Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking and searching for a while now and figure ok, it's time to join the conversation! There's a good chance this thread has already exists, so my bad if I'm starting a duplicate.

I'm planning on replacing shocks, struts and coils on my 05 Pilot ~190K miles. Sag and ride are both pretty awful. I'm starting with the rear and then I'll work on the front. I'm looking at replacing with Moog coils and Gabriel shocks, as well as swapping out bump stops and spring seats. Any alternative or additional recommendations? Should I consider replacing bushings too and would I be able to do that myself? Is it worth installing air bags as well?

Thanks in advance for tips and pointers!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Welcome @Jimmyt ... installing air bags while swapping the springs is the best time if you need them. Most suspension bushings like control arms will need to be pressed in. Consider buying new parts with the new bushings installed will remove that issue. Auto parts stores like RockAuto has a big selection to choose from plus the forum discount.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Your Pilot is likely to need new front lower control arms, and new sway bar bushings and end links, both front and back, as well as the parts you already mentioned.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
151 Posts
I'm working on this right now. My 2004 is getting new front struts, control arms, end links, sway bar bushings, tie rods (definitely outer, maybe not inner too). New rear shocks went on a few days ago while I was doing new brakes rotors, pads, and calipers. Rear sway bar end links were seized in the mounts, so I had to go buy a cutoff wheel yesterday, will tackle the rear links another day.

I'm halfway through removing stuff on the right front, everything is rusty and takes a long time to break loose. All parts in the photo below are from Proforged, except the bar bushings (Moog) and the struts (KYB). I put new KYB shocks on the back, the originals were both busted. I noticed an immediate improvement in the ride and handling, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how the front improves.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Don't forget to enter your Piloteers 5% discount code before you check out.

5% Discount Code: 508F794D9D4F1F
Expires: August 12, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
151 Posts
For anyone curious about cost, all of the components shown in my photo above, plus the rear shocks (not shown) was around $700, including shipping, tax, and the RockAuto discount code. I'll also get a $50 rebate from KYB, bringing the total down to $650. Just the struts and control arms account for $500 of overall cost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts