Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the switch on the bottom of the steering lock assembly does on an '07 Pilot? It's circled in the attached pict. The leads go to the plastic unit mounted under the immobilizer around the ignition key hole . Thanks!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Does anyone know what the switch on the bottom of the steering lock assembly does on an '07 Pilot? It's circled in the attached pict. The leads go to the plastic unit mounted under the immobilizer around the ignition key hole . Thanks!
View attachment 132493
Suggest that you get a wiring diagram for your Pilot and check out the details for the colored leads pictured. That's what I would do to puzzle out this question if I needed to know.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
What are you trying to achieve?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The worn ignition lock tumblers jammed and I was unable turn the key to start the vehicle. A common problem from what I’ve read. I was away from home and attempted to do a work around to avoid a tow. Too much force and I snapped the shaft that went through the steering lock mechanism to the ignition switch. So after it was towed home, I wanted to get it running until I was able to get the parts. The steering lock assembly is all one part and would need to be replaced. Knowing that it was shot I removed the broken shaft, removed the latch responsible for locking the steering wheel and was using a long flat head screwdriver to reach through the now empty ignition key hole to the starter switch. I would hold the key next to the immobilizer to read the chip as I turned the screwdriver to start. Not wanting to get stranded again I wanted to make sure I knew what everything was. The only part of the ignition lock assembly I did not know what it did was, what I thought at the time was a switch, at the bottom of the assembly. The one circled in the pict above, the steering column lock solenoid.

Now, after looking at the cost of a replacement lock assembly, new keys and reprogramming, and being cheap, I might just stick with the screwdriver. But it’s darn inconvenient to need two hands to start the car. So I took some metal rod, pounded the end into a flat head and mounted the key fob to the top. Jerry-rigged but works just fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts