Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was skeptical- but stayed open minded about the VCM disablers. After all, I now have 187K miles on this 08- VCM always worked, up until now! After research and reviews, I opted for the SVCM.

Install on the 08 took minutes- a few days ago I had put one on my 15 LX 4WD at 65K miles.

I never had any Problems though, no shudders, no engine breakdowns, etc.

While the VCM/ECO engagement on this vehicle (the 08 FWD) has been relatively seamless, I can feel the difference now with the SVCM keeping it form engaging. In a Positive way.

Someone had posted on one of the other VCM threads (Hondaman?), that they also saw a difference in the engine braking also. I had commented that I had doubted that- HAD, not anymore.
It is smoother when coasting to a stop, or just coasting.
BION, the brakes seem better too- might have to do with a slight difference in engine vacuum while coasting off the throttle- changing the vacuum to the brake booster? It's there- I felt it. It's slight.

Is was a smooth riding SUV- w/ the VCM working.
After the first 50 miles, hwy and city- WOW, what a difference!
I am very engine mechanically inclined, and feel I can tell the subtle differences while driving the SUV.

Smoother, Quieter?, and the tach seems to be a few hundred rpm's lower now at 65 or 70 mph.

Others talked about the torque converter slipping slightly via ECU when running on VCM- I definitely see the slight drop rpm when cruising steady state at a given speed.

My only regret? - That I didn't do this when the products first came out! That's it!

I'm now fully on the VCM disabler bandwagon- I'll play drums.

I'll get the mpg on a tank for my average driving and update if I see any differences.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
43 views in 2 hrs.
No one has any comments? I guess it's kinda 'old school' now LOL

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
43 views in 2 hrs.
No one has any comments? I guess it's kinda 'old school' now LOL
Heck mine doesn't have TPMS....But subscribed in case I ever decide to move up to a "newer" Pilot and want to negate this innovative green energy tech.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SVCM on 4WD?
Well, no, the FWD stands for 'front wheel drive'. The 4WD's in 08 didn't come with it,but you knew that.

My 15 4WD has it though. The VCM and now the SVCM- to disable it

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I was skeptical- but stayed open minded about the VCM disablers. After all, I now have 187K miles on this 08- VCM always worked, up until now! After research and reviews, I opted for the SVCM.

Install on the 08 took minutes- a few days ago I had put one on my 15 LX 4WD at 65K miles.

I never had any Problems though, no shudders, no engine breakdowns, etc.

While the VCM/ECO engagement on this vehicle (the 08 FWD) has been relatively seamless, I can feel the difference now with the SVCM keeping it form engaging. In a Positive way.

Someone had posted on one of the other VCM threads (Hondaman?), that they also saw a difference in the engine braking also. I had commented that I had doubted that- HAD, not anymore.
It is smoother when coasting to a stop, or just coasting.
BION, the brakes seem better too- might have to do with a slight difference in engine vacuum while coasting off the throttle- changing the vacuum to the brake booster? It's there- I felt it. It's slight.

Is was a smooth riding SUV- w/ the VCM working.
After the first 50 miles, hwy and city- WOW, what a difference!
I am very engine mechanically inclined, and feel I can tell the subtle differences while driving the SUV.

Smoother, Quieter?, and the tach seems to be a few hundred rpm's lower now at 65 or 70 mph.

Others talked about the torque converter slipping slightly via ECU when running on VCM- I definitely see the slight drop rpm when cruising steady state at a given speed.

My only regret? - That I didn't do this when the products first came out! That's it!

I'm now fully on the VCM disabler bandwagon- I'll play drums.

I'll get the mpg on a tank for my average driving and update if I see any differences.
As we curse out the Honda engineers for the problems VCM causes, I think we have to simultaneously give them some credit for coming up with mitigation devices like active motor mounts that for many people with mild issues, mask out enough of the boogey woogie to give them the impression that all is well. UNTIL they see what life is like without the dreaded muffled mojo. I just switched my VCMuzzler II out for a S-VCM. So far no diff, but then, I haven't had any cooling system problems... yet.

Gen 2 4WD. I didn't feel anything from the VCM before putting on the VCMuzzler II, but now I feel it less. If you're wondering why I put it on in the first place, I had a TC shudder after making right turns that I now don't think had anything directly to do with VCM other than maybe mushy mounts from prior VCM abuse before I owned it.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As we curse out the Honda engineers for the problems VCM causes, I think we have to simultaneously give them some credit for coming up with mitigation devices like active motor mounts that for many people with mild issues, mask out enough of the boogey woogie to give them the impression that all is well. UNTIL they see what life is like without the dreaded muffled mojo. I just switched my VCMuzzler II out for a S-VCM. So far no diff, but then, I haven't had any cooling system problems... yet.
Right, as you know, both of those products achieve the same goal. Not ever changing a resistor if needed to operate properly is a + of the SVCM though.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Right, as you know, both of those products achieve the same goal. Not ever changing a resistor if needed to operate properly is a + of the SVCM though.
Yep, and another plus is if you aren't lazy like me and do change out the resistor to a higher value, you can reach a point where the ECU will never see an overheat condition no matter how high the coolant temperature goes. So the smart bypass at 230F on the S-VCM and the other microchipped one is golden.

·
Registered
258 Posts
As we curse out the Honda engineers for the problems VCM causes, I think we have to simultaneously give them some credit for coming up with mitigation devices like active motor mounts that for many people with mild issues, mask out enough of the boogey woogie to give them the impression that all is well.
One has a little different perspective when the "mitigation device" also fails. :mad:

In 5 days (Tuesday the 29th to be precise) I am have that $800 repair job done to my '16 Pilot with just 64K miles on it ... you know, replacing the front active motor mount by the radiator. While I'm waiting for the repair job to be done, I plan on walking next door to the Toyota dealer and check out new Highlanders again ... hopefully before the rear am motor mount gives out too.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One has a little different perspective when the "mitigation device" also fails. :mad:

In 5 days (Tuesday the 29th to be precise) I am have that $800 repair job done to my '16 Pilot with just 64K miles on it ... you know, replacing the front active motor mount by the radiator. While I'm waiting for the repair job to be done, I plan on walking next door to the Toyota dealer and check out new Highlanders again ... hopefully before the rear am motor mount gives out too.
Did you add a VCM disabling device? If so, how long ago?

What are the symptoms that are so bad this mount needs replacing @ 64K miles? Not to argue, just to ask and learn.

·
Registered
39 Posts

I am doing the same repair on my 06 Pilot. Front active motor mount failed. I added SVCM when I bought it 2 years ago but I guess the damage had been done.

·
Registered
258 Posts
No worries. No, I do not have a VCM disabling device installed. Until a week ago I didn't even know what VCM stood for. I took my Pilot in 3 times earlier this year complaining of a "chirping" sound during idle. My local dealer repeatedly said it was normal engine noise, so I took it to a different dealer who said I needed to have my fuel pump replaced (per TSB 16-013). That $1,200 bill was covered by the power train warranty. Only had 58K miles on the Pilot. I was a happy camper because when he finished that repair, the Pilot was as quiet as the day I bought it. Then last month that same irritating chirping sound came back. This time the dealer said the chirping sound was from the front active motor mount by the radiator which needed to be replaced. You could have blown me over with a feather when he said that. He has to order the part which is why the job is being done next week. It was then I began researching online what causes that sort of motor mount failure and learned about all the complaints over Honda's VCM. Because of this new repair (and a lot of other reasons I won't be-labor you all with) my wife and I have had some serious discussions about getting rid of our beloved Pilot. I'm not joking about looking at Toyotas now.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I am doing the same repair on my 06 Pilot. Front active motor mount failed. I added SVCM when I bought it 2 years ago but I guess the damage had been done.
VCM is one of my main reservations against recommending a used Pilot to non-Piloteers. Replacing motor mounts are okay but the reported negative internal effects would be hard to explain.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

64k miles is very early for that to happen. Given you're only 4k outside the powertrain warranty, I wonder if a good case couldn't be made to have it covered by Honda?

All cars these days have compromises that we end up paying for. I see the 2020 Highlander already has almost a 100 TSBs. I didn't read them, but that's a lot for a new model. 2020 Toyota Highlander TSBs | CarComplaints.com

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,692 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Nice report. First hand experience is always so much more helpful.

In all fairness, rather than blaming the engineers, I'd blame CAFE and bean counters first.
I think it's bigger that that. I think that Honda and most other carmakers that became great through better engineering have made a conscious decision to strategically adapt. Their new world requires delivering "cool stuff" that looks great in the showroom over core competence. There's lots of ways to improve fuel economy, but most are expensive and won't drive profits as much as better infotainment stuff. Unless it's something like a Chevy Bolt or a Tesla that costs way more to make than it sells for at introduction, what gets to market is the cheaper alternatives.

You might find different issues with a Toyota, but as jimmaki noted, they're pushed by the same market forces as everyone else.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Could be, but the non-active version on my '03 was completely dead a year ago. I would bet that age is a more likely contributor to your failure than VCM, but that's just a guess.

First gen Pilots are good cars, but they are not cheap to maintain beyond 100k.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

In all fairness, rather than blaming the engineers, I'd blame CAFE and bean counters first.
As I've said elsewhere here, engineers in a corporate environment really don't have much to say about anything except working out the nitty gritty mechanical details to get to manufacturing the fastest and cheapest design of what marketing thinks will sell the best. They don't make those kinds of decisions.

The J35 should have been redesigned to meet CAFE requirements because it wasn't a surprise, but I'm sure engineering was told that just wasn't a schedule or budget possibility when some software, a valve and some extra cam lobes would get the job done. Keep the collateral damage down with expensive active mounts that can hopefully take the beating long enough to make it past warranty and move on creating more blingy sales candy.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No worries. No, I do not have a VCM disabling device installed. Until a week ago I didn't even know what VCM stood for. I took my Pilot in 3 times earlier this year complaining of a "chirping" sound during idle. My local dealer repeatedly said it was normal engine noise, so I took it to a different dealer who said I needed to have my fuel pump replaced (per TSB 16-013). That $1,200 bill was covered by the power train warranty. Only had 58K miles on the Pilot. I was a happy camper because when he finished that repair, the Pilot was as quiet as the day I bought it. Then last month that same irritating chirping sound came back. This time the dealer said the chirping sound was from the front active motor mount by the radiator which needed to be replaced. You could have blown me over with a feather when he said that. He has to order the part which is why the job is being done next week. It was then I began researching online what causes that sort of motor mount failure and learned about all the complaints over Honda's VCM. Because of this new repair (and a lot of other reasons I won't be-labor you all with) my wife and I have had some serious discussions about getting rid of our beloved Pilot. I'm not joking about looking at Toyotas now.
Oh, I understand. I've known about the VCM for years. I've only about the disablers and why for the last few months I've joined this forum.
Toyotas have a great rep.

* I only hope it IS actually the motor mount causing the chirp?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My old Ford and Chevy beaters back in the day,
Also had motor mounts go bad.
They also only had 2 valves/cylinder and carburetors too!

1 - 20 of 96 Posts