Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to page. I had a question to see if anybody has tried or may have info about key areas.
227,000mi bought/235,000 currently
Been working on it since I purchased nothing too serious.
Recently I added new tires 245/70_16 (learning new fuel curve) to go with my 2in suspension lift "spacers" . I notice when hitting big dips at highway speeds the CV axles make a slight hum.
Since new springs, shocks, control arms+bushings were installed my thoughts are the drive train is at its limit and could use a drop for easement.
I know there is a couple of vendors/manufacturers for 1in, not opposed at all in buying. However, I have lifted everything I ever own and probably make my own kit.
QUESTION: Has anybody ever gone 1.5 or even 2in with subframe drop?
I'm aware to watch for hoses, wiring, and pinch points. Honestly I'm not the biggest fan of the simple sleeve spacers on engine mounts- would address this an actual block spacer. And i know exhaust will have to be dropped , rear shock spacers longer.
Things I'm curious about is steering shaft how much slack it has in sleeve? Radiator hoses are at there max with store bought kit? Brake lines too?
2in drop would be hard gamble but wondering 1.5in is doable.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well update to this post did some looking around getting idea of what's instore and I found this. Picture included :
Car was originally a Indianapolis owner sold at auction north Mississippi near Tennessee.
Looks like I'll be firing up the welder on this project .

Attachments

· Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
1,232 Posts
Check this thread.

You can also find more threads by searching for lift kits.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the heads up, soon CV axles will need to be replaced I know. No tears in boots and surely they have been changed with milage, but at this point it's hard to tell if ever been changed by looks. Good news no knocking of any sorts even when turning . So something to look into on down the road.

· Registered
13,313 Posts
Looks like I'll be firing up the welder on this project .

Attachments
  • Automotive tire Wood Gas Auto part Art

This might help...

Search results for query: rear subframe

Good reading. It can be done, and many have been successful, not just with the TSB method, but with some cleverly executed DIYs.

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just updating the post, no real progress as of yet other than getting parts/materials ordered/gathered for work to come. Definitely going to be a weekend gig. Took a couple of bolts out various areas getting measurements wound up hitting a problem at rear subframe. Much to my disappointment it involved me having to get a better air impact. 😁 the rear subframe bolt I was taking out to measure got seized in and out, nothing I had would move it. Harbor frieght to the rescue.

Some bolts will have to be made...ergo: allthread and flanged nut-welded to make necessary bolt. A few could be bought but others will need to be fabricated. Still worried about steering linkage mostly. Address brake lines as needed. Lower radiator hose should not be a problem. Upper radiator hose will straighten out when dropping, concerned will collapse when dropped. There's a few wiring harness spots to double check as it happens but no reason for alarm.

· Registered
13,313 Posts

· Super Moderator
5,234 Posts
Still worried about steering linkage mostly. Address brake lines as needed. Lower radiator hose should not be a problem. Upper radiator hose will straighten out when dropping, concerned will collapse when dropped
Check out the subframe drop kit from HRG for additional information. He recommends the subframe drop kit for the Pilot or other Hondas when the lift kit exceeds 2" or more. The goal of the subframe drop kit was to keep the CV axle angles closer to stock specs and to address vibration and premature wear of the axles.The steering linkage could become an issue (adjustment is limited) if you use a subframe drop kit more than what HRG has designed but ymmv. After the lift kit+subframe drop kit on my Pilot IIRC the upper radiator hose was a tad short and was replaced with a modified lower hose for additional length.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check out the subframe drop kit from HRG for additional information. He recommends the subframe drop kit for the Pilot or other Hondas when the lift kit exceeds 2" or more. The goal of the subframe drop kit was to keep the CV axle angles closer to stock specs and to address vibration and premature wear of the axles.The steering linkage could become an issue (adjustment is limited) if you use a subframe drop kit more than what HRG has designed but ymmv. After the lift kit+subframe drop kit on my Pilot IIRC the upper radiator hose was a tad short and was replaced with a modified lower hose for additional length.
Good heads up, appreciate it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts