Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installation of Canadian SVCM on my 2019 Pilot Elite (7000 Miles), the temp on my OBDLink App paired with OBDLink LX Bluetooth on Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra stay on max engine warmup at 165.2 F. Temp never pass this reading. Is this normal?

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
344 Posts
If actual coolant temp reaches 205F the SVCM will automatically bypass and the actual temp signal will go to the PCM and everything is restored so that all high temp warnings will function normally. Everything will reset again when the car is shut off and cools back down.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If actual coolant temp reaches 205F the SVCM will automatically bypass and the actual temp signal will go to the PCM and everything is restored so that all high temp warnings will function normally. Everything will reset again when the car is shut off and cools back down.
Thank you, you got me not worry!!! Good lesson on SVCM function!

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
344 Posts
Wonder if that “automatically bypass” feature is 100% foolproof?
The systems on the Pilot are definately not 100% foolproof or we would have nothing to talk about on this forum but if you are really concerned about engine overheating, you could install an independent temp gauge with it's own sensor. Even the accuracy of the factory gauge has been questioned by several folks here. I haven't looked into it but I am sure that you can even get a wireless temp sensor to pair up to a phone which would make it easy to install.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Thanks. Is it any way to monitor coolant temp in case of overheating?
I'd never want anyone to feel overconfident in Honda's cooling systems. They are quite good. The most common problem (not that it happens a lot) is a cooling fan can fail. Either a relay or the fan itself. So long as you refresh your coolant every 100k miles or no more than 5 years, you rarely will have a problem. The worst mistake that could ever be done is to use tap water. If your system has ever had tap water introduced, I'd be very concerned about having an accurate temp reading, for fear that my thermostat may one day fail. I've never had a thermostat fail using coolant and distilled water.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where would you connect this independent sensor? So reading temp thru OBD is not accurate?

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Where would you connect this independent sensor? So reading temp thru OBD is not accurate?
There is a port on the right side of the front catalytic converter that is designed for an engine block heater. That may can be used, Possibly.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The systems on the Pilot are definately not 100% foolproof or we would have nothing to talk about on this forum but if you are really concerned about engine overheating, you could install an independent temp gauge with it's own sensor. Even the accuracy of the factory gauge has been questioned by several folks here. I haven't looked into it but I am sure that you can even get a wireless temp sensor to pair up to a phone which would make it easy to install.
My concern would be the possibility of the SVCM malfunctioning and not letting the vehicle do its thing as designed regarding ECT.......if that's even possible.🤷‍♂️ Sounds like there are some issues have been caused by/related to a VCM killer.

·
Registered
318 Posts
For an accurate ECT reading, the sensor needs to be located either in a cylinder head or where coolant exits the head(s). I'm presuming the Honda 3.5L coolant flow direction is the traditional block to head, and not reverse flow.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE; 2015 Pilot LX
224 Posts
Had to chime in again on this VCM deleter thing. I drove out 08 Pilot the 29 miles to work this morning. It's currently @ 185K miles. I really paid attention to the ECO light, the tach, and the 'feel' I was getting. I'm pretty sensitive and observant. I couldn't even see any tach bounces, of any real 'feel' of difference when the ECO light would go on and off, etc. LIke on a highway at 70, go up a light grade- ECO light goes off- level out again- comes back on. SEAMLESSLY!
I believe in forums (use many of them for many things, like my GSX-R1000 motorcycle, etc.), but for me, right now, I'm not on board with the general consensus about bypassing this system.
And yes, I do realize that just because I have yet to see a problem with it on out 08, and now out '15 Pilots, that a problem and condition does not exist.
I'll be watching for any ill effects of leaving the VCM enabled for now.

·
Registered
587 Posts
So does SVCM tell the temperature of the car when it's cold? I wouldn't want it to think it's already at operating temp (or just below it with SVCM), when I just turn the car on. Can anyone verify if the car tells you when the temperature is below 165.2 degrees?

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
So does SVCM tell the temperature of the car when it's cold? I wouldn't want it to think it's already at operating temp (or just below it with SVCM), when I just turn the car on. Can anyone verify if the car tells you when the temperature is below 165.2 degrees?
S-VCM tells the comp your temp is 165.2°F instantly. I don't know of any ill effects of this.

·
Registered
164 Posts
S-VCM tells the comp your temp is 165.2°F instantly. I don't know of any ill effects of this.
Even at a cold start on a 20F morning? Are you sure? I would think that would cause serious driveability issues and maybe a DTC when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Had to chime in again on this VCM deleter thing. I drove out 08 Pilot the 29 miles to work this morning. It's currently @ 185K miles. I really paid attention to the ECO light, the tach, and the 'feel' I was getting. I'm pretty sensitive and observant. I couldn't even see any tach bounces, of any real 'feel' of difference when the ECO light would go on and off, etc. LIke on a highway at 70, go up a light grade- ECO light goes off- level out again- comes back on. SEAMLESSLY!
I believe in forums (use many of them for many things, like my GSX-R1000 motorcycle, etc.), but for me, right now, I'm not on board with the general consensus about bypassing this system.
And yes, I do realize that just because I have yet to see a problem with it on out 08, and now out '15 Pilots, that a problem and condition does not exist.
I'll be watching for any ill effects of leaving the VCM enabled for now.
If you remove your valve cover on your 08, I assure you that you will see the negative effects of VCM on your engine.
The 1st cylinder is #4 which shuts down when VCM activates and eco light comes on. The extra dark oil deposits on the outside pictured here. I'm sure the combustion chamber was double worse.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Even at a cold start on a 20F morning? Are you sure? I would think that would cause serious driveability issues and maybe a DTC when the engine is cold.
I'm sure a Piloteer in Canada can more suredly answer your question. I don't believe that it knows any other temp other than 165.2°F. This temp is still considered below normal engine operating temp. That's why the VCM will not activate.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE; 2015 Pilot LX
224 Posts
If you remove your valve cover on your 08, I assure you that you will see the negative effects of VCM on your engine.
The 1st cylinder is #4 which shuts down when VCM activates and eco light comes on. The extra dark oil deposits on the outside pictured here. I'm sure the combustion chamber was double worse.
View attachment 140966
Thanks,
Oh, I've read and seen all sorts of pictures about it, etc. I agree that the explanations about what it can and does do to an engine are plausable and factual. Why would the oil be extra dark on the cylinders that shut down.
Does the VCM system shut down the spark, and injector at the same time? If it's shut down, why would it 'cook' the oil near it?
Call me lucky, but a few years ago an honest shop was replacing out selenoid thingy and pump for it. They took out the plugs, they all looked so good- they used them again! This was with over 100K on the plugs.

I know the problem exists- just hasn't been a problem for me - yet. I don't think I do/drive any differently than anyone else either. Like many, I do all my own oil changes, and have since it was new. I wouldn't think that would be a factor either.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts