Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day had about 700 to 800 lbs in passenger load, full fuel tank when we went for a ride.

The pilot has a very Swoopy suspension characteristic during the ride. A very unrefined feel to the suspension behavior/feel.

Generally there is just about 3-400 lbs in load and full fuel tank, the suspension behaves very refined under these conditions. What gives?

Is the design only fit for limited loads?

Worried how it would behave with a 500 lb load and a 2.5K trailer in tow.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I recently went to dinner with 5 people (about 700 lbs) on a full tank of gas and didn't notice any adverse effect to the ride quality. It was still smooth as before. Handling was relatively unaffected also.

That said, the reality is, there are compromises in any suspension tuning. If you want a comfortable ride, the suspenion may be too soft to take a full load. If you make the springs stiff enough to carry a heavy load, the ride quality will suffer.

Personally, I think the suspension tuning of the Pilot fits a very wide range of uses pretty well.

Glen

·
Registered
68 Posts
Went up to Lake Tahoe and Reno about a week ago with a full load of 5 adults and 2 children and some luggage. The ride was excellent and the power was better than expected climbing the mountains in higher altitude.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do like the ride and handling at about 4-500 lbs payload but after that my EX-L behaved more like the caddy of days gone bye. But perhaps its just a matter of getting used to the way it takes those little hillocks on two lane roads!

On the open highway the handling was unaffected, noticed it switching out to a lower gear more often however. Don't know about the mpg as did not track it for the trip.

Overall its a great car so far, just wondering if the shocks could have been a bit more sophisticated or could be changed out for such.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
I have had 7 people in the car....guess around 1000lb....did not notice any adverse handling....:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Aftermarket Shocks

If they are not out already, I'm sure that Tokico will be coming out with some shocks for the Pilot...they offer a stiffer ride and might suit your needs if you plan on heavier payloads.

I've got the Tokico's on my '97 Civic and it handles like a dream...comfortable on the highway and responsive when I get on it a bit...plus you can't beat the lifetime warrenty! If they ever wear out, you just send them back and they will send you new ones!

:2:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Diesel-Lover said:
its a great car so far, just wondering if the shocks could have been a bit more sophisticated or could be changed out for such.
I don't know what aftermarket suspension parts are available for the Pilot. However, if you plan on upgrading the suspension, you should purchase matched shocks and springs. You will need to increase the spring rate to carry a heavier load w/o bottoming out the suspenion. Once you increase the spring rate, you will need to pair them with shocks that have a stiffer rebound stroke. If you don't the stock shocks will not have enough rebound dampening to control the increased spring rate.

Glen

·
Registered
115 Posts
Diesel-Lover said:
The other day had about 700 to 800 lbs in passenger load, full fuel tank when we went for a ride.

The pilot has a very Swoopy suspension characteristic during the ride. A very unrefined feel to the suspension behavior/feel.

Generally there is just about 3-400 lbs in load and full fuel tank, the suspension behaves very refined under these conditions. What gives?

Is the design only fit for limited loads?

Worried how it would behave with a 500 lb load and a 2.5K trailer in tow.
Did a 1500 round trip with a load of 6 people and 10 day's worth of luggage inside and on top. Probbly similar to your passenger load but lots moe weight in luggage. tank was full to half during the trip as i filled it once in a while.

The Pilot has a higher center of gravity than a passenger car and a firmer ride than most. I didn't feel anything I would call swoopy. It was fine and very comfortable. Unless constrained, I was often. driving between 70 and 80 miles a hour mountainous area many curves. No problems with control or the ride. :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I recently loaded about 500 lb of rock in the back of my Pilot. On the return to my home I traveled the highway at 70+ mph speeds. I felt it was much more difficult than normal to keep the Pilot on a straight line. I was also surprised at how much the back end sank under what I considered a moderate load.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Okay folks, here's the deal. The Pilot is a car, not a truck!!
If the suspesion was beefed up to haul a heavy load and handle good then everyone would complain because the ride was too harsh the other 98% when driving empty.

My truck beats you to death when empty, but put 2K pounds in the back and it rides great (500 lbs wouldn't even make it ride nice).

This is a family car and meant to handle like one. Put 500 lbs in the trunk of your Accord and see how it handles.

I think the Pilot suspension is just fine for what it's made for.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re: Re: Swoopy Suspension Any One?

Loutog said:

Did a 1500 round trip with a load of 6 people and 10 day's worth of luggage inside and on top. Probably similar to your passenger load but lots more weight in luggage. Tank was full to half during the trip as I filled it once in a while.

The Pilot has a higher center of gravity than a passenger car and a firmer ride than most. I didn't feel anything I would call swoopy. It was fine and very comfortable. Unless constrained, I was often. driving between 70 and 80 miles a hour mountainous area many curves. No problems with control or the ride. :cool: :cool:
(SORRY: I was trying to edit my typos- did not mean to re post. - my fault)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts