Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Pilot has a noise that at first seems to be coming from an item in the console, but is actually originating from the right rear wheel area. I have driven a second unit at my dealer and experience the same noise. If I apply the emergency brake lightly while the vehicle is still moving, amazing clunks come from this area as well. My dealer replace the shock and there nothing appears to be loose. Anyone else with this problem? :confused:

·
Registered
592 Posts
is this noise coming all the time when you drive or only when you apply brakes.

why would you "apply the emergency brake lightly while the vehicle is still moving"

Bill Price said:
My Pilot has a noise that at first seems to be coming from an item in the console, but is actually originating from the right rear wheel area. I have driven a second unit at my dealer and experience the same noise. If I apply the emergency brake lightly while the vehicle is still moving, amazing clunks come from this area as well. My dealer replace the shock and there nothing appears to be loose. Anyone else with this problem? :confused:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This noise has been present from the beginning and took some time to isolate. As stated, from the driver's seat, it sounds like something rattling in the console. By letting someone else drive, it is clear that the home of the noise is in the right rear wheel area. Sitting in the middle right seat provides the best observation point. It only occurrs when the wheel encounters a moderate road irregularity which in New Orleans would be any street. The mechanic at the dealership clearly heard it and replaced the shock. No better. The emergency brake was applied while rolling to see if it had any impact on the noise. While it had no impact on the noise, it produced its own loud clunk that amazed the dealer. Try it - it is impressive and strange how it only occurrs on the rattle (right) side. A new Pilot on the lot did the same thing. May not matter, but can't believe it is designed to be that way. Can't help but feel the two are related. By the way, the emergency brake cable goes under the vehicle close to the console. May be carrying the sound. Does yours have similar sounds?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hmmm, Bill -- sounds like our cars must have been built on the same day (does your number happen to be near 1548?)

I also hear a rattling which sounds like it's coming from the glove compartment area....only hear it occasionally and, yes, only on bumpy roads (over which I travel way too frequently). Sometimes I'll hear it all day, then other days will go by and I won't hear it at all. Haven't heard it for quite a few days now.

I'll have to try sitting in the back while someone else is driving to see if I can pinpoint that it's actually coming from the back.

I'm scared to hear the emergency brake noise...:eek:

The sound of the gas thumping around back there is freaky enough!

Diane

·
Registered
289 Posts
Have either of you

checked the 3rd row headrests if they are in their storage compartment? Could it be possible one or more of them are a little loose and rattling?:confused:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VIN # last four digits are 3478

Thanks for the replies. No doubt the noise is outside and involved with the rear wheel movement. Third seat headrests are not in vehicle. Mileage is now 5700 . While I really like the design, I am most disappointed in the way mine was built. Hope to be able to outline further in a new thread.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I also have a rattling/vibration noise coming from the right rear wheel area, although I have never mistaken it as coming from the centre console.

I only hear it going over bumps.

Taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Praying they will hear it and be able to fix it along with my windows scrunching.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a SS EX-L RES #572 that I took delivery on 6-3-02.
I hear a rear suspension noise as well. The noise sounds like it is coming from the left side, rear. It is a clunking/scrunching sound when going over bumps. I had it in for service and my dealer said they retorqued the rear suspension. This has made no difference as the noise is still there and is driving me insane.

:3:

·
Registered
20 Posts
This may have nothing to do with the noise you hear in your vehicle but I've isolated the source of a couple of sounds that I only hear when going over bumps and uneven roads.

Rattle coming from the console area. Took me a while but finally isolated it to the door used to gain access to the cell phone storage area. Solution: Make sure the door is securely closed and latched.

Clunk from rear of vehicle. If the jack is not properly secured in the driver's side storage compartment it will rattle and clunk. Solution: Secure the jack by turning the actuator until it is secure in the compartment.

Fixed my problems, may not fix yours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rattling Noise

I am new to this group...I hope I am posting properly. I experienced the rattling noise that sounded like it was coming from the console area. It was actually the struts underneath the vehicle. A design issue places the stuts in a position to tap against something. Based on the Yahoo discussion group, many Pilot owners have experienced the same problem. My dealer adjusted the stuts and wrapped them in tape - problem went away. I think some of the other owners had their struts replaced.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The noise I hear sounds like there is something loose under my car. You can't really tell just driving, but when I'm in my parking ramp, and the noise echos off the cement walls, I can hear it plain as day. It sounds like there is some sort of heatshield loose underneath.

PS...I've crawled under the car to see if anything was obviously loose...no luck.

Any thoughts or suggestions???

·
Registered
94 Posts
GUPT0014 : Is the sound coming from the rear right area of the car? Mine definitely comes from that area, not from the console.

Mine sounds like a metallic rattling/vibration from the rear wheel well. Get it when going over bumps.

I also have a loud spring-like suspension sound when going over speed bumps and a sound from the rear suspension when making right turns sometimes.

Also have the window scruch like many others.

I could just turn the CD Player way up and ignore it all but I'm too neurotic for that!

·
Registered
152 Posts
ablatt said:
GUPT0014 : Is the sound coming from the rear right area of the car? Mine definitely comes from that area, not from the console.

Mine sounds like a metallic rattling/vibration from the rear wheel well. Get it when going over bumps.

I also have a loud spring-like suspension sound when going over speed bumps and a sound from the rear suspension when making right turns sometimes.

Also have the window scruch like many others.

I could just turn the CD Player way up and ignore it all but I'm too neurotic for that!
ablatt,

I have the same type of issue. I have NO idea what it could be. It just sounds like something is loose. I kinda want to wait till Honda starts coming out with TSBs for these issues we have been discussing and take it in once to get everything done alltogether. Do you have any idea what it could be???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yahoo discussion group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/

search for Honda Pilot. I do like the Honda-Pilot.org site much more though. Great discussion topics! Amazing how much more I have learned online than at the dealership.... it would be helpful for Honda dealerships to be online... it could help them save time identifying the source of problems.

·
Registered
94 Posts
gupt0014 said:

ablatt,

I have the same type of issue. I have NO idea what it could be. It just sounds like something is loose. I kinda want to wait till Honda starts coming out with TSBs for these issues we have been discussing and take it in once to get everything done alltogether. Do you have any idea what it could be???
I have my car in right now for service. Will be suprised if they find it but in any event will post the results here next week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Noise From Right Side Going Over Bumps

We have the same noise that has been difficult to locate. I hesitate to bring to the dealer at this time, until the issue comes to the surface and Honda issues T.S.B.'s regarding the issue as talked about by another Pilot owner on this subject.

The noise we are hearing is noticed when we go over bumps. I have checked the spare tire, jack, heat shield on the muffler etc.

I hope that Honda is looking at the issues that are being posted!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Area to look at

When ever I hear of more of you having the same problem as me, I just don't feel so paranoid. I have a theory on this noise. Mine is real and I have been in, under and around the passenger rear wheel area of my vehicle. This is what I think is the problem. The all wheel drive part of the vehicle mandates a rear differential. Since this vehicle also has independent rear suspension, it has to have (well most of the time) flexible drive shafts just like the front. These shafts have two CV joints each. One end is bolted to the rear wheel assembly. The inboard side just slides in and locks inside the differential. On the passenger side, the end of this shaft does not fit tightly inside the differential. In my Pilot, it is extremely loose. I believe that each time the wheel responds to a "bump" the shock is transmitted from the wheel through the right side drive shaft to the point where it causes the inner CV joint to vibrate where it meets the differential. I believe you can duplicate the sound by bumping the inner CV joint housing. I further believe that this sound follows the main drive shaft to some degree, hense the appearance of coming from the console area. While this will take a fix from Honda, I have added weight to the drive shaft (don't ask). This seemed to have an absorbing affect on the noise. Thoughts?? BP

·
Registered
236 Posts
leaking shocks

I started a new thread yesterday on a similar topic.

I had a VERY loud thud coming from my rear as well (drivers side). Got under the vehicle and found grease leaking all over the shock, strut and wheel.

Called the dealer and he thought it was a leaking shock. Taking it in later this week.

This, however, is a really, really loud thud when turning or going over large bumps. Not a rattle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts