Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Thank you all for replying. I did not expect Honda to have some significant issues with the engine and the drive train. I have talked to a few owners and they did mention the same issues a few of you guys mentioned above. I am still planning to look at the Pilot for sale at my local dealership, but reading about certain issues is a deal breaker. It seems like no car company is truly reliable now a days. Even Toyota is having trouble with their Highlanders as I read in the forums. I will keep reading on and hopefully make a final decision some time soon.
If I were making a large investment, I'd buy new with a Honda Care warranty.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I would do the same above if I was in need. Right now I am keeping the old 2011 going for about 2 more years and then I am going to look at the electric market, It will be flooded with vehicles. Our Province has the best charging network in Canada per capita and it's growing fast. Won't need fluid changes anymore and transmissions will no longer be a worry. I'll need to invest in a good soldering iron and learn high voltage diagnostics though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If I were making a large investment, I'd buy new with a Honda Care warranty.
Unfortunately, it's only as good as the dealer who's willing to fight on your behalf even if you're in the right.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Unfortunately, it's only as good as the dealer who's willing to fight on your behalf even if you're in the right.
this is also true. If I was in need I have an "In" at the local Honda, the owner also owns and sells Utility trailers to my work and we do $100M a year with him so I can just say Hey get my car fixed under the warranty will ya. He tried to get me a Pilot when they took my CRV but nothing in my budget came in and after 2 weeks we needed a vehicle and my 2011 came up an hour away. Also a good dealer. The rest of them in the province all suck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Since you asked :devilish:.... like you, it came down to the Highlander or Pilot for us. We bought the Pilot in 2016, which I now regret. Wish we bought the Highlander instead. Bought the Pilot because it had more interior room and the 3rd row seat had more leg room. Wife demanded a vehicle with 3 rows for the grand kids, which they love. Our adult children have used it on a few occasions, and while not comfortable they have not complained. The Highlander was slightly more $, much quieter riding, but the 3rd row seat leg room was terrible. I spent the bucks to sound deaden the Pilot and am extremely happy with that improvement. Unfortunately, last fall my motor mount needed replacing after 65K miles, which I have since learned is probably due to the engine's VCM feature. If you asked me about VCM before that, I'da said VCM who? Now that I understand what VCM is and does, I hate Honda. And unlike others on this forum, I am not a VCM disabler proponent as I resent having to resort to something like that to get the Honda owner satisfaction I mistakenly thought I was buying in the first place. Additionally we bought a CRV in 2018 that has only added to my terrible opinion of Honda as the questionable engineering patterns continue big time with that car ... fuel dilution, excessive battery drain, deliberate factory misalignment of the rear tires for enhanced "drivability". I'm tired of getting solicitations in the mail to join class action lawsuits against Honda (3 now) , "enhanced" warranty extension letters from Honda (4 now) instead of recalls that fix the problem in the first place, and continually educating my local Honda dealer with TSB's in hand that they claim they were unaware of.

Because of all my Honda bellyaching, the wife has grudgingly agreed to shop cars. We looked at both the Ascent and Highlander in recent weeks as she still insists on a 3rd row seat vehicle. I vetoed the Ascent due to the love a fair I discovered online that Ascent owners seem to have installing Cobb Tuning devices on that car to improve engine performance. Stirs up my VCM disabler feelings. Plus Consumer Reports current quality assessment aint good . Unfortunately the current Highlander 3rd row seat leg room is still terrible, and some of the higher end models seem to be plagued by excessive wind noise on the highway (which we experienced in a test drive). So our search for the holy grail of cars goes on.

My suggestion is that you test drive all the vehicles you are interested in so you experience them first hand your self, and pick what is best for you guys. The is no perfect choice these days. Good luck.
Agree. I had two 2006-2007 CRVs and they were excellent cars. Drove them over 225,000 miles each. No issues. I lamented for a year on buying the new CRVs with high compression turbo DI, CVT and oil dilution and could not bring myself to do it. I found a 2013 CRV EXL one owner with 40,000 and bought it, has the same bullet proof 2.4 and 5 speed trans when Honda made great cars. I only bought my Pilot after looking at all 3 row SUV options under $40K and the Pilot was the least worry some. I did buy an 8 year Honda warranty. I found it troubling that in a month of owner ship, to have a good driving experience, I had to add a auto start/stop disabler, VCM disabler, had dealer fix Infotainment static/popping, turned off all Honda Sense Options (except forward collision) and muffled the two loud lift gate alarm beepers. I did not have to do any mods to my old and recent CRVs.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
It's almost as though the engineers are no longer designing new cars.
Instead, it's now being done by the EPA and the automaker's legal department.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am in the same boat. Having a hard time deciding between a 21 Honda black edition and Highlander platinum AWD. I really like the room in the pilot, the entertainment screen and sportiness look but just having a hard time getting past all these issues being reporting and having to purchase special devices in order to disable factory features. The Highlander does have a tight 3rd row but that will mostly be used by my 6yo and maybe my mil who is very short.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Having a hard time deciding between a 21 Honda black edition and Highlander platinum AWD.
Probably not the best place to ask for this advice. Do the research and come to your own determination. If reliability is a priority, then you'll have your answer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have a 2017 Pilot Touring with about 45k miles. I am leery of the 9-speed transmission. I had a 2000 Acura TL that had its transmission replaced twice so I am suspect of Honda transmissions. At low speeds it hunts for a gear, particularly if you start accelerating from a stop and then take your foot off the gas. When it drops into gear it does so with an annoying metallic clunk. Thought it was slipping, took to the dealer (still under warranty). Dealer said nothing wrong (typical) but gave a free fluid change ($300 value). We'll likely be looking to trade before the 60k power train warranty expires in about a year. We'll at least check out the SUVs with the 100k power train warranty (KIA?) and also leasing so to dump whatever we choose at or before warranty expiration. Aside from the tranny, we like the pilot - good size, drives well, decent mileage, comfortable. Had a 2005 Pilot. Kept for 10 years and only problem was broken motor mounts after wife had to slam on brakes to avoid collision. So we thought another pilot was the way to go and we liked the 2016 design better than the 2015. Unless Honda extends the powertrain warranty to 100k, doubt will consider another one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't buy it. Based on my 2020 Pilot EXL, I will NEVER buy another Honda. The electronics are extremely buggy. This has caused great frustration with my wife who wants her 2003 Highlander back. When the dealership worked on the electronics issue, they made it worst. When we described one of the issues they acted as though we were the first people to have the issue, while I have read over and over of owners having the same exact problem(s). Never again.

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX-L
66 Posts
Good day everyone. I am currently in the market for a mid size 8 seater vehicle. Out of all the 8 seater vehicles I have looked at, only the Toyota Highlander truly sparked my interest. After a few days of reading and research, I learned that the top two mid size family haulers are the Highlander and the Pilot. I have watched reviews and read a few threads on this forum, and have heard a lot of good things about this vehicle. There are a few Pilots in my area that are within my price range, and I am planning on giving it a test run when I get a chance. I just have a few questions that I would like answered to help me make my decision.

1) How is the long term reliability of these vehicles? I read good and bad things about the 9 speed transmission and new direct injection V6. I am planning on keeping this vehicle for 10 or so years and I will rack up a lot of miles.

2) What made you choose the Pilot instead of the rest of the competition particularly the Toyota Highlander? I read that the Highlander has a higher ride height, but the Pilot is sportier and has a wider interior.

3) Have you utilized the third row? I am planning on using the third row for a few adults in road trips. The Highlander was really tight, but overall decided it can me manageable.

4) How do you like your Pilot? Any buyers remorse or regrets?

Thank you all in advanced. I am hoping to learn more about the car and hearing your input. Good day!
I have '17 EX-L with 32000 miles and could not be happier. Matter of fact, I look forward every day to driving it. That's no lie. It's a dream to drive.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a 2017 EX-L with 47,000 miles and I'm very happy with it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good day everyone. I am currently in the market for a mid size 8 seater vehicle. Out of all the 8 seater vehicles I have looked at, only the Toyota Highlander truly sparked my interest. After a few days of reading and research, I learned that the top two mid size family haulers are the Highlander and the Pilot. I have watched reviews and read a few threads on this forum, and have heard a lot of good things about this vehicle. There are a few Pilots in my area that are within my price range, and I am planning on giving it a test run when I get a chance. I just have a few questions that I would like answered to help me make my decision.

1) How is the long term reliability of these vehicles? I read good and bad things about the 9 speed transmission and new direct injection V6. I am planning on keeping this vehicle for 10 or so years and I will rack up a lot of miles.

2) What made you choose the Pilot instead of the rest of the competition particularly the Toyota Highlander? I read that the Highlander has a higher ride height, but the Pilot is sportier and has a wider interior.

3) Have you utilized the third row? I am planning on using the third row for a few adults in road trips. The Highlander was really tight, but overall decided it can me manageable.

Thank you all in advanced. I am hoping to learn more about the car and hearing your input. Good day!
To all 2017-2019 Pilot, 2017-2019 Ridgeline and 2018-2019 Odyssey Models: Honda is extending the warranty for 10 years because the MIL comes on with DTC P0420/P0430, P030x and /or P219A/B... I received my packet in the mail yesterday, 04-01-21! In Feb 2021, my dashboard lit up like a Xmas tree. I brought it to the dealer and it was fuel injector-My 2017 EX-L only had about 14,000 miles on it. All the work was covered based on Service Bulletin 18-025.

If the owner already paid out of pocket for fuel injector repair, there is a form for reimbursement.

·
Registered
17 Posts
To all 2017-2019 Pilot, 2017-2019 Ridgeline and 2018-2019 Odyssey Models: Honda is extending the warranty for 10 years because the MIL comes on with DTC P0420/P0430, P030x and /or P219A/B... I received my packet in the mail yesterday, 04-01-21! In Feb 2021, my dashboard lit up like a Xmas tree. I brought it to the dealer and it was fuel injector-My 2017 EX-L only had about 14,000 miles on it. All the work was covered based on Service Bulletin 18-025.

If the owner already paid out of pocket for fuel injector repair, there is a form for reimbursement.

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
230 Posts
I haven't been the happiest with my 2018 that I bought new. It's been in the shop quite a bit for quality issues. They even had to replace the serpentine belt at 23k miles. I've always been a Honda fanboy and would typically talk any Honda product up, but I can't in this case. Considering people typically buy Honda's for their reliability, this isn't the case. I keep it because trading it in would be a stupid financial move. I would honestly consider the Chevy Traverse if I were in the market now. Considering all the reliability issues with the Pilot I'd go with the Traverse for the better price, more room, and I prefer the looks better. The 3rd row in the Traverse is bigger than the Pilot and it has USB connections back there for charging.

·
Registered
4 Posts

The Highlander is excellent. The previous gen felt a notch below the Pilot. You closed the door and it felt rattly. It’s Noisier, interiors felt old, less space, boring driving dynamics and simply felt mechanically inferior.

The Pilot has an incredible AWD system, which is basically SHAWD and the engine is a gem, which is definitely a plus. You couldn’t get torque vectoring on Highlander until now and it’s not as good, plus it’s only available on XSE.

Top tier fuel, timely oil changes and you’re set as far as engine reliability goes. There’s a few 200k plus MDX/Pilot with this engine variant, including one that’s 600k miles.

Transmission will perform best if you drain and fill the fluid somewhat often. Depends on your trim and duty.

The Pilot does have higher maintenance costs but it’s well worth it for me. As long as you know that going in and do your part, you’ll be fine.

Some people are having random electrical issues here and there but it’s not likely to happen to you. Although it’s certainly a real issue for some.

All in all, the Pilot feels like a big Acura. Particularly in Elite trim. My 2016 has acoustic glass, auto LED projectors, ventilated seats, rain sensing wipers, LED turning signals on side mirrors, torque vectoring AWD, adaptive dampers and so forth.

It’s been an awesome SUV and I’d definitely buy again. I only wish i had Lanewatch though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like my 2017 EX FWD. Bought it with 37k, now has around 47k. Had the transmission (6spd) flushed and reprogrammed under warranty, but other than that it's been flawless. I've just (Sunday) added an after market transmission cooler, I've done a really thorough sound deadening job as I'm pretty picky about that stuff and my youngest daughter has a hearing problem, and I've made my own interior LED lights which I like a great deal.

Handles well for such a big car, quiet enough stock (but really quiet now), plenty of power when I need it but good economy (25mpg mixed) when I don't and LOADS of space. The girls both ranked the Pilot higher for rear seat space than the Highlander, plus the Toyota was a pain to get in and out of the 3rd row. I thought they drove about the same, pretty similar get up and go. The Highlander was much more expensive for the same trim/ year/ mileage, which was another reason to go with the Pilot. I don't regret buying it at all, though I do still miss my Outback (written off by an inattentive driver).

·
Registered
30 Posts
My wife's daily driver is a 2017 Pilot Elite AWD purchased new. It has 49K miles on it and has been nearly flawless. Save for a creaky door fixed by the dealer, it has only needed normal maintenance. The ZF9 transaxle gets a bad rap, and the 2016s were problematic. Ours has been fine so far. Yes, it does have an odd shift feel to it, but my wife doesn't notice and I consider it very mild. Given the 2016 issues, I was concerned when purchasing and bought an 8yr/120K mile HondaCare extended warranty. It's the only extended warranty I've every purchased. The online price was half what the dealer wanted. We hope to get at least 8 years out of the vehicle.

There's lots to like about the Pilot. The AWD system, sister to Acura's well-regarded SH-AWD, is excellent in the snow. Fuel mileage is 3-4 MPG better than my 2020 RX350. The vehicles weigh about the same and both have naturally aspirated V6s, but the Pilot gets significantly better mileage. We'd certainly buy the 2017 Pilot again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had looked at the Toyota Highlander and the Chevy Traverse.
I found this article a great hands on comparison for the Traverse: 2019 Chevrolet Traverse vs. 2019 Honda Pilot Comparison: 3-Row Duel
I had considered the Traverse because of the larger size and my sister in-law purchased one so that she could drive around her daughter and wolf sized German Shepherd. Brother in-law says you can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in it. There is a lot of room. It's a nice car. But like some of the points in the above article, the size is it's main selling factor.

The Toyota is supposed to have more power, a tow hitch (I think) but the interior is supposed to be pretty stale and the back seat tight.

I had looked at 2017 and 2018 Pilots because the prices are nicer. However I went with the 2019 because of the overall design refresh and the fact that all of the safety stuff (like SENSE) was all standard. Also from what I had read on this forum and others was that Honda got a lot of bugs out of the trans and electronics that year as well. So for the extra money there was a lot of peace of mind.
The back seat for the Pilot is perfect for kids and it's not uncomfortable for adults in limited doses. We've never sat 8 so that could change things. The trunk is small however. There is about enough room to fit a full sized stroller (folded up) in the trunk alongside a few grocery bags. My Ford Escape has a bigger trunk than my Pilot.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts