Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else encountered a noticeable vibration that starts when you reach 70mph on the freeway in your Pilot? The automobile is smooth up until that magical point, then emits a steady and palpable vibration that emanates from the steering wheel. I took the car to the dealer, where they balanced the tires, however, this didn't correct the problem. I then drove another brand-new Pilot the dealer had on the lot, and lo and behold, it did the same exact thing. I noticed that both vehicles had the same set of "Goodyear Integrity" 16" tires. The mechanic who balanced the tires also confirmed that he felt the same vibration at the same speed, in both vehicles, but that he couldn't recommend or theorize on how to correct the problem. I have a phone call into Honda, and they're deliberating on a fix. Any others who are experiencing the same thing, please post, and if you've been able to fix it by putting on a new set of tires, or any other solution, please let me know. Thank you all.

·
Registered
173 Posts
No Problem Here...

I just returned from a short road trip and everything was smooth up to 80+ with standard tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Chief. It's the darndest thing. I just wish I could find someone else who is experiencing the same thing, because I love the vehicle, except for this nagging annoyance. I hope there's a fix.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I noticed a similar vibration at about the same speed. At first I thought I'd thrown the tires out of balance by the installation of the Honda OEM locking lug nuts (1 on each wheel). However the vibration remained after removing the locking lug nuts and replacing the original ones. The vibration is hardly noticeable and can only be detected on very smooth roads at about 70 mph. I hardly notice the vibration anymore, but it is there. My wife who usually drives the PILOT hasn't mentioned it and she's usually pretty picky about such things, and I can assure you she's had the PILOT up to 70 mph +. Seems to me the vibration is too high of a frequency to be wheel related. Maybe an out of balance component somewhere else in the drive train. Hope someone with a lot more knowledge about such things weighs in on the subject. I'd like to find the source before I set out on a long road trip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, VTM. I'm starting to fear that it's a drive train component of some sort. Honda is deliberating a fix right now, and they're supposed to be in touch with me today. I'll post their response as soon as I receive it. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only Pilot owner/driver experiencing the same anomaly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vibration at 70mph

The reply from Honda is one of mystification and surprise. No other complaints have been registered in their customer service data-base about the vibration that occurs at 70mph. They have advised me that a "case-worker" will contact me within the next 3 to 5 "business days" to consult me on the malady, and we'll go from there. I'll report more as it happens, folks.

·
Registered
664 Posts
dzzpsp
You are in for a great time. If you get Princess it will be a real treat! Just keep on top of it and don't let it drop. If there is an issue it should be resolved.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I've noticed the same vibration at about 70 mph, which disappears at 80, but it's not consistent. First noticed it almost immediately after delivery (June 4, 2002) and 4000 miles later it's still occasionally felt.

I was thinking it was the right front wheel about .25 ounces out of balance, and was waiting to see if the vibration moved with a tire rotation. Having driven so many miles commuting for so many years, I can usually narrow a vibration down to a particular tire and it's usually a quarter ounce out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The vibration at 70mph

Thanks to all of you who have responded with the same concerns and perceptions. I would ask all of you who own a Pilot to drive on your nearest freeway, and see if you feel the same sustained vibration at 70mph, that gradually dissipates at about 76 to 80mph. Remember, the vibration is not teeth chattering in nature, but a perceptible instability that can be felt in the steering wheel. Always obey local speed laws, of course. I believe if we owners can verify that the problem is inherent to the vehicle, Honda engineers can isolate and come up with a fix. The imperative is to of course, find enough owners who can duplicate the abnormality with their vehicles. It could be said that the vibration is "minor", and that having an SUV necessitates an acclimation to a "rougher ride" than say...a "family sedan", however, this difficulty is most likely not an easily addressed tire balance issue, but something more detailed and complex, that will need thorough and exhaustive examination. And, for the price we all paid for this vehicle, I believe we're entitled to Honda's unrelenting attention and commitment to correct this mystery.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My tire pressure was set by the dealer at 35 PSI. I will try Honda's recommendation at 32 PSI and see if it makes a difference at 70 MPH.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Based on the MDX threads that were similar, I'd suggest:

- Checking tire pressure

- Balancing. Have the dealer use the dynamic HUNTER machine if a "regular" balance doesn't work.

- Could be a VTM4/rear diff issue or even the driveshaft.

Those seemed to be the culprits on X's. There are more of you w/this problem than X owners in the past 2 years, I think.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tire Vibration

I have the same vibration on my Silver EX. The dealer tried balancing the tires the first day I bought it. The vibration was between 50 to 60 mph. Brought it back the following Monday for four new tires installed by the dealer. Now the vibration is between 70 and 80 mph. After investigating further the dealer has told me that they have had several other owners in with the same problem. The dealer told me to contact Honda Client Relations at 800-999-1009. I knew I wasn't the first person calling with this problem because the CSR asked several questions only an informed CSR would ask because of previous calls. Other than that Honda will get back to me in 3 to 5 business days.

Whatever you do, don't let up until the problem is fixed!!!

FYI - I had the same problem with a Toyota. Top of the line Goodyear’s would vibrate at all speeds. Found out later that the tire dealer should have never installed the Goodyear’s because they are not made for that particular car.

I suspect the same problem with the Pilot... I see Michelin Cross Terrains in my near future!!!

Dwayne

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please read the post in this forum called "The Pilot is Dead Part 1" and Part 2...he had the same vibration issue...and then something
worse!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Dwayne,

If you continue to have vibration problem, I probably wouldn't swap the tires out just yet. If you do, you may find it more difficult to get Honda to address your situation. You'll be giving them someone else to blame and it will just complicate matters. Make them fix it while it's all OEM equipment. Just my .02

Chris

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey guys,

Here's a guy that posted the vibration @ 70mph which eventually resulted in a broken timing belt possibly related to the waterpump recall. What's the number of your Pilots. Looks like 13603 thru 17522 are affected. Check out this story and get your Pilots checked if you are in this number range.

http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=964

·
Registered
99 Posts
Has anyone heard of a solution to the vibrating tire syndrome?

I received a call from Honda Customer Service yesterday to see if the dealer fixed my problem…. I explained to the rep that they had not and wanted new tires from American Honda. I heard nothing… silence…. Then the rep said she would get back to me next week once she relays my message to her supervisor. I expect Honda will send me to Goodyear to file it under their warranty “Highway Auto & Truck Tire Adjustment Policy”.

I also added that I have not received my notice for the water pump recall and wanted to know if she knew when Honda was going to mail them out. She said she didn’t know… so I told her to put in her notes not to mail me one since I already took care of the recall per the "informative, helpful, educational" hond-pilot.org website. It’s amazing how fast Pilot owners know more about the Honda Pilot than the manufacturer!! I proceed to “plug” the website address so maybe, American Honda would get a “clue”!!. Thank God for the website!!!

I still look for a solution to the tire vibration problem.

·
Registered
290 Posts
>5000 miles and have not noticed this yet. I drive between 70 and 80 everyday on my commute to and from work. I am very sensitive to things like this. Just guess I'm lucky. Still have the Goodyear Integrities on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I drove with my family from Boston to New York City over the Labor Day weekend. On the way down I hit speeds of up to 85 MPH - most of the time in the 65-75 MPH range with NO vibration.
On the way back, in 4 hours of driving in pouring rain at slower speeds, still, no vibrations and no leaks :D. My Pilot held the road admirably.

And for the record, other than one other Pilot owner in my hometown, I HAVE YET TO SEE A PILOT ON THE ROAD!!! I work in a big city (Boston), traveled to a big city (NYC) and yet, no other Pilots!!!

P.S. Does driving on the Cross Bronx Expressway qualify as Off Road Driving?:12: Seems like the last time they did road work on it was before the Depression!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Harder to see Pilots...

in a big metro area? I live in a small metro area ~250,000 and I have seen 4 Pilots other than my own. Maybe it's just because in a large metro area there are sooooo many other vehicles the Pilot is just harder to pick out.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts