Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I know they really placed Mobil 1 oil?

Yesterday, I had my first oil change (4000 miles). I requested an for Mobil 1. When I got my work order, I was only charged $13 (because I had a coupon). The Service Manager claims its Mobil 1, but that they only charged me as if I had a regular oil change.

I apreciate the good price for the Mobil 1 oil change, but how can I tell its really what I think it is. My concern is, I plan to have my next oil change after 7,000 to 10,000 additional miles.

Thanks.

·
Registered
602 Posts
If I were you, I would assume that they didn't use Mobil 1 and schedule your next oil change accordingly. Doesn't Mobil 1 cost over $4 per quart in WalMart? For 5 quarts, I doubt they would do the oil change for only $13. Perhaps they forgot to charge you, but to be on the safe side.....

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Aija said:
How do I know they really placed Mobil 1 oil?

Yesterday, I had my first oil change (4000 miles). I requested an for Mobil 1. When I got my work order, I was only charged $13 (because I had a coupon). The Service Manager claims its Mobil 1, but that they only charged me as if I had a regular oil change.

I apreciate the good price for the Mobil 1 oil change, but how can I tell its really what I think it is. My concern is, I plan to have my next oil change after 7,000 to 10,000 additional miles.

Thanks.
Probably wasn't - but even if it was, I would not go 10K miles before changing again!

:eek:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
If they indeed didn't change your oil with Mobil 1, and looks as though they didn't, then take it as a blessing in disguise. I read from various sources that you shouldn't start using Mobil 1 oil right away and should start using it at the third oil change or so.

You should ask your dealer if they allow you to bring your own oil when performing an oil change on your car and adjust the prices accordingly. My dealer let's me bring my own Mobil 1 oil and K&N Gold filter and charges me 10 bucks for the oil change service performed.

But colorider is right, you shouldn't wait 10K miles long before the next oil change even if Mobil 1 was used. If you fall under the Normal Driving Condition category, then I think the longest you should wait is 7,000 miles. If Severe, then 3,500 miles. I use Mobil 1, falling under Severe Condtion and I change my oil well before the next 3,500 miles. But then, as many in here will attest, I'm a bit of a loonie, so, it's up to you :D

·
Registered
920 Posts
RipRocK said:
If they indeed didn't change your oil with Mobil 1, and looks as though they didn't, then take it as a blessing in disguise. I read from various sources that you shouldn't start using Mobil 1 oil right away and should start using it at the third oil change or so.

Where do people get this crap anyway??? You can switch to M1 whenever you want.

Any yes, they more than likely did not use M1. Most of these service monkeys don't know that the 1 in M1 is the synthethic distinction.

However, if you wanna use M1, you can go 7500 b/t oil changes regardless of what climate you live in.

Example...I went with my cute co-worker to get the oil in her 03 Ody changed. I asked the dinosaur working there if they were gonna use 5W-20. He looks around the car to determine what year the Ody is. Then, like a dum****, states that the car uses 5W-30. I of course corrected him. He said 5W-30 was just fine. FU, you GD moron!!! Are you the engineer??? Did you design the car??? I think not. Stick to what you know and follow Honda's recommendation. Man, these people piss me off. That's why I refuse to take my car to anyone for maint purposes-

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hey MG;

How do you really feel about these service guys? I suppose you don't have good things to say about Jiffy Lube, huh?

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
MG Pilot said:
...I went with my cute co-worker to get the oil in her 03 Ody changed.
:needpics:

(on topic: doubt you got M1 since it's $4/qt best price, prolly more @ the dealer. Mobil makes a dino and a blend, too - in addition to M1. You prolly got the dino, maybe the blend. I'd not do an extended interval this time around.)

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
MG Pilot said:

Having a bad day? :rolleyes:

If you honestly believe all the hype that Mobil is feeding you, then I have a bridge for sale. It is NOT good practice to change to synthetic in ALL engines prior to the rings seating properly. Some engines you may get by just fine - but there are also those that you cannot. Period.

We have been down this path before and WE do not see eye-to-eye on synthetic oil. That's okay. But before you preach the technical attributes of Mobil 1 or any other synthetic, I suggest you get your facts straight - meaning talk to a few people that have EXPERIENCE and not rely totally on what you read on the bottle.

:soapbox:

Have a good day!!

:)

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Question

Since I never really checked into synthetic oils, what's the benefit? And why do some not recommend changing to until after a few oil changes? I normally do my own and have never used a synthetic.

:noteef:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Question

Art said:
Since I never really checked into synthetic oils, what's the benefit? And why do some not recommend changing to until after a few oil changes? I normally do my own and have never used a synthetic.

Synthetics typically retain their viscosity proprieties better than dino oils. This, in theory, should allow longer change intervals - but most people agree that you should not exceed the manufacturers recommended MAX interval.

Some feel you will attain better gas mileage, but my experience has never supported that. YMMV

I do not use it in my cages as I do not feel the added expense is justified - and because I ALWAYS change my oil/filter every 5K miles. This is just my opinion - other feel differently I'm sure.

I do use it in my motorcycle because it is safe for a wet-clutch whereas many of the "energy conserving" dino oils are not.

New engines take time to "break in" and some will use oil if converted to synthetic too soon. Many people report good results if they wait until the second or third change (10-15K miles).

Good luck!

:)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
MG Pilot said:
Of they can. But should you just because you can?
Any yes, they more than likely did not use M1. Most of these service monkeys don't know that the 1 in M1 is the synthethic distinction.

However, if you wanna use M1, you can go 7500 b/t oil changes regardless of what climate you live in.
About waiting until the third oil change or so before switching to Mobil 1 synthetic oil was something I read time again in here, over at the X site, and in varous honda, acura and toyota related newsgroups.
Check out this link:
Question about when to start using Mobil 1

This was asked by yours truly and look how the answers concur with what colorider says. What I know about cars probably doesn't even fit in the tip of a pinky finger of people like colorider, so I tend to listen and follow their advice when they're given out, especially when they're supported with understandable reasons, even for a dolt like me.
Example...I went with my cute co-worker to get the oil in her 03 Ody changed. I asked the dinosaur working there if they were gonna use 5W-20. He looks around the car to determine what year the Ody is. Then, like a dum****, states that the car uses 5W-30. I of course corrected him. He said 5W-30 was just fine. FU, you GD moron!!! Are you the engineer??? Did you design the car??? I think not. Stick to what you know and follow Honda's recommendation. Man, these people piss me off. That's why I refuse to take my car to anyone for maint purposes-
Oh, man, you're gonna hate me for this, but I use Mobil 1's 5W-30 without any reservations at all. Check out this link:
Question about Mobil 1's 0W-20 & 5W-30
If I can find M1' 0W-20, would I use it over 5W-30? Most probably, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

However, if your cute co-worker was using dyno oil, then I can certainly see why you called the mechanic on using 5W-30 oil even though 5W-20 was recommended.
Art said:

Hey Art, colorider gave you probably the best reason not to start using Mobil 1 or full synth oil right away. About the only cars you can start using it right away in are cars with blue printed engines, such as the Porsches and some MB/BMW cars. Oh, just in case you're wondering, here's an explanation of what a blue printed engine is. You think I'm bad with asking questions in here, I think some of the guys in those newsgroups put me in their killfile :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts