Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re-scanned SUV Comparison chart from Consumer Reports

I hope this is small enough to fit, but large enough to read!

This is from the annual buying guide issue for 2002

We did very well, but we knew we would
:D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: Oh that's lovely

74PILOTMOM said:
I'm sorry that was so blurry...I'm no computer nerd unfortunately, or I'd know how to send a clear chart! I tried, but it was too large. I can send a larger file to your email if anyone is interested.
By the way...top to bottom is best to worst overall.
PilotMom, all I did was just open the file up in a picture viewer and enlarged it. So, it's all good.

I didn't know Audi Allroad was considered to be an SUV. It sure has taken a liberal term these days. And I can't believe that BMW's X5 came out ahead of the Pilot. They listed the 4.4L V8 model in the chart, but still. That car costs so much more than our Pilot! Do they honestly think that the X5 4.4L V8 is worth that much more than the Pilot? With the money to buy an X5 4.4L V8, I'd rather get a Pilot or the MDX loaded to the rim and take the rest of the money and put it towards my children's education fund or pay down the mortgage.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I KNOW!
But to their saving grace...the check marks are only for the ones that they actually recommend. I'd never buy those 2 unreliable German things. So that puts US on top of the recommended pile :) I'd also have gone for an MDX (it's gorgeous!) if they were in my price range. I believe that's the only reason the Pilot sits above the MDX in the chart. I love my Pilot for being all that it is, and actually affordable for young families like mine.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:
I KNOW!
But to their saving grace...the check marks are only for the ones that they actually recommend.
Ahhh, I see. That's how it works.

I'd never buy those 2 unreliable German things. So that puts US on top of the recommended pile :) I'd also have gone for an MDX (it's gorgeous!) if they were in my price range. I believe that's the only reason the Pilot sits above the MDX in the chart. I love my Pilot for being all that it is, and actually affordable for young families like mine.
Hear, hear! We're in pretty much the same situation.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RE SCANNED SUV comparison chart

AHHH...much better. A RE-SCANNED comparison chart. I re-scanned this in email format so it's small enough to fit, but large enough to read. Quality suffered a little, but at least we can read it now. Taking out the wagons that think they're SUV's and the one's without check marks, we are left with the recommended SUV's. Look where WE landed! Right on top- We're the best, but we knew that already.
This is from consumer reports annual buying guide, completely unbiased findings.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As a former X5 owner, the X5 deserves the ranking.

Yes, the X5 has some issues, but I didn't notice anything as bad as the Pilot delayed starting "feature". The X5 will run circles around nearly any SUV out there.

What's wrong with it? Very expensive, small, very expensive (get my drift!)

The X5 is not designed for hauling stuff like the Pilot. The Pilot is a great people and stuff mover. The Pilot is also cheaper to operate, but lacks many of the X5 cool stuff (sunroof, heated seats, headlight washers, alarm system, cool interior lighting, steptronic transmission, decent stereo, automatic wipers, etc).

At 16K under a decently equiped X5, the Pilot is a bargain.

BUT - the jury is out on reliability. My Pilot has had two problems in the first month. My X5 had zero in six months. (Then again, that damn X5 was expensive!)

Dave

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It will be iteresting to see where the pilot lands in these ranks after all the issues have been reported. Sure it's a first model year, but the starting issues have most of us very upset. We trusted Honda. So far, mine has always started but it's constantly on my mind...(and i only have 750mi. on it) is this the day?...How is my dealer going to act when I report it?...I'm taking my Pilot in for Quality control issues at 9 this morning for: broken rear vents, int.light lense not cancelling with 2nd push, poor fit&finish on scuff plate, and found WATER inside on the carpet one morning after parking on a hill on a rainy night) Did I buy a Chevy or what? eek!
***Really I love this vehicle***but don't think these things are acceptable for 30K, good deal or not. I wish I could have waited for the 2004's (3rd baby forced purchase) I encourage prospective buyers to wait, having heard all these issues at the ORG. Of course that's my opinion...you may be very lucky. Later production has to be better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts