Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 Pilot SE, AWD, 171,000. New to us a few months back. I’ve done a lot of maintenance work and with regard to the suspension, all 4 wheels have new shocks or strut/coils. Also have new sway bar bushings. I had my mechanic do the front coil/strut and asked him to see if the sway bar end links needed replacing. He said all 4 looked good and didn’t need replacing.

While the ride has certainly improved from what I’m sure were all original parts, I still have a squeak at times over slow and uneven surfaces such as a parking lot. Only thing I can think MAY be related is the control arm or control arm bushing, but truth be told, I’m unsure of what to check next.

* unrelated to this, does my pilot have grease zerks? If so, how can I find their location?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
49 Posts
If your lower control arm bushings have not been replaced, that may be your squeak. Get a pry bar and see how much play you have in there.

Reactions: Rykertest

·
Registered
858 Posts
08 Pilot SE, AWD, 171,000. New to us a few months back. I’ve done a lot of maintenance work and with regard to the suspension, all 4 wheels have new shocks or strut/coils. Also have new sway bar bushings. I had my mechanic do the front coil/strut and asked him to see if the sway bar end links needed replacing. He said all 4 looked good and didn’t need replacing.

While the ride has certainly improved from what I’m sure were all original parts, I still have a squeak at times over slow and uneven surfaces such as a parking lot. Only thing I can think MAY be related is the control arm or control arm bushing, but truth be told, I’m unsure of what to check next.

* unrelated to this, does my pilot have grease zerks? If so, how can I find their location?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
When your mechanic replaced the front struts, did he use a set of new complete ("loaded") struts? Or did he rebuild the old struts with new hydraulic dampers? If he rebuilt the old struts, and reused the top plates and strut bearings, this could be the source of your squeak.

At 171k, if the original lower control arms are still there, they are near the end of their life. I assume that your mechanic checked these parts out.

Regarding sway bar links, the same thought applies. At 171k, the originals are probably shot. They can "look" fine, but need to be tested on the lift with a pry bar for looseness. Bad links are noisy on bumpy roads.

As for zerk fittings, it depends. I believe that the original OEM suspension parts on the Pilot are sealed, without zerks. Aftermarket parts may or may not have zerks, depending on the manufacturer. You can check under the ball joint where the LCA connects to the bottom of the steering knuckle, some are sealed, and some have zerks. Some sway bar links also have zerks on both ends. Upper strut bearings are sealed and not accessible, so they should be replaced when struts are serviced. Control arm bushings at the body mounting points are not lubed, and will fail due to age when the bonded rubber portion cracks and separates.

And of course, there are even more suspension parts at the rear wheels. Upper and lower control arms, trailing arms, and a sway bar assembly. Bushings can squeak, yet still be good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If your lower control arm bushings have not been replaced, that may be your squeak. Get a pry bar and see how much play you have in there.
I’ll get in there and see if they looked torn or if I can recreate the movement while watching the bushing. Thank you,

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When your mechanic replaced the front struts, did he use a set of new complete ("loaded") struts? Or did he rebuild the old struts with new hydraulic dampers? If he rebuilt the old struts, and reused the top plates and strut bearings, this could be the source of your squeak.

At 171k, if the original lower control arms are still there, they are near the end of their life. I assume that your mechanic checked these parts out.

Regarding sway bar links, the same thought applies. At 171k, the originals are probably shot. They can "look" fine, but need to be tested on the lift with a pry bar for looseness. Bad links are noisy on bumpy roads.

As for zerk fittings, it depends. I believe that the original OEM suspension parts on the Pilot are sealed, without zerks. Aftermarket parts may or may not have zerks, depending on the manufacturer. You can check under the ball joint where the LCA connects to the bottom of the steering knuckle, some are sealed, and some have zerks. Some sway bar links also have zerks on both ends. Upper strut bearings are sealed and not accessible, so they should be replaced when struts are serviced. Control arm bushings at the body mounting points are not lubed, and will fail due to age when the bonded rubber portion cracks and separates.

And of course, there are even more suspension parts at the rear wheels. Upper and lower control arms, trailing arms, and a sway bar assembly. Bushings can squeak, yet still be good.
It was a new complete set of loaded coil and strut assembly.

I wondered about the control arm bushings. At this point, I’d just replace the whole arm and bushings. I’ll call my mechanic and ask how he verified that the end links were ok. So far, when he tells me something, I’ve found him to be accurate so I’ll assume he verified they were good unless he says otherwise.

Looks like I’ll just save up a little and get some more work done. Lol. Car sure rides better with new struts and shocks. They were the originals when we bought it at 165K.
Thanks for your reply.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts