Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EXL-RES
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased our Starlight Metallic Silver 2004 in 2008 with 34k miles as my wife’s car and to tow our pop up camper. In 2014 It became my daily driver and now has almost 190k miles. In all that time I’ve only ever washed it myself or taken to someone for a detailing job; nothing more than a wax.

With no commuting into work and super limited activities outside the house, I decided to give my Pilot a little TLC. It’s not had a hard life but neither has it been pampered. There were lots of dings and scratches. I gave it a really thorough washing and then parked in the garage where my wife’s car and our Aliner camper normally park. Over the course of 2 weekends and a little work on the weeknights, I clay barred every square inch of the exterior paint, plastic and glass, applied a coat of compound polish to remove any paint defects, applied polish to remove swirls and bring out the luster of the paint and then applied a coat of carnauba wax. I’m blown away at well the paint came back, in some places it looks new. Bad scratches buffed down to minor scratches and the worst parts are now some the plastic pieces on the lower door sections and the rear bumper where it’s been gouged or pitted down to the black base.

The Pilot runs like a champ and besides breaking down only once in 11 years/156k miles of ownership (starter motor died), it’s only ever needed standard maintenance. I plan on keeping it until it dies.

Next steps are to purchase a hood deflector to keep the rock chips to a minimum and I think it will look good with the black bull bar and black headlights. My 16 y/o son said he’d plasti-dip the wheels (black or a dark gray/charcoa). I may also black out the chrome pieces (Honda emblems and Pilot plaque).

-Mike

·
Registered
504 Posts
Nice job!

If the paint is still basically solid, a "driveway detail" will go a long way.

I've found that using swirl remover has a cumulative effect - the paint will smooth out and gloss up even more over time. I think that the paint on my '03 is pretty tough, too, but that's more because it survived the abuse it apparently got. Still, it looks fine from 10 feet away, and that's fine with me.

Did you buff up your headlight covers, too? Those look amazing.

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EXL-RES
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice job!

If the paint is still basically solid, a "driveway detail" will go a long way.

I've found that using swirl remover has a cumulative effect - the paint will smooth out and gloss up even more over time. I think that the paint on my '03 is pretty tough, too, but that's more because it survived the abuse it apparently got. Still, it looks fine from 10 feet away, and that's fine with me.

Did you buff up your headlight covers, too? Those look amazing.
Thanks, I’m happy with my 10 foot car, in that it looks great @ 10 ft away. The headlights are about 9months old, I did not touch them but I’m research what to do for long term protection to keep them from yellowing. My old ones were pretty bad and would have required hours to restore. I liked these black housing ones better so I bought them, under $100 for the pair in total.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Your Pilot looks great and I have the same silver color. Mine could use some detailing as the paint has tolerated years of neglect and perks back up with the occasional spray wax spritz.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EXL-RES
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plástico dipped the emblems today, my first time.

The rear H didn’t turn out as well as I hoped but the others turned out well.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
Yes, love to find out where they were bought. My quest for fender flares is ongoing.
College Hills Honda seems to have some of the individual pieces from the fender flare kit available.
Plus, they list the part numbers for all of the pieces, whether they're in stock, or not.

If you're sufficiently keen/desperate to get a set of the fenders flares, then maybe you can search for and find all of the separate pieces needed to make up a complete kit.
Fender Flares (2) for 2006 Honda PILOT 5-DOOR | College Hills Honda Parts

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
College Hills Honda seems to have some of the individual pieces from the fender flare kit available.
Plus, they list the part numbers for all of the pieces, whether they're in stock, or not.

If you're sufficiently keen/desperate to get a set of the fenders flares, then maybe you can search for and find all of the separate pieces needed to make up a complete kit.
Fender Flares (2) for 2006 Honda PILOT 5-DOOR | College Hills Honda Parts
Believe or not (and I'm sure you probably do :)), I've tried going that route, ordered all the parts, and then received an email that not all of them are still available, and my order was canceled. Happened a few times and it's always the same major sine qua non part(s) they don't have anymore.

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EXL-RES
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I recently painted (plasti-dip) my emblems and installed an AVS bug deflector. I’m really enjoying getting back into my Pilot and doing some minor mods.

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex
1 - 12 of 12 Posts