Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The two top 14mm long bolts that hold the engine mount bracket are sticking in the aluminum block. The one you can see has come to a halt. The one underneath will still turn but getting harder to turn. Afraid to twist off. What would you do?
(3rd bottom bolt came out nice and easy)

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Hope that bolt comes out with some persuasion (heat, tapping, penetrant). One of my bolts snapped in that same mount and I spent a lot of time drilling the bolt out and eventually had to drill larger and insert that special insert. In my case I think the weight of the motor contributed to the problem. Good luck

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hope that bolt comes out with some persuasion (heat, tapping, penetrant). One of my bolts snapped in that same mount and I spent a lot of time drilling the bolt out and eventually had to drill larger and insert that special insert. In my case I think the weight of the motor contributed to the problem. Good luck
Going to try and get some heat on it. Never had this happen.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you try jacking the engine up higher to take the load off the mount?
This is just the bracket that's attached to the block. No weight on it at the moment. I wish it was that simple. 😑

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
My process would be some spray penetrant, work the bolt back in (assuming it will go in easy) and out a couple times to try to distribute, another round of penetrant, some heat and I'd definitely look to put a jack under the engine and see if the weight of the engine is putting load on that bolt.

Edit: Disregard my last statement, you replied while I was typing.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
617 Posts
What would you do?
Interesting problem, in the way that you never want to hear your physician say "hmmm, that's interesting".

I think heat on the head will be an uphill push: there's so much metal that will absorb it, heating the head will heat everything equally. It still might help, I just don't think it will be as effective as a torch on the head of a short bolt.

I would start with a lot of PB Blaster every three hours for at least a day, then wait overnight. If you have time, two days of that might be even better.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My process would be some spray penetrant, work the bolt back in (assuming it will go in easy) and out a couple times to try to distribute, another round of penetrant, some heat
Interesting problem, in the way that you never want to hear your physician say "hmmm, that's interesting".

I think heat on the head will be an uphill push: there's so much metal that will absorb it, heating the head will heat everything equally. It still might help, I just don't think it will be as effective as a torch on the head of a short bolt.

I would start with a lot of PB Blaster every three hours for at least a day, then wait overnight. If you have time, two days of that might be even better.

Good luck.
It's such a long bolt, I don't believe heating the bolt head will work. The bracket is very much in the way to get the heat evenly on the block, and it's not like your actually getting to heat around the threads.
Will let set with penetrant for a while. No rush.
Thanks.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
It's such a long bolt, I don't believe heating the bolt head will work. The bracket is very much in the way to get the heat evenly on the block, and it's not like your actually getting to heat around the threads.
Will let set with penetrant for a while. No rush.
Thanks.
Sounds like a plan! I'd work the bolt back in and out each time too to try and force the penetrant farther into the threads.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like a plan! I'd work the bolt back in and out each time too to try and force the penetrant farther into the threads.
I kept hoping it get easier to turn as it came out but got worse. Haven't tried to go back in with it yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just a thought.....

If you cut the heads off the bolts, do you have the space to slide the mount off?

If so, you'll be a left with a nice, meaty part of the bolt to work with. Might be apply to apply heat real close to the block with the mount out of the way, then work it with a pair of vice grips.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Penetrating oil, tap on it if you can, heat on the casting if you can.

Sometimes after doing the above you can get it to tighten back up a little. Spray with oil again. Then try to loosen it again.

I feel your pain. Just when you think things will be easy something like this happen.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a thought.....

If you cut the heads off the bolts, do you have the space to slide the mount off?

If so, you'll be a left with a nice, meaty part of the bolt to work with. Might be apply to apply heat real close to the block with the mount out of the way, then work it with a pair of vice grips.
Since the bottom bolt is freed, I could probably jack the engine up a bit more to give the bracket room to clear . The top bolt hidden underneath would be difficult to cut without destroying the bracket, but I'd rather do that than have it twist off flush. I haven't got to that point yet. Trying to work the bolts back in with penetrant at the moment. 😬

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PB Blaster FTW!
(No heat)
Both top bolts were a fight all the way. After spraying with PB, wrenched them both all the way back in. Then back out until they wouldn't go no further, sprayed them down again with PB, and back in again. About an hour and a half of pain. What's crazy is the bottom bolt threads look the worst, and it came out with no problems. These bolts are going in the garbage.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
PB Blaster FTW!
(No heat)
Both top bolts were a fight all the way. After spraying with PB, wrenched them both all the way back in. Then back out until they wouldn't go no further, sprayed them down again with PB, and back in again. About an hour and a half of pain. What's crazy is the bottom bolt threads look the worst, and it came out with no problems. These bolts are going in the garbage.
May I recommend OEM bolts and some anti seize for that TX corrosion.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Picked up my new bolts from Honda. I found it interesting that the shorter lower bolt is red coated (anti-sieze compound?) and the 2 longer upper bolts are not.

Reactions: The Todd
1 - 20 of 39 Posts