Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'll echo what others have said about removing the existing end-links: if you can't IMMEDIATELY get it off with a socket and pliers, don't waste any more of your time. Get a sawzall or an angle grinder and saw them off.

The new Moog ones I put one (about 6 months ago) look sturdy and easy to remove (unlike the old ones).

--Chris N.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'll echo what others have said about removing the existing end-links: if you can't IMMEDIATELY get it off with a socket and pliers, don't waste any more of your time. Get a sawzall or an angle grinder and saw them off.

The new Moog ones I put one (about 6 months ago) look sturdy and easy to remove (unlike the old ones).

--Chris N.
yeah that’s what I think I’m going to have to do unfortunately....

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,292 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Honda Pilot
12 Posts
Passenger side front sway bar end link (I think that’s what they’re called) boot is completely torn and causing quite a bit of creaking.
Seem to be relatively easy to replace but I want to go ahead and replace the driver side as well. Any brand recommendations? I really prefer to avoid RockAuto just because I don’t want to pay shipping/wait. Has anyone used Napa or the other parts store brands?
Thanks!
MOOG makes a good end link. I had to go with adjustable aftermarket end links due to the lift but the brand is reputable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Passenger side front sway bar end link (I think that’s what they’re called) boot is completely torn and causing quite a bit of creaking.
Seem to be relatively easy to replace but I want to go ahead and replace the driver side as well. Any brand recommendations? I really prefer to avoid RockAuto just because I don’t want to pay shipping/wait. Has anyone used Napa or the other parts store brands?
Thanks!
I used AM auto parts free shipping

·
Registered
2013 honda pilot EXL
36 Posts
Thanks!
Did my 2013, ordered links from Amazon, 33 bucks for both, front only. Very easy to replace

·
Registered
41 Posts
My bolts were so rusted tight, I lowered the subframe to get better access with a socket an breaker bar. (I soaked with PB blaster for several days ahead of time). View attachment 148536
Ok so in this picture you show, the bushing seems to have a lot of cracks. At what point you would you (in your collective opinion) say that is time to change?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Ok so in this picture you show, the bushing seems to have a lot of cracks. At what point you would you (in your collective opinion) say that is time to change?
I wouldn’t replace based on the appearance alone. How does the car drive? Mine have some cracks in them, but I’m not experiencing any issues. Considering spraying some silicone spray on them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced my sway bar links last weekend. It requires a breaker bar and you will need some penetrating oil (and some heat) to break the lower link bolt loose. I also replaced the bushings. The passenger side bushing was difficult because of a hose that is reducing the clearance to the rear bolt.
All in all, it was not too difficult. I ordered my parts from Honda parts online to go OEM. But, if I found some links with grease zerks I would probably do that so they could be maintained.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
I wouldn’t replace based on the appearance alone. How does the car drive? Mine have some cracks in them, but I’m not experiencing any issues. Considering spraying some silicone spray on them.
Or even better a polymer that rejuvenates the rubber. Yup, you guessed it...

I also replaced the bushings. The passenger side bushing was difficult because of a hose that is reducing the clearance to the rear bolt.
That would be the driver side, though, right? A helpful tip is to use a half moon wrench.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX
20 Posts
Replaced front, & rear on our 06 LX with ones I found on eBay! for $31.52 with tax & free shipping.
Not sure of the brand, but they were heavier than the OEM, and have the grease fittings.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Replaced front, & rear on our 06 LX with ones I found on eBay! for $31.52 with tax & free shipping.
Not sure of the brand, but they were heavier than the OEM, and have the grease fittings.
I bought NAPA brand ones. They were heavier and had grease fittings as well. I am weary of ordering parts off of eBay due to the number of bad stories I've heard from people. As this car gets older and higher mileage, I suspect I'll find myself on eBay to avoid spending tons of money on parts as things will inevitably start to break more often.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX
20 Posts
I bought NAPA brand ones. They were heavier and had grease fittings as well. I am weary of ordering parts off of eBay due to the number of bad stories I've heard from people. As this car gets older and higher mileage, I suspect I'll find myself on eBay to avoid spending tons of money on parts as things will inevitably start to break more often.
The thing with eBay! is you have to check the sellers feedback ratings, and read their reviews.
Also keep an eye on their shipping costs, they can make what looks like a good deal not so good.
I'm also not above going through the salvage yards looking for parts. I'm retired so that dictates what I can spend.
How about a set of the high edged style winter floor mats for $10.00 complete with the one for the cargo area?
Also got a pair of nearly new Gabriel Ultra G rear shocks for $15.00 off of an Odyssey van which cured a banging sound in the rear that I wasn't sure if it was shock related. Turns out I replaced the originals that had 270K miles on them.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Note to self: It's been far too long since I took an afternoon of me-time to go salvage yard window-shopping. :)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts