Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,438 Posts
There are a few receiver mounted tire carriers out there.

The area to be careful of is to ensure your tail lights and tag are visible. You definitely want it to swing away so you can open the tailgate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a few receiver mounted tire carriers out there.

The area to be careful of is to ensure your tail lights and tag are visible. You definitely want it to swing away so you can open the tailgate.
We're looking at this hitch and installing it ourselves. Not sure which swing out tire carrier. Do you have any recommendations? It would be nice if it would carry a jerry can(s) as well.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-75599.html

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,850 Posts
Had a swing out spare carrier on my Blazer.

Disadvantages;
  • Had to move it each time I wanted to access the rear cargo area.
  • Had to be careful not to ding any family members when I swung it out.
  • Made a rusty, creaking sound when I did. WD-40 helped for about two days.
  • In dense city parallel parking, sometimes there was no room to swing it out, so couldn't access rear cargo area.
  • Rear lug lock to discourage thieves from this high-hanging fruit.
Advantages:
  • More cargo space inside.
  • Extra rear safety crash bar.
  • Parallel parkers did tend to give me a little more space behind. Perhaps they were psychologically bullied.
  • Looks butch.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
We have a 2007 Honda Pilot, looking to add probably a hitch receiver + swing out spare tire carrier, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions or pics?
If you are on a budget (who isn't?) check this out and buy all 3 components

If money is NOT the issue

Wilco Offroad Hitchgate SoloXL Spare Tire Carrier - UHG32206!{7836}!{3}!389350609662!!!u!293946777986!&ecmp=s:google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gp=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgtWDBhDZARIsADEKwgMKT7Jd1iPyJ-m2-V5eDWi_oP8Hp3-2N-_ELrAN4igjZoT30u2B5lEaAvNIEALw_wcB

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,438 Posts
I don’t know any “good” brand. Googling receiver hitch tire carriers brought up many options.

·
Registered
613 Posts
What's the advantage of rear-mounting the spare on a Pilot?

In mine, even with a full-size spare, the tire underneath is not the lowest exposed point. You waste a lot of volume by not using that spot for something.

Of course, "looks butch" isn't nothing.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,850 Posts
If you are on a budget (who isn't?) check this out and buy all 3 components

If money is NOT the issue

Wilco Offroad Hitchgate SoloXL Spare Tire Carrier - UHG32206!{7836}!{3}!389350609662!!!u!293946777986!&ecmp=s:google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gp=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgtWDBhDZARIsADEKwgMKT7Jd1iPyJ-m2-V5eDWi_oP8Hp3-2N-_ELrAN4igjZoT30u2B5lEaAvNIEALw_wcB
But if you didn't mount it in front, which is another kettle of fish, wouldn't you have to remove it every time you wanted to open the liftgate?

Full size (and even 17") spare fits down underneath where the at this point useless OEM donut was, even with my OEM hitch receiver. And you can use the rear hitch for something else.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
But if you didn't mount it in front, which is another kettle of fish, wouldn't you have to remove it every time you wanted to open the liftgate?
Check out the Amazon link I posted as a savvy overlander combined the trailer hitch tire mount with the folding trailer hitch shank mount to make a custom inexpensive foldable spare tire mount. The expensive version is nearly $900

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,299 Posts
Forget swing out mount. If Toyota can do this, It can be done on a Pilot too.

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.