Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Sulfur smell...normal?

11K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  MauiDoug 
#1 ·
Okay, i've owned her for over 6,000 miles now, and I've noticed quite often that she stinks like sulfur. I know this is normal catalytic converter stink, but it seems my Pilot REALLY stinks, almost like there's a leak, because it has overwhelmed me a few times inside the cabin. I tried to blame it on other junky cars around me, but it happens when I'm alone too. Hmm. I stink. HELLLLLLLLLP! Is there a way to test emissions for an exhaust issue like this? What could it be? Jeez, maybe it's normal? It isn't everyday, but the amount I smell seems abnormal. Someone in a parking lot after I got out even said PEEYOO! WHAT STINKS?! Dang, it was my Pilot. Anyone else- or should I have her looked at? I apologize for wasting your time if this is normal. I just don't know what a normal amount is.

#3 ·
REALLY?!

Usually costco or safeway since the gas price hike. Could this be it? I used to only pump Texaco until their prices in particular were at least 20-30 cents MORE per gallon than other stations in town. Just taking advantage, so I got pissed and boycotted them.

I should test this out. I never thought of that, but it makes sense...don't eat onions and garlic kind of thing. So some fuel can give our cars "gas"? Do you know what brand is best?

Thanks for your quick response by the way, N_Jay. :29:

How's the job search, BTW? Any luck? I'm heading back to work next week. I'll miss you guys!

#4 ·
Re: REALLY?!

74PILOTMOM said:
Usually costco or safeway since the gas price hike. Could this be it? I used to only pump Texaco until their prices in particular were at least 20-30 cents MORE per gallon than other stations in town. Just taking advantage, so I got pissed and boycotted them.

I should test this out. I never thought of that, but it makes sense...don't eat onions and garlic kind of thing. So some fuel can give our cars "gas"? Do you know what brand is best?

Thanks for your quick response by the way, N_Jay. :29:

How's the job search, BTW? Any luck? I'm heading back to work next week. I'll miss you guys!
May be just something to try. Some gas is worse than other.
How has your milage been?

#5 ·
I'd think it was the gas, not the vehicle.

#6 ·
I don't think it's your gas. I've been using a variety of different gas, including Costco and Safeway and never get that sulfur smell. Even fully loaded going over a mountain pass, I still don't smell it. I've even asked a friend following me over the mountains and he said no suflur smell.

I suspect it's your catalytic converter that needs to be replaced. I had an 86 honda smell all the time, until they replaced the converter. I also had a Geo Metro do that too. Both times you could smell that sulfur smell even under light engine loads. They also rattled at specific RPM's. Although, I think it was the rattling that convinced them to replace the catalytic converters more than the smell.

It's probably worth having your dealer look at it the next time you have it in.

-Pete

#8 ·
Sulfur smell

Over at another forum where they provide "True Cost to Own", look at the Toyota 4Runner discussions. Seems like the new 4Runner is experiencing some problems with sulfur smell as well. Some point to a vent located in close proximity to the exhaust pipe as the possible culprit. They say if you're smelling sulfur, then you are also probably inhaling carbon monoxide as well.

Maybe over-reacting, but some see it as a serious problem.

#9 ·
Thanks guys, I'm going to have her taken in- having 3 little kids in the car with me, I'm not taking any risks with carbonmonoxide. It seems like this should have happened a lot later if at all. Odd.

N_Jay- my mileage has stayed between 16-18mpg in combined driving, but i've experienced this from the beginning. Maybe a new catalytic converter will = better gas mileage while I'm at it.

#10 ·
74PILOTMOM said:
It isn't everyday, but the amount I smell seems abnormal. Someone in a parking lot after I got out even said PEEYOO! WHAT STINKS?! Dang, it was my Pilot. Anyone else- or should I have her looked at? I apologize for wasting your time if this is normal. I just don't know what a normal amount is.
I notice a somewhat pungent smell sometimes when I pull into the garage. It doesn't last long. I've never smelled it anywhere else.

#11 ·
Re: REALLY?!

74PILOTMOM said:

I hope your not abandoning us completely? :(

#13 ·
Re: Re: Sulfur smell...normal?

florida_guy said:
I notice a somewhat pungent smell sometimes when I pull into the garage. It doesn't last long. I've never smelled it anywhere else.
Hey Florida_guy-
I notice this smell in my garage too once in a while, but is it very faint. When I smell it on the road, it's usually at highway speeds, or if I've just accelerated hard. Do you have to accelerate up into a garage or anything? My garage is up on a hill, I wonder if this makes it more obvious?
Oh, btw I'm not leaving completely, but life's about to get crazy around here, returning to my old. So I won't have as much time to check the boards.

#15 ·
woops. Meant to type "job".
Yep, back to the Gap. Women's Merchandiser...Was hoping to get back into baby gap, but they need me elsewhere. Bummer. But now I can get you all some good discounts for gaponline during friends and family days. Just be nice to me. ;)

#16 ·
Re: Re: Re: Sulfur smell...normal?

74PILOTMOM said:
Hey Florida_guy-
I notice this smell in my garage too once in a while, but is it very faint. When I smell it on the road, it's usually at highway speeds, or if I've just accelerated hard. Do you have to accelerate up into a garage or anything? My garage is up on a hill, I wonder if this makes it more obvious?
Oh, btw I'm not leaving completely, but life's about to get crazy around here, returning to my old. So I won't have as much time to check the boards.
No big hill on my driveway. I smell it just as I come to a stop in my garage and not all the time.

Glad to hear you'll still be hanging around! I know all about to hectic to get on as much as I'd like.

#18 ·
I haven't noticed even a whiff since! My gas mileage has recently improved, and I'm using the same gas. If it isn't consistant, I guess there's no real reason to worry?
I'm going to ask about it when I do my recall work. I'm sure they'll do nothing, but at least I'll go on record about it. I'll report back if there's anything interesting.

#19 ·
I thought this was common on today's cars? I smell it on just about every car in front of me, or even walking by their exhaust pipe when the car is on....my Pilot and my GP included. I've really seemed to notice it worse on Nissans....even new ones. And seriously -- a catalytic converter going bad at 6000 miles?? If that's the case they must be getting these parts from like Mongolia or something... :8:

74PILOTMOM, let me warn you now....don't be surprised if the dealer says "it's just normal". :rolleyes:

But really, let us know what they say.

#20 ·
int. cabin exhaust smell at 70mph

Was wondering whether anyone has noticed a faint exhaust smell inside the Pilot when accelerating to 65-75mph [I live in Arizona] I usually have the recirc vents on. The smell is not noticeable/present at any other speeds or when cruising on the highway at 65+.

Tx!

#21 ·
same problem

american honda recently did some emission testing on my pilot & they haven't revealed the results yet. i'll keep you posted. i've been complaining about this for months. seems to happen going up hill on the interstate at speeds 60mph & up. the dealership did some fog testing on it to see if it was pulling in exhaust for the outside, but could not find anything. glad to hear someone else can smell it too.

the district service mgr came in & drove w/me. he smelled it along w/3 other dealership service guys. american honda & the local dealership all acted as if i was the 1st to complain about this.

are there anymore owners with this problem??? let me know. thanks.

#23 ·
Hey Kemo...

I SMELL a merge of threads here, with my Sulfur exhaust thread...

Yes, I smell it too, but haven't recently. And it's STRONG, not just the occasional junky car ahead of you stink, it's us. I've even smelled it at low speeds, but the highway acceleration prompted the Pilot stench a few times.
I forgot to mention it on my last visit to the dealership. It is a dangerous issue- carbon monoxide filling the cabin. There should be a recall. We all just need to report it to get their attention.

#24 ·
The carbon monoxide is to keep you woozie so that you won't care about the rattles, skrunching, poor AM reception, blotchy paint, or saggy leather seats. Also, you won't be able to concentrate on whether you should change your oil at 3500 or 7500 miles, add grease fittings, use 5w20 or 5w30, or what window tint percentage you should use.

All in all, the carbon monoxide is a special bonus feature provided by Honda as a stress reducer and problem solver.

What was the issue again???

:2: :2: :2: :2:

#26 ·
Re: Re: Hey Kemo...

kemosabe said:
You got it, 74PILOTMOM -- the nose knows!!!

Hey, kemo, :whip: you stole my line from yesterday on the "Show us your pet" thread!!! ;)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.