Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Pilot Touring AWD/4WD. I replaced the complete strut on both sides with KYB struts about 6 weeks ago. Whenever I would turn left or right, the top end of the struts made a popping sound. I then ordered replacements (assuming they were defective), but the replacements have the same issue. When installing, do you have to orient the top end in a certain direction? Again, these are complete struts, so I didn't rebuild them. I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,937 Posts
@STMech
I have a feeling you might know the answer to this.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I replaced struts on my 2003 with the KYB strut-plus units. The right and left sides are different, and were clearly labelled. I recall that the front top of the upper mounting plate had "front" stamped into it. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that the bolt pattern was slightly offset, so the top mount only bolted up in the proper orientation. In other words, it's hard to install them wrong. If the mounting bolts are torqued correctly, there's not much more to that end of it.

BTW, the struts came from Rock Auto already correctly oriented. I did not twist the assemblies at all before installing them. I am fairly sure that KYB ships them out ready to bolt up. You should not have had to twist the struts around before installing.

Is it possible that you accidentally pulled a driveshaft partially out of the transaxle? It would be easy to do in the process of removing the old strut, and getting the new strut into position. Front axle and CV joint problems can click during a turn.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced struts on my 2003 with the KYB strut-plus units. The right and left sides are different, and were clearly labelled. I recall that the front top of the upper mounting plate had "front" stamped into it. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that the bolt pattern was slightly offset, so the top mount only bolted up in the proper orientation. In other words, it's hard to install them wrong. If the mounting bolts are torqued correctly, there's not much more to that end of it.

BTW, the struts came from Rock Auto already correctly oriented. I did not twist the assemblies at all before installing them. I am fairly sure that KYB ships them out ready to bolt up. You should not have had to twist the struts around before installing.

Is it possible that you accidentally pulled a driveshaft partially out of the transaxle? It would be easy to do in the process of removing the old strut, and getting the new strut into position. Front axle and CV joint problems can click during a turn.
I appreciate the feedback. I definitely have them on the right sides; did double check that. Any idea as to how to check if the driveshaft is partially out?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Jack up the front, remove the wheel, and take a look with a good light. The inner end of the axle seats up tight against the transaxle. If your noise is a clicking in time with the wheel rotation during a turn, then it's likely CV joint. If the noise is not timed with wheel rotation, then it's probably something else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts