Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a 2010 pilot EX, milage :89000.
Long story make it short:

1. 2 weeks ago, @dealer I was told the compliance bushings were cracked and the cost of replacement was about $860, I hadn't done that because time concern

2. Today when I was driving in an indoor parking lot, I heard a clunking noise. When I restarting the engine, the noise getting worse when I make turns and bad control and slow response of the brake.

3. The vehicle was towed to dealer, they diagnosed it's a front struts broken, cost of the replacement is $1300+ (of course not including compliance bushing)

Question:
1.Struts could be suddenly broken? Without any accident and hit?

2.The cost of replacement seems higher than what I can find online. (No courtesy car, no coverage for car rental )

3. Seems compliance bushing now is minority, is that the dealer was tried to rip me off every time I bring in my car?

Thanks everyone for your patience ?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Honda major front-end parts are ridiculously expensive. I don't recall seeing anyone posting about a DIY job where they used Honda struts, control arms, bushings, etc. I'm not surprised by the quotes you're getting.

To answer your question about the reliability of the diagosis, have the dealer show you the broken part. The behavior you describe would result from visually obvious damage.

If you're so inclined and have the tools, you can do the job yourself for $600 - $700 in parts in 8 - 10 hours as a novice. You'll still save money vs the dealer by having the car towed to a good independent mechanic and using aftermarket parts. Or get a trade-in number and see if you like that better.

·
Registered
163 Posts
There is a warranty for compliance bushings and you need to find another shop for the struts that is completely ridiculous.

·
Registered
603 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honda major front-end parts are ridiculously expensive. I don't recall seeing anyone posting about a DIY job where they used Honda struts, control arms, bushings, etc. I'm not surprised by the quotes you're getting.

To answer your question about the reliability of the diagosis, have the dealer show you the broken part. The behavior you describe would result from visually obvious damage.

If you're so inclined and have the tools, you can do the job yourself for $600 - $700 in parts in 8 - 10 hours as a novice. You'll still save money vs the dealer by having the car towed to a good independent mechanic and using aftermarket parts. Or get a trade-in number and see if you like that better.
Too bad, I am not a handy person ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a warranty for compliance bushings and you need to find another shop for the struts that is completely ridiculous.
Compliance bushings extension was 7 years or 100k whichever comes first. His are out of warranty.

https://static.oemdtc.com/TSB/A15-045.pdf
The moment it was broken, I thought it's a compliance bushing problem like dealer mentioned but it's not.
I am more concern why they hadn't pickup anything during the maintenance only 2 weeks ago, and suddenly breaking down....I will say it's scary if I was driving on a highway

·
Registered
556 Posts
Have you called Honda USA and asked for goodwill repair assistance. Honda covered 50% of the cost of my front strut replacement a few years ago. Thread is here. Later Honda extended the compliance bushing warranty and I got a check back for that part, my net was half of the struts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you called Honda USA and asked for goodwill repair assistance. Honda covered 50% of the cost of my front strut replacement a few years ago. Thread is here. Later Honda extended the compliance bushing warranty and I got a check back for that part, my net was half of the struts.
Thank you for the info, but my pilot is about 10 yrs, I think honda extend the warrenty to 7 yrs for the compliance bushing, I will definately checking the goodwill assistance...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After the struts replacement, my car seems pulling to left, was the off alignment caused by struts replacement?

Thanks

·
Registered
556 Posts
I think you should get an alignment after replacing the struts. I got one done after the struts and compliance bushing were replaced.

·
Registered
332 Posts
What thefisch said, except "you must". If the shop that did the struts didn't either do the alignment for you, or clearly explain that you needed to have it done, you need a new shop. Check tire pressure, just to be sure, but a competent mechanic would have caught that, too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you should get an alignment after replacing the struts. I got one done after the struts and compliance bushing were replaced.
What thefisch said, except "you must". If the shop that did the struts didn't either do the alignment for you, or clearly explain that you needed to have it done, you need a new shop. Check tire pressure, just to be sure, but a competent mechanic would have caught that, too.
Thank you both, I hadn't got any alignment nor advice from my shop which charged me $450 for labor last time. I definately go for a better shop next time

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One more question, if the Struts were bad, is any symptoms will come out that I could notice that before it totally worn out? Or the technician should notice this via a multi point inspection check just 2 weeks ago?

Instead of hard selling some unnecessary services, they should more focus on their own jobs to make them right!!

Thank again

·
Registered
556 Posts
Mine didn't fail but I could tell they were going from the sounds that came from them and the way they rebounded after a speed bump. But noticing earlier doesn't make the repair less expensive. When they are bad, they are bad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine didn't fail but I could tell they were going from the sounds that came from them and the way they rebounded after a speed bump. But noticing earlier doesn't make the repair less expensive. When they are bad, they are bad.
Well said,

But if I noticed this and understand how bad it was, I'll have it fixed right away, then I won't get scared when it's happened, I did not need to wait a tow truck to come for an hour, I won't miss the time to pick up my children and I did not need to rent a car.
I have the the honda dealer multi point inspection check list in hand from 2 weeks ago, everything from the under vehicle section were all check green, I don't think the struts went bad this fast....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well said,

But if I noticed this and understand how bad it was, I'll have it fixed right away, then I won't get scared when it's happened, I did not need to wait a tow truck to come for an hour, I won't miss the time to pick up my children and I did not need to rent a car.
I have the the honda dealer multi point inspection check list in hand from 2 weeks ago, everything from the under vehicle section were all check green, I don't think the struts went bad this fast....
Here is my 2 cents:

I have a 2011 EX, with 83000 miles that I have recently bought used. I just replaced struts, shocks, stabilizer links, stabilizer bar bushings, and inner and out tie rods. I didn't have a rebound issue with my struts, but when I would stop, the car would lunge downwards, a pretty good amount. The rear was bouncy, but not excessively.

I called the dealer, and they wanted $500/strut, and $250/shock. I found OEM parts online for ~$250/strut, and ~$100/shock, preassembled. I replaced them all myself, with the help of the Honda service manual and youtube.

They are not difficult to do at all, if you go slow and plan ahead. Try to get all questions answered before you start so that nothing pops up during. I did it over the weekend.

I'm nowhere near a car professional, and hate working on cars, but did it to save money.

My guess is the strut can break at any time. There are ways to estimate how bad it is, and you can look these up, including the one I mentioned, when you brake, the car lunges forward (for struts). Also, how does the car recover from bounce.

If you unsure if a vehicle needs an alignment, I believe OEM manuals will typically tell you or hint how to adjust toe/camber/castor, and what parts need adjustment. You can deduce by looking at this if the part you are modifying will require an alignment. I think struts control camber on our Pilots.

Everyone really needs to be thier own advocate when it comes to stuff like this, and keep an eye on things as much and best as you can. But sometimes, you can only do so much and stuff just happens, unfortunately.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Shocks and struts don't usually "die". They usually deteriorate over time. You're correct - its unlikely that yours went from "fine" to "bad" in two weeks. But unless the dealer sent someone out to drive your car as part of the inspection, they wouldn't notice the struts were soft.

More likely, the sudden failure of your struts resulted from prior damage or a defect in the original part. As piloteerpioneer just noted, stuff happens. At 89k, you got your money's worth from the originals. While I completely understand your frustration, I think that the "win" for you in this episode is determining that you need a new mechanic.

·
Registered
830 Posts
You have recently bought a 9 year old Pilot with 90,000 miles. You are having problems with front end noises. You had the struts replaced. That's fine, but be aware that there are other front end parts that could need replacement. I would encourage you to have the sway bar bushings and links replaced, especially if you still have clunking after the strut replacement. You should also have the lower control arms checked out. All these systems work together, and they all tend to wear out together.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is my 2 cents:

I have a 2011 EX, with 83000 miles that I have recently bought used. I just replaced struts, shocks, stabilizer links, stabilizer bar bushings, and inner and out tie rods. I didn't have a rebound issue with my struts, but when I would stop, the car would lunge downwards, a pretty good amount. The rear was bouncy, but not excessively.

I called the dealer, and they wanted $500/strut, and $250/shock. I found OEM parts online for ~$250/strut, and ~$100/shock, preassembled. I replaced them all myself, with the help of the Honda service manual and youtube.

They are not difficult to do at all, if you go slow and plan ahead. Try to get all questions answered before you start so that nothing pops up during. I did it over the weekend.

I'm nowhere near a car professional, and hate working on cars, but did it to save money.

My guess is the strut can break at any time. There are ways to estimate how bad it is, and you can look these up, including the one I mentioned, when you brake, the car lunges forward (for struts). Also, how does the car recover from bounce.

If you unsure if a vehicle needs an alignment, I believe OEM manuals will typically tell you or hint how to adjust toe/camber/castor, and what parts need adjustment. You can deduce by looking at this if the part you are modifying will require an alignment. I think struts control camber on our Pilots.

Everyone really needs to be thier own advocate when it comes to stuff like this, and keep an eye on things as much and best as you can. But sometimes, you can only do so much and stuff just happens, unfortunately.
Thank you so much for your inputs, I'll learn the lesson :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Shocks and struts don't usually "die". They usually deteriorate over time. You're correct - its unlikely that yours went from "fine" to "bad" in two weeks. But unless the dealer sent someone out to drive your car as part of the inspection, they wouldn't notice the struts were soft.

More likely, the sudden failure of your struts resulted from prior damage or a defect in the original part. As piloteerpioneer just noted, stuff happens. At 89k, you got your money's worth from the originals. While I completely understand your frustration, I think that the "win" for you in this episode is determining that you need a new mechanic.
Thank you, I really need a new shop to go!

For the reason I went to dealer for maintenance and repairings was in my area only they can make things done same day in few hrs, this is very important for a parent who needs the car to ride go and back for school....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts