Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my SVCM this morning and as soon as I started my 2018, I had multiple lights(check engine, emissions problem, power steering, hill assist, trailer assist). So I unplugged it, hooked it back up without the SCVM, pulled the negative on the battery for 5 minutes, then started it up and everything was back to normal. Has anyone else had this happen?

Should I plug it back in with a cold engine? When I installed it the engine was not hot, but it was only off for 30 minutes or so. If I plug it back in do I drive it anyway if all the CEL's come on to see if they clear?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I installed my SVCM this morning and as soon as I started my 2018, I had multiple lights(check engine, emissions problem, power steering, hill assist, trailer assist). So I unplugged it, hooked it back up without the SCVM, pulled the negative on the battery for 5 minutes, then started it up and everything was back to normal. Has anyone else had this happen?

Should I plug it back in with a cold engine? When I installed it the engine was not hot, but it was only off for 30 minutes or so. If I plug it back in do I drive it anyway if all the CEL's come on to see if they clear?

Thanks.
I would. Either that or drive it around for a while as the lights may go out on their own. In case you missed it in the user guide ......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would. Either that or drive it around for a while as the lights may go out on their own. In case you missed it in the user guide ......
View attachment 145250
Yeah I saw that at the bottom, but I freaked out a little lol. I picked the car up Saturday and didn't want to kill it already. I am going to plug it back in when it's cold, if the warnings all go off I'll see if they go out on their own.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Yeah I saw that at the bottom, but I freaked out a little lol. I picked the car up Saturday and didn't want to kill it already. I am going to plug it back in when it's cold, if the warnings all go off I'll see if they go out on their own.
Good luck, I'm sure it's fine. No freaking out. That's why I'm not a fan of putting switches or using switched power on these devices.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
You should install it on a completely cold engine to avoid setting off the CEL. I would try it again after the car has sat overnight. If you continue to have this issue, it is possible that the SVCM module is defective and they will replace it if that is the case.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Agree with those above.
I didn't have any problems on an 08, and a 15 Pilot.

I hope it resolves

Reactions: ChrisA70

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Must be cold to install.
If it is ever disconnected hot and reconnected, it will set a code then too.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,402 Posts
If it’s P0128 (I think) it’s no problem. Just disconnect your battery and the code will clear. I get that code occasionally if it’s super moist or if the car sat for a while.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Just a FYI to anyone reading this that's worried. It's not the end of the world if the light comes on after the install. If it happens, no panicking, remain calm, disconnect the negative battery terminal, go inside, take a nap, wash dishes, do the laundry, etc etc... after the engine cools down, reconnect. Enjoy your V6 that's firing on all 6 100% of the time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it’s P0128 (I think) it’s no problem. Just disconnect your battery and the code will clear. I get that code occasionally if it’s super moist or if the car sat for a while.
It set off a bunch of everything off. I have it all set up, when it's cold I'm gonna plug it back in and try again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a FYI to anyone reading this that's worried. It's not the end of the world if the light comes on after the install. If it happens, no panicking, remain calm, disconnect the negative battery terminal, go inside, take a nap, wash dishes, do the laundry, etc etc... after the engine cools down, reconnect. Enjoy your V6 that's firing on all 6 100% of the time.
That's what I'm going to do. I'm going to let it sit overnight and reconnect it tomorrow. I didn't expect like 5 different screens to pop up lol.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Wash dishes? Do laundry? Are you kidding? There are a lot better things to do waiting for the engine to cool down. Oh, wait ... on second thought ... that wouldn't take long enough. Nevermind...

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Wash dishes? Do laundry? Are you kidding? There are a lot better things to do waiting for the engine to cool down. Oh, wait ... on second thought ... that wouldn't take long enough. Nevermind...
The Mrs helps me when I need someone pump the brakes. So.., doing the dishes or laundry proves the willingness to reciprocate. 😁

Reactions: The Todd and Steffo

·
Registered
26 Posts
I installed one on my 2020 EX-L with a cold engine and the key fob was in the house away from the car. Started up with no issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I want to learn about the different VCM products? Is there a reason why more Pilot owners are choosing SVCM over the other VCM products? I just bout a 2021 and plan I keeping this vehicle for a long time, so if I do this I want to do right the first time.:cool:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Don't know if this makes a difference or not, but I installed the VCM Tuner II and in addition to cold engine install it also says make sure the key fob is well away from the vehicle during the install. I had no codes/warnings/lights after start-up.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
I have installed, removed and reinstalled my S-VCM with the engine cold and keyfob sitting on the console and have had no issues.

·
Registered
583 Posts
It set off a bunch of everything off. I have it all set up, when it's cold I'm gonna plug it back in and try again.
Don't let the number of warnings fool you. These cars will throw a lot of warnings as one "error" can disable a lot of features / systems which is what you saw. Stability control, abs, check engine light, etc. All because of one "error" where a single temperature value "didn't make sense". The S-VCM unit is great and you're doing a good thing by installing it... not only good for your own sanity, but also good for your car.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
That's what I'm going to do. I'm going to let it sit overnight and reconnect it tomorrow. I didn't expect like 5 different screens to pop up lol.
So, did you 'get er done' yet?

Also, I disconnect the Negative terminal, put the key in and try and turn it on. You'll get nothing b/c the battery is disconnected. It clears capacitors, etc., Hook back up the Neg. and try it. Works for me every time to clear codes. Especially ones that go off b/c the ECU doesn't know what else to do with data it gets sometimes- do it gives you a check engine light.

Case in point, months ago on my 08 the Check engine light came on. It was running fine, no other lights.
Took it to Autozone- had the codes read.
* Misfire in every cylinder EXCEPT #2- every cylinder.! It ran fine.
Went home, took off neg. terminal, put key in and turned it to the on position. Took key out.
Hooked battery back up.
To this day- no more check engine light.
I did NOT throw money at it, change plugs, coils, etc.
I did nothing, no more light. I got lucky. I just get tickled when some people think these lights and codes are always real and a big problem. I read about people throwing $1000 or more at a light code, and still have it!
Rant over

1 - 20 of 25 Posts