Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EX, 255k miles
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heyo. I've visited this amazing forum a few times to find solutions to my problems, now it's time to post.
(Adding things as I'm reminded of them)

I'm the proud and happy 3rd owner of an unstoppable '04 Pilot LX with 254k miles. I can say I've become a Honda loyalist over the last 3 years, to accompany my Ford loyalty. I've recently started buckling down and doing my own service/maintenance, which I've shamefully been neglecting. I'm gonna run through things I've replaced within the last year and things I've ordered that I'll be installing soon. I'm not vehicle savvy by any means, so forgive my lack of lingo and mechanical knowledge if it pops up in conversation or the original post. Before I get started, I'd like to touch on what got me to the point of catching up and doing my own work.
In roughly September or October, my area in NW Minnesota got blasted with some serious flash flooding. My girlfriend's buddy decided she needed to take her sick niece home from school so we let her use the Pilot. After dropping the kid off, I can only assume she panicked in the running board deep water and flooded my boo. My friend towed it home where, upon removing the engine cover, we found water sitting on top of the block. We pulled the front plugs and blew water, pulled the rears and blew water, pulled the 100% soaked air filter so it could get some oxygen. After replacing the plugs I was able to turn the engine and dump what seemed like a couple gallons of water out of the exhaust (gluggagluggaglugluglug). Now:

Things I've replaced within a year:
• Spark plugs
• Air filter
• Front control arms, stabilizers, inner and outer tie rod ends
• Both CV axles (assuming there's only fronts)
• Front brake pads
• Battery ~ October/November
• Front passenger wheel bearing last weekend
• Cabin air filter last weekend
° Transmission was rebuilt 10/3/2012 at 134,844 miles. Extensive list of labor included. $3,554 with a footnote reading "DO NOT TOW WITH VEHICLE!!"

Could not find paperwork on timing belt, water pump, tensioner etc. Will address soon.

Things I've ordered that will be in the Pilot within a month:
• Rear HVAC Blower Motor
• Honda PCV valve
• Genuine Honda (always) rear diff, PS and trans fluid
• Honda PS o rings (PS is currently very tight and noisy, the sub zero temperatures don't help, feels like I'm driving a model T) Snapped the belt last winter and put a new pump in then
• OEM PS reservoir (old one has holes in the screen)
I have a brand new PS pump in case the other slightly less brand new pump is shot.

With all that said, are there any other things I should go ahead and replace? I've recently put in oil and a filter with a new filter on standby for when I change it again soon, as I know it's still contaminated. Water was in all fluids (minus brakes) and oil, I had the Trans flushed (frowned upon but necessary) in October but it needs a drain and fill again. For a while after getting it running in October/November it was not wanting to start and I nearly bought a starter. I got fed up with it and would keep the key very close to ignition and just keep shaking the key to make the starter click, it would start after a couple minutes of doing that. Got it in a heated garage eventually and it's been starting fine ever since. Any explanation as to why that was happening and why it's fine now? Should I replace the starter to be safe?

Sorry for the long post my dudes and dudettes, I appreciate any replies, advice or criticisms.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Heyo. I've visited this amazing forum a few times to find solutions to my problems, now it's time to post.

I'm the proud and happy 3rd owner of an unstoppable '04 Pilot LX with 254k miles. I can say I've become a Honda loyalist over the last 3 years, to accompany my Ford loyalty. I've recently started buckling down and doing my own service/maintenance, which I've shamefully been neglecting. I'm gonna run through things I've replaced within the last year and things I've ordered that I'll be installing soon. I'm not vehicle savvy by any means, so forgive my lack of lingo and mechanical knowledge if it pops up in conversation or the original post. Before I get started, I'd like to touch on what got me to the point of catching up and doing my own work.
In roughly September or October, my area in NW Minnesota got blasted with some serious flash flooding. My girlfriend's buddy decided she needed to take her sick niece home from school so we let her use the Pilot. After dropping the kid off, I can only assume she panicked in the running board deep water and flooded my boo. My friend towed it home where, upon removing the engine cover, we found water sitting on top of the block. We pulled the front plugs and blew water, pulled the rears and blew water, pulled the 100% soaked air filter so it could get some oxygen. After replacing the plugs I was able to turn the engine and dump what seemed like a couple gallons of water out of the exhaust (gluggagluggaglugluglug). Now:

Things I've replaced within a year:
• Spark plugs
• Air filter
• Front control arms, stabilizers, inner and outer tie rod ends
• Both CV axles (assuming there's only fronts)
• Front brake pads

Things I've ordered that will be in the Pilot within a month:
• Rear HVAC Blower Motor
• Honda PCV valve
• Genuine Honda (always) rear diff, PS and trans fluid
• Honda PS o rings (PS is currently very tight and noisy, the sub zero temperatures don't help, feels like I'm driving a model T) Snapped the belt last winter and put a new pump in then
• OEM PS reservoir (old one has holes in the screen)
I have a brand new PS pump in case the other slightly less brand new pump is shot.

With all that said, are there any other things I should go ahead and replace? I've recently put in oil and a filter with a new filter on standby for when I change it again soon, as I know it's still contaminated. Water was in all fluids (minus brakes) and oil, I had the Trans flushed (frowned upon but necessary) in October but it needs a drain and fill again. For a while after getting it running in October/November it was not wanting to start and I nearly bought a starter. I got fed up with it and would keep the key very close to ignition and just keep shaking the key to make the starter click, it would start after a couple minutes of doing that. Got it in a heated garage eventually and it's been starting fine ever since. Any explanation as to why that was happening and why it's fine now? Should I replace the starter to be safe?

Sorry for the long post my dudes and dudettes, I appreciate any replies, advice or criticisms.
Enjoyed reading your post. Have you got a scan tool? Is the engine light on? Are there any engine codes? Test your battery and alternator before you replace your starter. Those low temps can be really hard on a battery.
Has the timing belt and water pump been replaced? When a new water pump is installed, it's a good time to dump old antifreeze and flush with distilled water and add new coolant.
On a vehicle that old, I would replace the brake fluid. Is your braking smooth? Old brake rotors tend to become warped with age. Inspect your brake calipers. They can become stuck or seep fluid. Again age becomes a factor and these may need to be rebuilt or replaced.
Any oil leaks?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Do you know when the timing belt was last changed?
Not a clue, I can dig through the nearly 2 inches of service records soon and get back to you.

Enjoyed reading your post. Have you got a scan tool? Is the engine light on? Are there any engine codes? You need to test your battery and alternator before you replace your starter. Those low temps can be really hard on a battery.
Has the timing belt and water pump been replaced? When a new water pump is installed, it's a good time to dump old antifreeze and flush with distilled water and add new coolant.
On a vehicle that old, I would replace the brake fluid. Is your braking smooth? Old brake rotors tend to become warped with age.
No scan tool and no warning lights. Forgot to mention I replaced the battery around Oct/Nov, I'll try to edit. Braking seems fine to me. I'm not sure if the Belt/Water pump have been changed. I know the Trans was replaced or rebuilt not long before I got it.
Also forgot to mention I changed the front passenger wheel bearing, will add that too.

I haven't noticed any leaks other than from the Power Steering, but the bay* isn't clean enough for me to tell either. I'd like to spray everything down with degreaser and blast it all away but I don't want to screw something up.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Not a clue, I can dig through the belt 2 inches of service records soon and get back to you.

No scan tool and no warning lights. Forgot to mention I replaced the battery around Oct/Nov, I'll try to edit. Braking seems fine to me. I'm not sure if the Belt/Water pump have been changed. I know the Trans was replaced or rebuilt not long before I got it.
Also forgot to mention I changed the front passenger wheel bearing, will add that too.
I added more to my first comment to you.
To do your own maintenance a good scan tool is needed. Most Auto parts stores will test your battery and alternator for free.
If you can not find out when your timing belt and water pump were replaced, you will definitely want to put that in your list to do. If needed, I recommend an Aisin timing belt water pump kit. It comes with a new tensioner and bearings.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It sounds like it got pretty wet. If it starts ok now I would not worry about the starter. I would definitely try to figure out if the timing belt has been changed. The recommended interval is around 100,000 miles and it is risky to not try and follow that recommendation. If you can’t find where it has been changed it would be my #1 thing along with tensioner and water pump.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,947 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear the Pilot survived its wet adventure. The posts above cover just about everything I can think of. The one item I would add to the list is cabin air filter. And changing the tranny filter unless you know it was replaced when the tranny was swapped.

And if you’re going to be doing lots of diagnostic work a scan tool which deciphers Honda specific codes will be invaluable.

This is where I order OEM parts:

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I haven't noticed any leaks other than from the Power Steering, but the bay* isn't clean enough for me to tell either. I'd like to spray everything down with degreaser and blast it all away but I don't want to screw something up.
I mention oil leaks because with age, it is common for these V6s to begin leaking oil from around the valve cover gaskets. The Variable Valve Timing (VVT) gaskets can begin leaking slowing. If these are not replaced at the first sign of leaking, they can eventually become a major oil loss event causing you to loose oil preasure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found a tranny rebuild from 10/3/2012
Nothing for timing, water pump, tensioner etc

Both added to original post.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts