Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Turing AWD with about 55K miles.

On a road trip away from home while the wife was driving and I was half asleep, we got a cluster of emissions, AWD and transmissions failure messages.

Car shifted a "little funny" but then seemed to be OK. No indication of any overheating. Stopped and parked it. Turned it off and back on. AWD and transmission failures went away, but emissions message remained. Opened the hood, and walked around the car. No smells, smoke or any other indications.

Continued on about 30 miles to destination. Checked in to motel. When I got back in it to park, emissions failure indication had disappeared.

Very strange to see three failures at one time. Wouldn't think the emissions systems has much to do with the AWD and transmission.

Read somewhere that 87 octane fuel can cause problems with the emissions system. I had filled it with Exxon 87 octane about 100 miles back. I'm of the opinion that modern engines are so smart that they should be able to adapt to most any reasonable gasoline.

Fill it with hi test and continue trip tomorrow.

Anybody else out there have a similar experience?

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
2016 Turing AWD with about 55K miles.

On a road trip away from home while the wife was driving and I was half asleep, we got a cluster of emissions, AWD and transmissions failure messages.

Car shifted a "little funny" but then seemed to be OK. No indication of any overheating. Stopped and parked it. Turned it off and back on. AWD and transmission failures went away, but emissions message remained. Opened the hood, and walked around the car. No smells, smoke or any other indications.

Continued on about 30 miles to destination. Checked in to motel. When I got back in it to park, emissions failure indication had disappeared.

Very strange to see three failures at one time. Wouldn't think the emissions systems has much to do with the AWD and transmission.

Read somewhere that 87 octane fuel can cause problems with the emissions system. I had filled it with Exxon 87 octane about 100 miles back. I'm of the opinion that modern engines are so smart that they should be able to adapt to most any reasonable gasoline.

Fill it with hi test and continue trip tomorrow.

Anybody else out there have a similar experience?
Keep using a Top Tier 87 octane fuel. These non turbo engines do not benefit with the higher octane, but they do need the additives.
I would not let someone tell you that you have a major problem just yet. These ocurances are likely due to a loose battery cable or possibly your start button going bad. I'm sure by now that you have replaced you original battery. There are issues where the battery box lid does not allow the battery terminals to be pressed down far enough to tighten fully. Especially the positive cable. If you find loose terminal(s) there are battery post shims some have used. If your out of warranty, I would not let anyone sell me anything major for this glitch.
Unrelated, how is your transmission performing? Are you seeing a erratic behaving rpm gauge while in cruise? Let's us know if so. This needs to be corrected to prevent further damage.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
640 Posts
My son's Kia was having a lot small electrical issues. it's 10 years old, battery 1 year. The negative cable was fully corroded. The bolt to body from battery was rusted and snapped trying to get it out. Drilled/tapped one size up, new size bolt AND sanded the paint off where it bolts. I use KOPR SHIELD when I put back together to protect the metal and makes better contact. All his issues seem to have disappeared most noticeable the now NON flickering lights.

Many dealer mechanics I know do this also as an early step if issues. I did the Pilot yesterday while installing tranny cooler. Behind the cable/body lug was dirty/discolored. The paint insulates from contacting good so all you have is where the bolt threads cut the paint and make contact. The new cars are so sensitive to electrical and only one bolt / contact is responsible for the whole vehicle.

I don't know on the other years of this or models. My '19 EXL has a full battery box, gaskets on lid and around terminal openings,gasketed lower air intake and a power fan to vent the box. Not sure why all that. I do know that in 18 months and 20k the bottom of battery box had a lot of sand in it that came through the air intake for it.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
My son's Kia was having a lot small electrical issues. it's 10 years old, battery 1 year. The negative cable was fully corroded. The bolt to body from battery was rusted and snapped trying to get it out. Drilled/tapped one size up, new size bolt AND sanded the paint off where it bolts. I use KOPR SHIELD when I put back together to protect the metal and makes better contact. All his issues seem to have disappeared most noticeable the now NON flickering lights.

Many dealer mechanics I know do this also as an early step if issues. I did the Pilot yesterday while installing tranny cooler. Behind the cable/body lug was dirty/discolored. The paint insulates from contacting good so all you have is where the bolt threads cut the paint and make contact. The new cars are so sensitive to electrical and only one bolt / contact is responsible for the whole vehicle.

I don't know on the other years of this or models. My '19 EXL has a full battery box, gaskets on lid and around terminal openings,gasketed lower air intake and a power fan to vent the box. Not sure why all that. I do know that in 18 months and 20k the bottom of battery box had a lot of sand in it that came through the air intake for it.
Is KOPR SHIELD dielectric grease?

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
640 Posts
Is KOPR SHIELD dielectric grease?
More like an anti-sieze paste type as mentioned but made for Electrical. Seals out water like grease, fills voids to make better contact points. changes the color of your Nail Grease and makes everything copper colored it touches like anti-sieze...you know the "where the fudge" did i touch that stuff, stuff.

Click the link to Amazon and magnify/read the third picture for more details.

I use Dielectric inside spark plug / coil pack so it slides off easier and seals out water and on most exterior bulbs etc. I use Kopr Shield on all ground points and small amount on most of my exterior wire crimp connections.

I also have/use copper neverseizefor bolts that the containers look similar but have different consistency and amount of copper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts