Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
A recent Piloteer didn’t have a predrilled hole in his transmission for the mounting bracket not sure if this was for all FWD but look into that to make sure the bolt hole is there.
I believe the install you're referring to was with 9 speed transmission with totally different cooler setup. Talking to Nail Grease he had no issues installing the kit on his FWD EXL. Regardless, I'll try to locate it when doing the oil change this weekend. I wonder how hard (or even possible at all) it will be without removing all the plastic covers down there?

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
887 Posts
I believe the install you're referring to was with 9 speed transmission with totally different cooler setup. Talking to Nail Grease he had no issues installing the kit on his FWD EXL. Regardless, I'll try to locate it when doing the oil change this weekend. I wonder how hard (or even possible at all) it will be without removing all the plastic covers down there?
It won't be possible to do it without removing the plastic underneath. It wasn't too bad removing the covers but there are several different fastener styles, so you just have to keep track of where they go. Also if you remove the battery and battery box, you will have much better access to the fluid lines and filter which I would recommend that you change while you are in there.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It won't be possible to do it without removing the plastic underneath. It wasn't too bad removing the covers but there are several different fastener styles, so you just have to keep track of where they go. Also if you remove the battery and battery box, you will have much better access to the fluid lines and filter which I would recommend that you change while you are in there.
Thanks for the tips, Hondamon. Now that I've discovered that EOM cooler not meant to be installed on the FWD pilot, and also given that I still have around 10 months worth of full warranty on the car, I'm not certain that I should go ahead and install it right away - i can only guess what would be Honda's position seeing the cooler installed if I was to bring in the car for any transmission related work. I might try to take it in first for the TSB work or get the software updated at minimum.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the tips, Hondamon. Now that I've discovered that EOM cooler not meant to be installed on the FWD pilot, and also given that I still have around 10 months worth of full warranty on the car, I'm not certain that I should go ahead and install it right away - i can only guess what would be Honda's position seeing the cooler installed if I was to bring in the car for any transmission related work. I might try to take it in first for the TSB work or get the software updated at minimum.
Get the TSB work done and the software update, I just did this and it fixed mine up good as new. You can worry about the trans cooler etc. but honestly, I just plan on doing my trans fluid more often. Mine got a solid 40k before it showed any issue and Honda actaully does not charge much for this service (though the TSB 17-014 should be at Honda's expense). Change the fluid at 30k is a pretty easy (and cheap) fix.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Get the TSB work done and the software update, I just did this and it fixed mine up good as new. You can worry about the trans cooler etc. but honestly, I just plan on doing my trans fluid more often. Mine got a solid 40k before it showed any issue and Honda actaully does not charge much for this service (though the TSB 17-014 should be at Honda's expense). Change the fluid at 30k is a pretty easy (and cheap) fix.
What were the symptoms your pilot had that warranted you taking the car in for TSB work?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, first download the TSB 17-014 (it is posted here), then read it. When you take your Pilot in, use the same language as described in the TSB, specifically the word "Judder" as this is how Honda describes the issue. My service manager, as soon as I said that word, looked up and said, "I think I know what the problem is..."

Honda paid for the flush and new transmission fluid. I know I will be responsible in the future, so I am planning on doing future changes myself (I have done this many times). Honda's price to do this service was really fair though, I think the tech said it was $150, which is a great deal. If you DIY it (I probably will anyway because I am like that), the fluid will cost you around $100).

My post on DIY is here...

Just be sure, either way, to service the fluid around 30k-40k.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes, first download the TSB 17-014 (it is posted here), then read it. When you take your Pilot in, use the same language as described in the TSB, specifically the word "Judder" as this is how Honda describes the issue. My service manager, as soon as I said that word, looked up and said, "I think I know what the problem is..."

Honda paid for the flush and new transmission fluid. I know I will be responsible in the future, so I am planning on doing future changes myself (I have done this many times). Honda's price to do this service was really fair though, I think the tech said it was $150, which is a great deal. If you DIY it (I probably will anyway because I am like that), the fluid will cost you around $100).

My post on DIY is here...

Just be sure, either way, to service the fluid around 30k-40k.
Well, that's the thing, I don't really have judder. I've been on a fluid change regimen for quite some time now and the fluid in the tranny is pretty fresh

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, that's the thing, I don't really have judder. I've been on a fluid change regimen for quite some time now and the fluid in the tranny is pretty fresh

I would still get the TSB done, if you have not yet. I do not know the exact details of the software update, but it will be included. Then I would move on to injectors. But the problem you initially describe sounds exactly like the issue I was having before the TSB service.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would still get the TSB done, if you have not yet. I do not know the exact details of the software update, but it will be included. Then I would move on to injectors. But the problem you initially describe sounds exactly like the issue I was having before the TSB service.
What do you mean by move on to injectors?

·
Registered
19 Posts
What do you mean by move on to injectors?

That seems to be another common repair on these vehicles, from my research. They are often replaced under factory repair, though mine has no issues, so I have not looked into that particular TSB. But if you look though these pages, a number of people seem to have had issues with the injectors.

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX AWD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Here is an update on my original post.

Did a single drain and fill using Honda fluid. While the fluid didn't look 'cooked', it was darker than the new stuff and it SMELLED burnt. I've done a lot of maintenance over the years on all sorts of vehicles and that transmission fluid smelled like it had undergone some heat. The 6-speed AWD has had a Honda cooler on it since 3K miles. It was the original fluid and it had only 25K miles on it.

I got a chance to go back out to the area where I can really test it. The surging was gone. Not one blip of the tachometer accelerating up a mild hill.

To m knowledge, it has never had that TSB done and since it is not happening now, I'm not sure I can get the dealer to do any updates.

Going forward, I'm going to be doing a 1x drain and fill every 15K. Hope that will keep the fluid new/good enough to prevent the surging feeling. May even do one more in the near future to get just that much more good fluid in the system.

Either the Honda fluid is weak stuff or the transmission is really abusing the fluid. Heck, beginning to doubt all Honda transmission fluids. I had a 6-speed manual Acura TSX that I ended up running Amsoil to cure 2nd gear syncro grinding. My '16 V6 Accord just got a drain and fill of Valvoline MaxLife and is running slightly smoother, but I'll take all I can get with that gear bumper unit. May try Redline or Amsoil in the future.

The only other vehicle I ever had that was so sensitive to fluid condition was a 2000 Nissan Maxima that required a full drain and fill every 20K miles, lest it would try its best to dump all the gears on the road top at every up shift.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had my transmission flushed twice and it fixed the hesitation during acceleration. Got it done under warranty at 25,000 miles. The issue is an update in the transmission which burns the fluid but was supposed to be corrected on the next update.

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX AWD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Shortly after doing the first 1x drain and fill, I did another one because of the marked improvement. It has been 10K miles and I decided that one drain and fill every 10K miles wasn't going to break the bank going forward. This last drain and fill (3rd one if you are keeping count) the fluid appeared (look and smell) much better than the first time I did it. The color hadn't turned dark to any extent and the smell definitely wasn't like cooked fluid.

The Honda fluid isn't cheap, but compared to the stuff for the CVTs and newer 9 and 10 speed transmissions use, it is very reasonable. Maybe once it is no longer covered by a warranty I'll switch to the compatible Valvoline fluid that has really improved the 6-speed in my '16 V6 Accord.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts