with the same voltage. Again, noticable improvement with little cash spent, and no electrical differences. I'm very happy with the results.

Thanks for the additional information. Good stuff!

Chris

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks

Excellent posts. Thanks very much to you both for the continuing good info on this subject. I noticed on the Phillips link the following claim:

"Up to 50% more light on the road
20 metres longer beam"

I have to say that to me brighter is the same as more light. I think I can tell you both think that the bulbs are brighter by a significant amount. With regard to a longer beam - it seems like I've heard that the replacements don't give you longer beams, in fact they give some folks shorter beams. The implication I get from the back and forth on this is that one may need to adjust the beam hight to take advantage of the longer distance possible with Silverstars or Phillips Vision Plus. Again thanks for the posts.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
beam length

The low beam length should not change with the new bulbs.
Since they are brighter you will see the cut off more clearly.
You may decide that they were always aimed too low.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Re: beam length

N_Jay said:
The low beam length should not change with the new bulbs.
Since they are brighter you will see the cut off more clearly.
You may decide that they were always aimed too low.
As I recall you did reaim yours. About how many feet did you extend the throw of the light? Do you get any reaction from on coming autos? Thanks.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
have not yet

Waiting till it gets a bit darker a bit earlier so I can use the parking lot and the wall of the building.

My CR-V seems about right, strait from the box.
The Pilot seems a bit low, Not so bad that I am worried, but not to my liking.

As I said in another thread; I think they may aim them for a vehicle loaded with more people and cargo than the typical 2 to 4 people.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Silver Stars

Advance Auto Parts [Western PA] has Silver Stars advertised for $22 each for October. I have not competitively priced them so can't say if that's good, bad, or in between.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Almost exactly what I paid over the net. It's a good price. I looked for them at all of the big chains (including Advance), but none in my area carried them.

Chris

1 - 20 of 131 Posts