Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Subwoofer rattle

11K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  sblvro 
#1 ·
I hope I'm not starting a thread that has already been discussed. I did try looking for a similar topic. This is definitely a rattling coming from the subwoofer.

I notice the "rattle" when I was listening to music that had a deep bass. It definitely sounded like something was vibrating very hard during those heavy bass moments.

So I turned on the music and started hunting. I knew it was coming from the subwoofer area. I discovered that it was the plastic mesh covering the subwoofer compartment that was vibrating (see attached pic). It feels like it's not very secure and just tapping it reproduces the noise... kind of. If I put my hand on the plastic mesh to absorb the vibration the rattling stops.

I'm not sure what to do. I guess I can figure out a way to stabilize the plastic mesh.

Anybody else experiencing this problem?

-Pj

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
GE Silicone Seal

Wow, it must be nice to have a rattle and be able to find it. Good job. I use GE Silicone sealant a lot to solve rattles such as you have. I buy it in calk tube size, but it is available in a smaller tube at Walmart or Autozone. It comes in clear, black, blue, silver, and I am sure more colors. It costs about $3. Just a "scoutch" on several places on the inside would solve your problem easily. While your at it, buy a small section of auto carpet in a color that matches your interior at either of these places. Cut out sections that will line the inside of your console and other compartments. Glue these sections to the plastic sides of the console with the silicone seal adhesive you just bought. The lining on the inside of these compartments greatly reduces the noise caused by things rolling around. Looks neat to. The odor goes away after a few hours. BPILOT

#3 ·
Or turn the bass down.:2:

#4 ·
Isn't the subwoofer located in the panel just behind the wheel well?

I've noticed the subwoofer can distort rather easily. You can't hear the distortion as much from the drivers seat, but open up the hatch and listen.

I first noticed it when I opened up the back doors and hatch to provide some outdoor music at our favorite wilderness swimming hole. It's not like I was cranking up some major RAP either. Actually it was Dixie Chicks "Fly". Hardly bass booming music!

Once I turned the bass down, it went away. :4:

#6 ·
Just replaced my stock subwoofer with Polk GNX104 subwoofer. Added another 200watt phoenix amp to drive the subwoofer.. I noticed the rattle after the install, even though I have dynamatted the whole right rear section, including the reverse side of the panel.

I finally found the rattle from what you have mentioned, the mesh.. so I use some CLEAR duct tapes, and tape up the inside of the mesh.. you can't see it from outside, so it's fine.. It got rid of the rattle instantly! cheap and effective!

another alternative is to maybe cut out the mesh? so it leave a opening? but it's not reversable..

:)

#7 ·
I've noticed this problem too. So is it as easy as taping up the mesh area?

#9 ·
sblvro - It's a 10" subwoofer!!!

#10 ·
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.