Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, my son just purchased an 06 Pilot and a couple of days later the rig started making a horrible noise. I would have imagined that belt broke and the engine would be toast. I have been doing some research and this seems to be somewhat common. I was just told that if the engine starts the valves would not be bent and all we would have to do is replace the belt, tensioner and WP. Please tell me that this is true or if there is a way to tell instead of chasing our tail. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Don't run the engine. Honda Pilots have interference engines. I would remove the cam covers and verify the belt is still intact or broken. They are pretty easy to remove.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
May I ask for a video how to do that ? This is my first time an I would "Klazzify" myself as "Youtube Brilliant"

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have the front one mostly off and it would appear that the belt is still on there if that makes any difference

·
Banned
0 Posts
This is the part you probably need. Amazon.com: AISIN BTH-001 OEM Timing Belt Tensioner: Automotive

take out the lower bolt first and then replace with new one only after making sure the crank bolt key is facing straight up, and both cam's are aligned to their marks as shown in video's and there is no slack in the belt except where you are going to pull the grenade pin. It's all in the video's.

4:15 in the first video, and 6:21 after you checked everything is aligned and your belt is ok, if the belt has been damaged replace that also with an Aisin one.

·
Registered
425 Posts
We have the front one mostly off and it would appear that the belt is still on there if that makes any difference
so that's a promising sign.....you can check timing without pulling the crank pulley etc off. There is a mark on the outside of the lower cover to align the crank pulley and check the cam gear locations.

are you a DIY and want to replace the timing kit? Its an involved job...with the hardest part being getting the crank pulley bolt loose - the first time is takes about 1000 ft-lbs to loosen. Also, most recommend a kit with an Aisin water pump.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
so that's a promising sign.....you can check timing without pulling the crank pulley etc off. There is a mark on the outside of the lower cover to align the crank pulley and check the cam gear locations.

are you a DIY and want to replace the timing kit? Its an involved job...with the hardest part being getting the crank pulley bolt loose - the first time is takes about 1000 ft-lbs to loosen. Also, most recommend a kit with an Aisin water pump.....
I am better than I stated for sure, just new to honda. I understand about the crank pulley bolt. I was thinking about this Amazon.com: Mofeez 77080 19mm Harmonic Balancer Socket for Honda: Automotive

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a 19 mm impact socket as well with a pneumatic impact wrench. Also, need the 50 MM honda crank pulley holder - lots of options on amazon.

Also while your there, I would do the crank seal, the accessory tensioner pulley (just the pulley), accessory belt.
First, I want to thank you from the bottom of both mine and my sons heart. You have been beyond patient and more than helpful.
I am guessing that this is the kit I should be getting from Rock Auto, or should I purchase the parts individually?
More Information for AISIN TKH002
Crank Seal:
More Information for TIMKEN 710614
tensioner pully:
More Information for HAYDEN 5979
Serpentine belt:
More Information for BANDO 6PK2135
Or maybe this kit?
More Information for DAYCO KIT432BCK
Also, should I order new bolts for everything?

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
My advice would be to replace both tensioner and belt, minimum. When a tensioner fails the belt can be stretched.
Aisin Tensioner BTH-001
Mitsuboshi Timing Belt CD329
If there is no indication of when the timing belt water pump job was done, I'm ordering the whole Aisin kit TKH‐002.
I'd be glad to help source these parts. Where you buy is important. Lots of counterfeit parts out there.

·
Registered
425 Posts
My advice would be to replace both tensioner and belt, minimum. When a tensioner fails the belt can be stretched.
Aisin Tensioner BTH-001
Mitsuboshi Timing Belt CD329
If there is no indication of when the timing belt water pump job was done, I'm ordering the whole Aisin kit TKH‐002.
I'd be glad to help source these parts. Where you buy is important. Lots of counterfeit parts out there.
agree get the TKH-002 kit

1 - 20 of 39 Posts