Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there’s already a post like this forgive me but I haven’t been able to find it. I have a 2016 Honda pilot EXL and I’m interested to know if replacing/upgrading the subwoofer is a do it yourself job that a person of little experience could tackle by following directions or if it’s better left to the pros. I’m also interested on recommendations for an easy upgrade swap out subwoofer model. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Here is a link to the "Audio" category for the Pilot forums. It covers the 3rd generation and also previous generations of the Honda Pilot so you will have to sort through it.

Audio Forum Honda Pilot

Here's one search result I found looking for "audio upgrade" using the Search Community box up top. I selected only this forum, 3rd Generation Pilots. I know there have been some fantastic posts with pictures showing some upgrades, hopefully this link gets you started in the right direction.

Audio Upgrade

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hope it helps you and WELCOME to the club!!!!

You can also check the Passport, Ridgeline, and Odyssey forums since they share many of the same systems and parts as the Honda Pilot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If there’s already a post like this forgive me but I haven’t been able to find it. I have a 2016 Honda pilot EXL and I’m interested to know if replacing/upgrading the subwoofer is a do it yourself job that a person of little experience could tackle by following directions or if it’s better left to the pros. I’m also interested on recommendations for an easy upgrade swap out subwoofer model. Thanks for your help!
Keep the stock subwoofer functional, and disable Active Noise Cancellation ANC. Then grab yourself a kicker hideaway and place it under the passenger seat, run the power wire to the battery and ground to chassis, then Tap front speaker for signal. 1 hour job assuming you have some wiring skill and know how to pop some panels. I’ll attach a wiring diagram. Use that to determine the color of the wires to tap into.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Keep the stock subwoofer functional, and disable Active Noise Cancellation ANC. Then grab yourself a kicker hideaway and place it under the passenger seat, run the power wire to the battery and ground to chassis, then Tap front speaker for signal. 1 hour job assuming you have some wiring skill and know how to pop some panels. I’ll attach a wiring diagram. Use that to determine the color of the wires to tap into.
This is so helpful, but it also makes me want to ask a ton of questions:
  • Why keep the existing sub?
  • Is there a way to add a sub without disabling ANC? (Either with the existing sub or with the new one)
  • How do I disable ANC?
  • Why tap into the front speaker? Is that ideal, or just easiest?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Keep the existing sub because there is no point in taking it out, you cannot fit another one in there without extensive modifications. Disabling ANC (active noise cancellation) is required or will sound weird, it will use the rear sub to try to cancel the external sub you added thinking that it is road noise. To disable ANC you remove the map light panels, remove the map light covers, then two 10mm bolts and cut the mic wire. For the rear anc you put a piece of heavy duty butyl tape on the mic that is top of the rear seats. You can tap which ever speakers you like, it gets the signal to the amp, then amp to the sub. I did a heavy audio upgrade to my 2016 before I traded it in for a 2020 ex-l which sounds MUCH better from the factory that I didn't upgrade anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts