Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
I thought fuel parameters were controlled by the O2 sensors, no? My OBD-2 reader shows the system goes from “open loop” to “closed loop” within seconds after a cold start......because modern heated O2s “light off” within seconds of receiving current. Running lean/clean in seconds is much better than running rich/dirty for however long it takes for engine coolant to reach whatever temp.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
That's good stuff. Also, no sign of the piston rings issue from the VCM 2-style engines. Plenty of them showing up now on post-class action Odysseys (2014-2017). Hoping the VCM 3 direct inject engine has solved most of the old problems. Just motor mounts to worry about (for now)!
Nothing can possibly be done to prevent any damage done by an active VCM. In a lot of ways, 3rd Gen technology is worse. It will eventually turn a perfectly good v6 engine into scrap metal.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Nothing can possibly be done to prevent any damage done by an active VCM. In a lot of ways, 3rd Gen technology is worse. It will eventually turn a perfectly good v6 engine into scrap metal.
We got a great check list to help pick out a good used first gen Pilot but i'm not too confident a check list would help pick out a good used 2nd/3rd gen as some of the internal motor/trans issues noted on many threads here linking VCM might not be evident without more in depth procedures.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
We got a great check list to help pick out a good used first gen Pilot but i'm not too confident a check list would help pick out a good used 2nd/3rd gen as some of the internal motor/trans issues noted on many threads here linking VCM might not be evident without more in depth procedures.
Thumbs up this like 10 times. Low mileage really matters.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
93 Posts
S-VCM tells the comp your temp is 165.2°F instantly. I don't know of any ill effects of this.
Grease,that’s not true. The SVCM can only prevent reporting ECT higher than 165.2 F . Please see my ECT 1 . Lower temp can still be reported as normal.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Grease,that’s not true. The SVCM can only prevent reporting ECT higher than 165.2 F . Please see my ECT 1 . Lower temp can still be reported as normal.
Thanks for correcting me. 👍

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
It amuses me that we spend so much time discussing these items, when is the last time you have actually seen a gauge show you anything other than normal? We had a '98 Dakota that had a sticky thermostat so the temp would go up and my '61 Impala shows me low oil pressure when the 283 has burned enough oil that I need to top it off. That's it in my 16 years of driving.

I'm conflicted, I advocate for cars providing gauges for EVERYTHING but modern vehicles so rarely have anything wrong I guess a dummy light is all that is needed.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
It amuses me that we spend so much time discussing these items, when is the last time you have actually seen a gauge show you anything other than normal? We had a '98 Dakota that had a sticky thermostat so the temp would go up and my '61 Impala shows me low oil pressure when the 283 has burned enough oil that I need to top it off. That's it in my 16 years of driving.

I'm conflicted, I advocate for cars providing gauges for EVERYTHING but modern vehicles so rarely have anything wrong I guess a dummy light is all that is needed.
Though rare, when the dummy light comes on, it's keep driving dummy. "I'm only 5 minutes from the house. I can make it!"

Reactions: PLT383 and aggrex

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
339 Posts
Instead of focusing on all this high techy stuff, car makers should be focusing on the basics and give us some decent instruments that displays coolant temp, transmission temp and charging voltage. Idiot lights that come on too late when you have a problem are totally useless.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Though rare, when the dummy light comes on, it's keep driving dummy. "I'm only 5 minutes from the house. I can make it!"
View attachment 141043
Instead of focusing on all this high techy stuff, car makers should be focusing on the basics and give us some decent instruments that displays coolant temp, transmission temp and charging voltage. Idiot lights that come on too late when you have a problem are totally useless.
You two are both thinking like enthusiasts... most people don't care and a light coming on vs. a gauge reading outside of normal won't make a difference to them. Maybe I'm just in a weird mood today but I am thinking about all the years I've spent on forums and driving various cars and feel like I almost never hear about gauges reading anything abnormal but everyone is up in arms that they don't have enough gauges. By far the most common one is the thermostat, which even in modern vehicles has such a low failure rate.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
You two are both thinking like enthusiasts... most people don't care and a light coming on vs. a gauge reading outside of normal won't make a difference to them
Think I got my daughter to be more aware of how her ‘97 Avalon is running. She is keeping an eye on the temp gauge as well as the plug in digital voltmeter that charges her iPhone. Agreed most drivers don’t panic until it’s too late 😆

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Think I got my daughter to be more aware of how her ‘97 Avalon is running. She is keeping an eye on the temp gauge as well as the plug in digital voltmeter that charges her iPhone. Agreed most drivers don’t panic until it’s too late 😆
Honestly I think most don't even notice. They don't look at anything but their speedometer, their infotainment screen and their phone.

Reactions: PLT383 and aggrex

·
Registered
312 Posts
For those that are really serious/paranoid (like me) about knowing actual ECT and also using a VCM killer (I'm not), one of these, in the top rad hose, would make the installation of an electrical (digital or analog) ECT gauge/sending unit quite easy, I would think. Anybody know the MM of the rad hoses?

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EX FWD Silver
6 Posts
Before 3rd Gen. Pilots, VCM opens valves, stops fuel and spark.
I believe your info is for 3rd Gen. Older model v6 valves open.
I'm not sure where you're getting this information. From the 06-08 service manual:

The cylinder pause VTEC system pauses the intake and exhaust valves on the rear bank under certain conditions such as cruise and fuel cut (see illustration). Since the valves on the rear bank are closed, the frictional losses from valve spring compression and pumping are reduced because no air is compressed in the rear bank.
This is further reinforced by the subsequent diagrams and explanations detailing the operation of the VCM system.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks. Is it any way to monitor coolant temp in case of overheating?
If you are worried about a bypass failure, you could also monitor ECT2 (from bottom of radiator) and if that ever exceeded the normal temp seen on ECT1 (185 w/o muzzler), you could assume a cooling problem.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You could watch ECT2, I do, but ECT2 temps are some really extreme/wide range/up/down fluctuations/changes, depending on driving conditions. and could easily be fooled that a overheat was about to happen.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
339 Posts
You could watch ECT2, I do, but ECT2 temps are some really extreme/wide range/up/down fluctuations/changes, depending on driving conditions. and could easily be fooled that a overheat was about to happen.
ECT2 is the lower rad tank temp and is not a true indicator of engine temp. It will give you an indication of cooling fan failure though which is probably the most likely cause of overheating these days. Thermostats are fairly reliable and usually only fail in the open position not allowing the engine to warm up.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts