Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking and searching for a while now and figure ok, it's time to join the conversation! There's a good chance this thread has already exists, so my bad if I'm starting a duplicate.

I'm planning on replacing shocks, struts and coils on my 05 Pilot ~190K miles. Sag and ride are both pretty awful. I'm starting with the rear and then I'll work on the front. I'm looking at replacing with Moog coils and Gabriel shocks, as well as swapping out bump stops and spring seats. Any alternative or additional recommendations? Should I consider replacing bushings too and would I be able to do that myself? Is it worth installing air bags as well?

Thanks in advance for tips and pointers!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Welcome @Jimmyt ... installing air bags while swapping the springs is the best time if you need them. Most suspension bushings like control arms will need to be pressed in. Consider buying new parts with the new bushings installed will remove that issue. Auto parts stores like RockAuto has a big selection to choose from plus the forum discount.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Your Pilot is likely to need new front lower control arms, and new sway bar bushings and end links, both front and back, as well as the parts you already mentioned.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
I'm working on this right now. My 2004 is getting new front struts, control arms, end links, sway bar bushings, tie rods (definitely outer, maybe not inner too). New rear shocks went on a few days ago while I was doing new brakes rotors, pads, and calipers. Rear sway bar end links were seized in the mounts, so I had to go buy a cutoff wheel yesterday, will tackle the rear links another day.

I'm halfway through removing stuff on the right front, everything is rusty and takes a long time to break loose. All parts in the photo below are from Proforged, except the bar bushings (Moog) and the struts (KYB). I put new KYB shocks on the back, the originals were both busted. I noticed an immediate improvement in the ride and handling, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how the front improves.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,257 Posts
Don't forget to enter your Piloteers 5% discount code before you check out.

5% Discount Code: 508F794D9D4F1F
Expires: August 12, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
For anyone curious about cost, all of the components shown in my photo above, plus the rear shocks (not shown) was around $700, including shipping, tax, and the RockAuto discount code. I'll also get a $50 rebate from KYB, bringing the total down to $650. Just the struts and control arms account for $500 of overall cost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@andywatson Did you buy your Proforged LCAs on RockAuto or anywhere else? I'm asking because I just bought a single arm on Amazon and what I received didn't look exactly like the LCA pictured on Proforged own web site that I'm attaching here:

The stamped markings on mine are different, arm's sides are almost flat (as opposed to clear two-plane slanted ones on this photo). Ball joint, castle nut and the bolt look a bit different too.
It came in a simple sealed plastic bag with a P/N barcode attached, not in a box that I (maybe wrongfully) expected. I thought that I got a fake one, but then went on to check any pictures here on Piloteers.org and found yours. Mine looks exactly like LCAs on your photo (can't tell for sure about the boots as yours are covered by that plastic thingy that I also have on it).

Now I'm confused about what to think. If yours came from Rockauto, I'm sure they are genuine as those guys don't sell fakes as far as I know. Not so sure about Amazon, I already received brake caliper bolts substituted by a different (cheaper) manufacturer ones from them.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
All of my Proforged parts came from RockAuto in sealed bags inside fancy red/black Proforged-labeled boxes, except for the lower control arms. They were just in sealed clear plastic bags. The tie rod ends came with a cotter pin sealed in a tiny bag, and with a random loose 2x3 inch piece of brown paper, I guess to draw attention to the fact that the cotter pin bag was there so people wouldn't accidently throw it away. The cotter pin in the bag with the control arm was in the exact same package as the pin in the tie rod end package, and also had that random piece of brown paper, and when I held both pins up to each other, I could see that they were exactly the same, so I didn't worry about mixing them up after I opened them. So I'm about 99% certain my control arms are genuine Proforged parts. The protective caps are still on the control arm ball joints in my photo above, but there were no protective caps on the tie rod end boots, probably since they come in a nice box. I don't remember what the printing on the bottom of my control arms says, or what they look like, but I could go outside and take a picture if you want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks. No worries, as I said my LCA looks 100% as yours. There's no stamping on the other side. And I also had a pin and a piece of brown paper inside exactly as you described.
I guess either stock photo on Proforged web-site is incorrect (all internet sellers show the same picture, probably taken from there) or they changed the design some time ago. I found another thread here with photos taken a few months ago and Proforged LCAs there look the same as ours with AM RH / AM LH lettering stamped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts