Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
First gen Pilots are good cars, but they are not cheap to maintain beyond 100k.
While I agree that may be the case for the average joe for any older vehicle my TLC project has morphed into a fun spendy project that hopefully continues to be Honda reliable albeit more capable overlanding “truck”. I stopped counting the bucks spent thus far but it’s probably a bit above resale value due the overlanding upgrades (that’s my story to LOML) :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
* I only hope it IS actually the motor mount causing the chirp?
Me too. I'll let you know next week. :D

I've owned a few Toyota's previously. They have their own unique adv's and disadv's too. I've owned a few Honda's B4 the Pilot as well. I contemplated installing a VCM disabler, but in the end my growing concern about the trend I see with corporate Honda, and Honda engineering in general dis-waded me. I'm worried now, what's next? Still, I sympathize with those guys and gals. I worked 30 years in manufacturing before retiring and have seen first hand the angst rushed, or incomplete engineering can cause given all the pressures (CAFE, marketing, competitors, corporate priorities, etc. etc., ) they have to manage in addition to doing their basic engineering job well.

·
Registered
540 Posts
While I agree that may be the case for the average joe for any older vehicle my TLC project has morphed into a fun spendy project that hopefully continues to be Honda reliable albeit more capable overlanding “truck”. I stopped counting the bucks spent thus far but it’s probably a bit above resale value due the overlanding upgrades (that’s my story to LOML) :D
Absolutely. Driving old cars is a good hobby, and much cheaper than many other socially acceptable "vices". I'm not in the black financially after my new transmission, but I appreciate having a reliable, maintainable vehicle.

My point about cost of maintenance at 100k+ wasn't a complaint or a warning, but a suggestion that the failed front motor mount on an '06 might have died from natural causes vs. VCM, and that the cost of that repair was a natural outcome of owning an old car.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for all the replies, etc.

Day 2 w/ my newly installed SVCM on my 08 Pilot:
  • definitely was less engine braking when coasting
  • the brake booster seems to work slightly better as well- probably a vacuum thing
  • It was not rough before, no true shudder- But it's definitely smoother now.
  • seems a tad quieter now too.
I feel I am a highly qualified 'observer', and I am looking at this objectively.

this was a Win, win

I'm glad I also added the SVCM to our recently purchased Mint 2015 Pilot 4WD LX w/ only 65K miles also!- this will help avoid some problems it may cause.

It does exactly what it is designed and intended to do.

SVCM FTW!

·
Registered
180 Posts
No worries. No, I do not have a VCM disabling device installed. Until a week ago I didn't even know what VCM stood for.
I'm trying to figure out how you were a member on this forum since 2016 and didn't know what the VCM was until last week. That's like the #1 topic.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ok,

Merry Christmas, Hanukah, or whatever you celebrate

Todays drive in, O8 Pilot- FWD, NOW with SVCM

I really thought it was smooth before, Yeah/Naw- it's smoother now.

Getting off the Hwy at my exit near work, quantifying the brakes again. I think it must be a vacuum/booster thing- b/c the brake pedal is tighter on the first depression of it.
I thought I was going to have the bleed the rear brakes too recently (fronts were done weeks ago), but now?
Yeah/Naw- those brakes don't need bleeding after all.
I didn't expect this added benefit! Win Win!

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how you were a member on this forum since 2016 and didn't know what the VCM was until last week. That's like the #1 topic.
Yes, I must admit. Its true. Humble pie IS one of my favorite deserts after all. Or as my wife is fond of saying, "Sometimes I think you really were just born yesterday!" Speaking of the wife, our latest conversation about getting rid of HER Pilot didn't go all that well. As a result I now have fresh interest in this forum's #1 topic and must ask, are there any posts describing how the VSCM is installed? I did find a YouTube video where a guy put one in a '16 Pilot, but the only stuff I could find on this forum was from people describing how pleased they were with results after installation. If I get one of these I want to make sure I hook it up to the right wiring harness. Thanks

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Easy/Peasy

Only takes a wrench to connect the 12V wire to the battery terminal.

Only 1 plug to remove, and hook the SVCM inline there.

I think it's the ECT1 sensor plug.
This is it

It's located in this area, front left/driver(US) side.

Well worth it.

Like I said/stated, my ONLY regret, was NOT doing this sooner that this on our 08 - bought new Pilot.

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,767 Posts
As a result I now have fresh interest in this forum's #1 topic and must ask, are there any posts describing how the VSCM is installed?
Yes (besides the great pics above), follow the steps in the correct order :) to install you S-VCM as soon as you can. :)

·
Registered
9,767 Posts
Only takes a wrench to connect the 12V wire to the battery terminal.
To avoid a disappointing outcome, connect to the positive (red) battery post.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well ... I have to admit, since installing the S-VCM, not only does the car ride better now, but even my reflection in the rear view mirror is better looking.
Really? Are you single? Dating?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
My wife isn't all that mechanically inclined but she noticed a difference on our '15. It was a vibration at throttle tip in and while running in traffic VCM would activate and deactivate constantly. Now it's just "normal". Our mileage dropped maybe 1MPG on the highway but around town it's the same.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm not one that likes to use gadgets, snake oils, etc.

This product works, and works well.

Objectively speaking and Subjectively too, It works.

If you are not using one, I recommend you try it, you won't be fooled, or disappointed.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
9,767 Posts
Great, we're softening you up to try AT-205 one day. :)

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Someone had posted on one of the other VCM threads (Hondaman?), that they also saw a difference in the engine braking also. I had commented that I had doubted that- HAD, not anymore.
I too had doubted that. HAD as well. It's Awesome with this VCM disabled. Who woulda knew?

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm not finding this to be so Easy/Peasy. How on earth do you pull off the factory ECT1 sensor plug ? Before ordering a VCM disabler, I decided to try and remove the sensor plug on my 2016 Pilot to see how it went. After 20 minutes I quit. Thing won't budge and I got afraid of breaking something I tried so hard. The pic shows where it is on my engine and IT IS a tight fit to say the least. I tried one hand, two hands, a screwdriver against the tab, pliers, and a trim removal tool underneath the harness. I squeezed the tab in against the harness, right? Even removed the air filter housing to gain better access. About the only thing I didn't try was to remove the battery and see if that gives my arms and hands better leverage. I'm stumped. :confused:

Glad I tried before forking over a $100 for something it appears I'm unable to install.

IMG_2195.JPG

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
The clip may be hung under the hook. Simply push in, squeeze clip and pull.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts