Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - my 2008 pilot (182,000 miles) was not using any oil between changes. Maybe 1/4 quart at most. After my last oil change; 1,000 miles in and it's already a quart low. Definitely no leaks. Not a drop on the garage floor. It is still running great with no noticeable change, and no codes set. Would valve guide seals be the most likely cause of sudden oil consumption?

At 170k miles it had timing belt, pcv, and valve adjustment done.

Thank You!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts
Yeah, just throwing it out there: Did you forget to prefill your oil filter? Some folks do and some folks don't, but that could factor in.

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
Is 2nd or AWD?
Is the check engine light on?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, just throwing it out there: Did you forget to prefill your oil filter? Some folks do and some folks don't, but that could factor in.
Nope. It showed right at the full mark after the first time running it last oil change. It's been noticeably dropping each time I fill up the fuel since.

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
AWD, and no light or codes.
That’s good. No VCM.
Would you happen to be using an Extended Performance oil? I experienced oil loss, having to top off more often between oil changes.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That’s good. No VCM.
Would you happen to be using an Extended Performance oil? I experienced oil loss, having to top off more often between oil changes.
No, using a 5w30 full synthetic. I have been using this one since I got a bunch of it for $2/qt.

My 2005 pilot uses no oil at all between changes with it. I change oil every 4k miles.

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
That’s a great price. I got nothing bad to say about Quaker State, but that is the wrong weight. I’d go back to 5w-20 and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (J35A9)
155 Posts
My 07 has always burned oil (I've owned since new). I tried various brands and even used 5w30 for a spell, to no affect. I'm not consuming 1 quart per 1000 miles though, I'm at more like 1/4 quart per 1000 miles.

My first thoughts for you would be the PCV. It's possible the one installed 12K miles ago is faulty.

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
I noticed sluggish engine performance when using heavier oil. Less fuel economy. Your engine is working harder.

Reactions: Chukmak

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot 2WD
76 Posts
I have a similar problem with oil consumption. I have 356,000 + miles on my pilot. I just came back from a 2000 mile trip and used 4 quarts of oil. I took it to the top of Pike's Peak and all over. I have a drop or two of oil on the driveway when I park it. I occasionally smell burnt oil on the exhaust. Looking underneath the engine at the oilpan, it shows oil leaking down from the crankshaft and the cross member is oily. I am not seeing smoke out of the exhaust like I would with a typical oil burner. Engine runs fine. My theory is that it is being blown out of the front seal primarily while driving.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a similar problem with oil consumption. I have 356,000 + miles on my pilot. I just came back from a 2000 mile trip and used 4 quarts of oil. I took it to the top of Pike's Peak and all over. I have a drop or two of oil on the driveway when I park it. I occasionally smell burnt oil on the exhaust. Looking underneath the engine at the oilpan, it shows oil leaking down from the crankshaft and the cross member is oily. I am not seeing smoke out of the exhaust like I would with a typical oil burner. Engine runs fine. My theory is that it is being blown out of the front seal primarily while driving.
I thought I had an oil pan leak but it turned out to be the filter/seal for the spool valve where the oil filter/spool valve mount to the engine block.

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
If oil gets on the timing belt it can break. Cam and front crankshaft seal should be replaced at least once in a vehicles life, twice would be better.
Oil pan and oil pump reseal is needed. The oil hole gasket is likely toast.
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Wood

As mentioned, the spool valve gaskets (oil filter housing).
Replace valve cover gaskets, grommets and spark plug tube seals.
Cam thrust cover gaskets.
Rear main seal.
Then you'd know how much oil it's burning.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Definitely no leaks. Not a drop on the garage floor.
Get it on a lift, use a light and physically inspect. No oil on the floor definitely doesn't = no leaks.

However, IF it is running great and IF it's truly burning that much oil, then I would suspect the cylinder rings are toast. You won't see much change in performance with bad rings until there's a catastrophic failure and then you're going to have a breakdown and major issue.

My experience with other imports with bad rings is exactly as you describe, and on my wife's Subie there was also virtually no smoke in the exhaust at idle or low speed. Most imports will also exhibit various performance issues (hesitation at start up, loss of power at high speed, etc) if the oil loss is caused by bad valves, PCV or an evap system component.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,369 Posts
Check the condition of your PCV....and associated plumbing. If blocked (as happened to a Volvo we had) oil consumption rapidly increases with no obvious cause.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Check the condition of your PCV....and associated plumbing. If blocked (as happened to a Volvo we had) oil consumption rapidly increases with no obvious cause.
Rocky - did you notice other problems (rough idle, decreased gas mileage, etc.) with the bad PCV? I've owned a lot of different imports and never experienced a bad PCV only causing increased oil consumption, I always had an irregular idle or decreased MPG (one time almost 10 mpg) that made me investigate further.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,369 Posts
The car was rarely driven very far. I rarely ever drove it and wife never tracked mpg.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts