Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally leave my sunroof in the tilt position when not driving in order to let air in.
After sitting for quite a while I got in and went to open it and all it would do is to go just short of the fully closed position.
I'm guessing that some debris from a tree overhead must have fallen in and got lodged in the track.
With a little help I could get it to close, but when I got to push the button for it to slide back, instead of the back edge dipping down it appears to actually pop up slightly and then stop.
I know from other vehicles that it likely works on a worm gear or similar.
Does anyone know of a way to "help" it get moving in the right direction?
It moves so it's not the motor or switch.
In the event that there isn't an easy fix does anyone know of the procedure to remove the existing assembly?
There are several from junkyards in the area that have assemblys for $75, so if I can swap it out, that is fine also.
Haven't been able to find anything online so far for a (2006) Pilot
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I normally leave my sunroof in the tilt position when not driving in order to let air in.
After sitting for quite a while I got in and went to open it and all it would do is to go just short of the fully closed position.
I'm guessing that some debris from a tree overhead must have fallen in and got lodged in the track.
With a little help I could get it to close, but when I got to push the button for it to slide back, instead of the back edge dipping down it appears to actually pop up slightly and then stop.
I know from other vehicles that it likely works on a worm gear or similar.
Does anyone know of a way to "help" it get moving in the right direction?
It moves so it's not the motor or switch.
In the event that there isn't an easy fix does anyone know of the procedure to remove the existing assembly?
There are several from junkyards in the area that have assemblys for $75, so if I can swap it out, that is fine also.
Haven't been able to find anything online so far for a (2006) Pilot
Thanks!
As you stated. Dirt and trash build up in the track. It probably needs a good cleaning and a little machine oil in the right places.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Just for giggles, before you go off to the bone yard, can you blow some compressed air into the tracks? Can you get a Shop-Vac narrow nozzle into there? Can you you spray some silicone lubricant in there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if compressed air will be enough to knock it loose.
I'm thinking if there is some way to remove the whole assembly I might be able to clear what is jamming the track.
But the problem is that I don't know how to access it.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
794 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but sunroofs/moonroofs are all pretty much the same for accessing for repair. Your are going to have to strip off the upper cabin trim pieces so you can then drop the headliner. Once the headliner is out of they way it is easy-peasy. It's the removing and reinstalling the headliner that is, shall we say, a female dog.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The mechanism with the plastic guides that positions the glass appears to have full range.
I saw something regarding another Honda stated something about re-calibrating the sunroof and had a series of holding the sunroof buttons in while turning the key from the off position, etc.
Is the sequence the same for all Honda vehicles?
Can't hurt to try before trying to tear the whole thing apart

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,335 Posts
It can‘t hurt to give that recalibration a try. You have nothing to lose at this point. That beats pulling the headliner off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts