Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to go purchase my Pilot today and inquired about the optional sunroof being offered at another dealership. The dealership I went to purchase the vehicle said they do not offer one and it would void the warranty from Honda. So I called the dealership who sells Pilots with aftermarket sunroofs and they said it does not void the warranty. What have all of you heard on this issue?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
What warenty?

I am sure if it rusted around the opening or inside a panel where they ran the drains, Honda would say it was a modification that voids the warentee.
But if it rusted on a fender that has nothing to do with the roof, they would have no claim.
Same with mechanical parts.
They have to show that the modification affected the part or system that failed.
Sunroofs don't affect much in that way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just telling you what the salesman said. He stated the sunroof voids the entire 3 year/36000 mile warranty because it alters the structural integrity of the vehicle. These are his words not mine, sounds like bs but a sunroof ain't worth any potential warranty problems.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Remember, The Dealer is not "Honda"

Your warrenty is from Honda Cars of America.
Call them for an answer.
Also check with the statatory warrenty requirments of your state.

If you had a problem with teh structural integrity of the vehicle, I would expect to have Honda question the warrenty repair.
When was the last time you heard of anyone haveing a structural failure in a car?

P.S., I am not trying to argue with you. Just pointing out the flaws in what you were told, should you realy want a sunroof (like my wife does)

·
Registered
486 Posts
I called American Honda direct on this. No, a sunroof or any other aftermarket item installed by the owner does not void the warranty, UNLESS, what was done directly affected the warranty claim.
In regards to a sunroof, there are a few things to be aware of:
-Possible electrical problems if they botch the switch installation. Not likely.
- Clogged drain holes could result in leaking and ultimately rust.
- Headliner problems
- Roof sheetmetal dimpling or paint problems around the frame.

I'm doing the Webasto, with no apprehension. These guys have been hacking sunroofs in everything from Hondas to Mercedes for decades. I have no concerns.

Honda never recommends aftermarket anything because they can't assume any liability for recommending something they didn't engineer or manufacture. They're a conservative car company but they still use common sense, as should we.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts