Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a used 2006 Honda pilot awd with a bad motor. found a good deal on a used engine. I did not know at the time that the motor in my pilot was a j35a9 and that the engine I purchased was a j35a7. since the heads were different I swapped the heads and installed a new belt and water pump at that time.

Now since the pilot didn't run when I got it I don't know if it had any previous problems. the engine went in fine and runs well with no noises or anything. My only problem now is that I have a reoccurring p2647 code.

I have checked the oil level (obviously) it is okay. My oil pressure at the oil pressure switch is above 65psi. The VTEC pressure switch switches from on to off when revving the engine above 2200rpm. The VTEC solenoid will not switch from off to on. There seems to be no command from the pcm/ecu.

I have swapped the entire VTEC housing and switches with known good parts with no change. I also swapped in a known good PCM/ECU with no change.

Has anyone run into this problem or done this swap? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
So I bought a used 2006 Honda pilot awd with a bad motor. found a good deal on a used engine. I did not know at the time that the motor in my pilot was a j35a9 and that the engine I purchased was a j35a7. since the heads were different I swapped the heads and installed a new belt and water pump at that time.

Now since the pilot didn't run when I got it I don't know if it had any previous problems. the engine went in fine and runs well with no noises or anything. My only problem now is that I have a reoccurring p2647 code.

I have checked the oil level (obviously) it is okay. My oil pressure at the oil pressure switch is above 65psi. The VTEC pressure switch switches from on to off when revving the engine above 2200rpm. The VTEC solenoid will not switch from off to on. There seems to be no command from the pcm/ecu.

I have swapped the entire VTEC housing and switches with known good parts with no change. I also swapped in a known good PCM/ECU with no change.

Has anyone run into this problem or done this swap? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
There is still a chance that the solenoid is not working, even though it came off another vehicle. Especially if it was from an old high milage one. I'm assuming the spool filter is clean. Test the solenoid or buy a new one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is still a chance that the solenoid is not working, even though it came off another vehicle. Especially if it was from an old high milage one. I'm assuming the spool filter is clean. Test the solenoid or buy a new one.
I replaced the screen/gasket when I swapped the housings. I tested the solenoid and the resistance is within specs. I can turn the solenoid on and off with a scan tool with the engine not running. The tool won't allow this with the engine running. When the vtec oil pressure switch turns from on to off I think that the vtec solenoid is suppose to get 12v from the ecu. I am not getting voltage and it then turns on the check engine light. I am curios is it looking for another input that it isn't getting?

·
Registered
242 Posts
That's got to be frustrating. Seems like you got the knowledge and tools to troubleshoot but there's so much electronics and bs on these newer cars and they are always piling more "things" on. Bring it to the Honda "professionals" and they will start part changing until code disappears, even with all their equipment and "knowledge" Keep on trucking. Miss the old pre emission days when you and a friend would start an engine swap in the morning, without a lift, and be on the road by late afternoon.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
The J35A7 is a FWD drive motor , wondering if that may have something to do with the issue. I could be wrong but I thought you could not install a FWD motor into a AWD vehicle .

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
The J35A7 is a FWD drive motor , wondering if that may have something to do with the issue. I could be wrong but I thought you could not install a FWD motor into a AWD vehicle .
I think your on to something. The VVT assemblies are different for AWD vs 2WD. The question is are they interchangeable on the engine block?

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I think your on to something. The VVT assemblies are different for AWD vs 2WD. The question is are they interchangeable on the engine block?
I'm fearful that they are not interchangeable based on the spool gasket. I hope we're wrong.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I'm fearful that they are not interchangeable based on the spool gasket. I hope we're wrong. View attachment 135020
To correct myself, the Lower passenger side VVT bolts to the oil pump. The oil pump between the 2 engines are the same part number. He may be ok switching the VVT solenoid and spool assembly.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Some things may be the same it's still a FWD motor the ECU is programmed different just for starters .. he would have to rip out everything that belonged the donated engine for it to work correctly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some things may be the same it's still a FWD motor the ECU is programmed different just for starters .. he would have to rip out everything that belonged the donated engine for it to work correctly.
Yes the oil pump housings are the same part number. I used the original VTEC housing as well as a used one that I picked up. I originally thought that the oil flow may have been different till I checked on the oil pump housing being the same. I don't see how the software programing could be affecting it unless there is an input that I am missing, I still have the original engine and don't see any sensors or switches that I missed. I was told that the 2wd would not work in a 4wd because of casting differences in the block that would not allow the transfer case to fit but apparently that was wrong because I had no interference issues.

I appreciate any input and will continue to try and figure this out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is my latest update. I discovered the head castings are different but can't find any information on them. Maybe someone here may know the difference. My original head had a casting number of RDJ 16. The head on the engine is a casting number of RGL1. Now all the valve train components from my original cylinder head fit on the replacement engine head. As I stated before the vehicle runs fine it is just that the annoying light won't go out. Is there anywhere to find info on the differences of the two heads?

Thanks again for any info.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,304 Posts
Just a thought, have you considered consulting the local Honda Service center? This may be as simple as resetting the computer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I spoke with a Honda tech and the answer I got is it won't work. When I asked why I was told it just won't work. They couldn't tell me why they said it just won't. After doing this for as many years as I have I have little faith in most (not all) dealer techs.

Sorry if I hurt any feelings I was just telling it how I was told.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,304 Posts
Nope no feeling hurt. You never know until you try.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I spoke with a Honda tech and the answer I got is it won't work. When I asked why I was told it just won't work. They couldn't tell me why they said it just won't. After doing this for as many years as I have I have little faith in most (not all) dealer techs.

Sorry if I hurt any feelings I was just telling it how I was told.
I would never sugest this.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
or take out the oil lamp bulb but if you have inspection from your location that may be an issue

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
"Back when I was a young mechanic," as Scotty Kilmer often says, it used to be much easier to swap engines. Nowadays, with modern cars, there's so much computer crap, never mind all the other stuff, that it's very difficult unless you have the exact same engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts