Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Swapped in the pcv from my 2005 pilot which seemed like the better of the two I replaced. Will monitor over the next couple thousand miles to see if that make any difference.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello - my 2008 pilot (182,000 miles) was not using any oil between changes. Maybe 1/4 quart at most. After my last oil change; 1,000 miles in and it's already a quart low. Definitely no leaks. Not a drop on the garage floor. It is still running great with no noticeable change, and no codes set. Would valve guide seals be the most likely cause of sudden oil consumption?

At 170k miles it had timing belt, pcv, and valve adjustment done.

Thank You!
If there are no drips you are probably losing it by burning. Try putting some ATF AT205 in the oil. This rejuvenates all the rubber seals including the valve guide seals. Check you PVC isn’t clogged. Good luck.

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
127 Posts
Hello - my 2008 pilot (182,000 miles) was not using any oil between changes. Maybe 1/4 quart at most. After my last oil change; 1,000 miles in and it's already a quart low. Definitely no leaks. Not a drop on the garage floor. It is still running great with no noticeable change, and no codes set. Would valve guide seals be the most likely cause of sudden oil consumption?

At 170k miles it had timing belt, pcv, and valve adjustment done.

Thank You!
I suspect a bad pcv valve. The pcv's job is to vent the crankcase when pressure builds from blow by. The pcv valve then opens and vents crankcase vapors into the intake manifold where it is burned. Pressure drops and the valve should close.

These valves are especially prone to clogging on honda v6's as they are installed horizontally in the left (driver) end of the front head. They should be replaced every 30-60k miles, but often never are.

Pretty sure yours has stuck open and so you are vacuuming oil out of your crankcase all of the time. Bet the engine has lost power and fuel mileage too as this behaves like a big vacuum leak.

Azyrobuf

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I suspect a bad pcv valve. The pcv's job is to vent the crankcase when pressure builds from blow by. The pcv valve then opens and vents crankcase vapors into the intake manifold where it is burned. Pressure drops and the valve should close.

These valves are especially prone to clogging on honda v6's as they are installed horizontally in the left (driver) end of the front head. They should be replaced every 30-60k miles, but often never are.

Pretty sure yours has stuck open and so you are vacuuming oil out of your crankcase all of the time. Bet the engine has lost power and fuel mileage too as this behaves like a big vacuum leak.

Azyrobuf
Mine has < 15k miles on it, however I did put in the one from my 2005 (which isn't burning a drop at 245k miles) and put the old one back in the 2005 for now. Will take a while to see if it makes a difference. Don't put on that many miles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
If there are no drips you are probably losing it by burning. Try putting some ATF AT205 in the oil. This rejuvenates all the rubber seals including the valve guide seals. Check you PVC isn’t clogged. Good luck.
I agree. It's almost impossible to be leaking this much without at least a few drops hitting the floor when parked. It's parked on concrete with epoxy. Even one drop is noticeable.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts
Try putting some ATF AT205 in the oil.
Personally, I would NOT put ATF in my engine oil.

I can settle this. :) Blessed are the peacemakers.

Personally, I would not put ATF in my engine oil, either.

However, I would and I have put ATP AT-205 in there, it works, and I recommend it.

But I do also very much recommend changing the PCV valve. Just be careful when you do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I added one quart of make up oil tonight at 1,100 since last oil change. The oil is much darker than I'd like to see with that few miles on it. Will see in the next couple weeks if the pcv swap made a difference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It it worth pulling the spark plugs out to check the condition? I also replaced them with all the other stuff at 170k.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts
It it worth pulling the spark plugs out to check the condition? I also replaced them with all the other stuff at 170k.
I would. They have been known to back out if not periodically retorqued to spec.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts