Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 EX-L 4WD Nav
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed a subtle clunk in the suspension of my Pilot, but only in very specific instances. It only clunks when traveling on an ungraded dirt road or when going over speed bumps at an angle (one wheel cresting the bump before the other).

I took it to a mechanic who called me a few hours later stating that they could not recreate the clunk, but checked out my suspension and everything seemed "tight". I went back to the shop and took it for a test drive with a mechanic in the passenger seat. I drove it over their speed bumps at 45-degree angle and sure enough, it made the clunk. They were unable to put my car back on the lift today to inspect, so it will be going back on Wednesday.

In the meantime, does anybody know what could be causing this very specific clunk? It's only when the vehicle is rocking from side to side. Sometimes I go days without noticing it, as long as I'm not using dirt roads. It is so specific to the side-to-side rocking motion, that even if I go over a speed bump perfectly straight (both wheels at the same time), it will not make the noise. It seems weird to me that the suspension checked out okay. The spare tire is tight, and if I had to guess it sounds like the noise is coming from the front of the car.

Any replies appreciated. I will try to get a video soon.

·
Administrator
15,524 Posts
Classic front Sway bar bushings. Cheap part, I ended up going to a shop to do it, as the front sub-frame had to be dropped a little to get access.
My clunking started at around 80k, replaced at 120k. Replacements still good at 248k

·
Registered
2006 EX-L 4WD Nav
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should I be alarmed that this shop didn't catch that even though they allegedly checked my suspension? Or is it a tough problem to find?

Thanks for the quick response.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
What Rocky said. When I had mine done, it cured the clunking, but only when the old ones had been removed could I see that the insides were slightly out of round, and that's because I was looking for it.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Could be ball joints as well. I've just replaced my bushings for the first time in car's history and once they quieted down, I heard that the ball joints are up to.
They bushings clunked when the wheel dropped going over the cracks and holes, now the ball joints clunk when changing from slowing down to accelerating and vice versa.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Clunking on mine was to a "loose" ball joint according to dealership $1300 for one side.. I looked at him and said are they made out of gold? ...so I swapped both myself with autozone parts..both done at a fraction of the cost and a bonus a Cold case of 24 pack was waiting when done from the boss.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L 4WD Nav
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses.

I took it back to the same shop today so they could diagnose and I mentioned the sway bar bushings. I was told they would check them out but the mechanic has a hunch that it's the sway bar links.

We'll see what they come back with. It's a 2006 EXL 4WD with 150k btw.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Links sounds a little more plausible, but let us know if that solves it. If not, consider sway bar bushings.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L 4WD Nav
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The mechanic called and said they are pretty sure it's the driver's side sway bar link boot -- it seems to be a little "torn up". I am not familiar with this part at all, but apparently it is an extremely minor part of the overall suspension. They also claim that the clunk it's making is so faint that it's absolutely not necessary to change out right away until it makes more noises in all driving situations, not just the two very particular ones I notice.

They suggested that if I do replace them, I replace them with MOOG brand ones rather than OEM because I take the car off pavement more than most. Cost is $368.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts