Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Stuck Spare Tire - Hoist Removal - Hoist Replacement

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Nail Grease 
#1 ·
So, got a Honda Pilot with a stuck spare tire, hoist wont lower , tried ... 2008 Honda Pilot spare tire stuck won’t lower – winch...
... without success.

So, ( see picture below )

Spot 1: Can't access these 4 bolts to remove that part of the assembly because the spare-tire is blocking (stuck)

Spot 2: If we remove the bolts on this section (2), will we be able to see the cable wire so that it can be cut ?, near Spot 3.

Spot 4: How thick is this cable wire ?

Auto part Fuel line Wire Electrical wiring

Can one of these inexpensive HD bolt cutters cut this cable ?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
1: batter the handle in the trunk as suggested in the first link
I also sprayed WD40 on the crank-handle thru the Pilot trunk access area.... waited for an hour, and tried again. (sprayed down on crank shaft again.. hoping the WD40 would seep into the cracks and enter the cable tunnel... :O ) >> https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5523/14392205150_228db750c8_b.jpg

2: We don't have an hacksaw handy ATM..... (had planned to do that if other options failed...).

#5 ·
1: batter the handle in the trunk as suggested in the first link
I also sprayed WD40 on the crank-handle thru the Pilot trunk access area.... waited for an hour, and tried again. (sprayed down on crank shaft again.. hoping the WD40 would seep into the cracks and enter the cable tunnel... :O ) >> https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5523/14392205150_228db750c8_b.jpg
If you have a handheld hair dryer, try using it to heat the hoist mechanism, or even just the crank shaft if that's all you can access.

#6 ·
When it happened to me, the cable was just cut off with a blowtorch, but good bolt cutters, an angle grinder with a thin blade or a good dremel tool should probably do the trick. Ordered and installed a new one, part no. 74711-S3V-A02.

2008 Honda Pilot spare tire stuck won’t lower – winch...

#7 ·
I have a 2008 Pilot. The hoist just made a clicking sound. I banged on the top of the hoist stud and underneath the car on the hoist cover. Didn't work. Read about pressing up on the spring under the tire to release pressure and banging on the hoist stud. Didn't work. I let the air out of the spare tire to flatten it. Hammered on the lug nut wrench on top of the hoist stud. THAT WORKED!!! It released the tension. Of course now I have a under inflated spare tire but I can at least remove the spare and add air to it. The hoist seems to be working fine. My hunch is either the spare tire was mounted under the car during the winter and expanded during the summer ....OR..... the knuckleheads at the tire shop used a drill/air gun to raise the tire hoist and over torqued it.

#8 ·
Helmet Toy Font Skyscraper Automotive lighting
Hey everybody, come look. There's a guy here who still thinks he can rely on his OEM first gen loathsome donut spare!

Kidding aside, even good rubber dry rots and after 13 years it may not even still be safe. Do yourself a favor and get a full size spare. I used my least worn tire from my previous set and mounted it on a steelie, but some use a snow tire in summer and vice-versa, and others do the five-tire rotation dance.

And sincerely, nice job whacking your hoist back to life, and welcome to the forum. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.