Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
This is just one of many u-tube videos to check out before you get started. Make sure you have a good floor jack, jack stands, chocks and some mechanics tools. Rock Auto 5% off is a good place to order your replacement struts. Recommend loaded struts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
Recommend loaded struts
+1 You'll save yourself a lot of cussin'

You're in luck. Rockauto is running a promo.

And that's in addition to the Piloteers 5% discount.

5% Discount Code: 61F8C3AFDC21E1
Expires: May 12, 2021

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L (Should be an EX-V, 'cuz vinyl, lol)
103 Posts
+1 You'll save yourself a lot of cussin' View attachment 147209

You're in luck. Rockauto is running a promo.

And that's in addition to the Piloteers 5% discount.
I can second this. I just replaced the struts on my wife's Hyundai last night. I truly wish I'd just spent the money on the strut/spring assemblies instead of having to remove the springs and remount them. Loaner tools only get you so far, lol.

Silly me as well, I bought the rear shocks, then later decided to do the front struts as well. Then I noticed the sale RA was running that could have saved me $75. /facepalm

If you're on a tight budget and only want to buy the struts, no springs...make sure you have a very strong set of vice grips to hold the slippery, hard, smooth, godsforsaken center rod near the top nut to loosen said nut. Either that, or one of those special cutaway sockets so you can hold the nut still while turning the rod, or vice-versa. And if you do this the shadetree mechanic way I just described, make DAMN sure you have the spring holders locked down tight and secure on the springs. One of those pops loose while you're screaming in rage at the stupid (&%$$*^% rod that won't stay still so you can get the nut off, and your next of kin may be scraping your brains off the ceiling of your garage later.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L (Should be an EX-V, 'cuz vinyl, lol)
103 Posts
I just watched the video above, and it looks like the nuts on the top of the Pilot struts are not hidden deep in a well, so it's much easier to take apart. Good news for us!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
And if you do this the shadetree mechanic way I just described, make DAMN sure you have the spring holders locked down tight and secure on the springs. One of those pops loose while you're screaming in rage at the stupid (&%$$*^% rod that won't stay still so you can get the nut off, and your next of kin may be scraping your brains off the ceiling of your garage later.
If nothing else, think of who has to walk in on that and clean it up.

Seriously, it usually isn't worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts