Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an oil leak high on the front driver side of the '04 pilot engine getting it all coated up with oil and grime. I thought it was the valve cover gasket and decided to change them. In the process of removing of the front valve cover, a few of the threads on the middle highest screw hole (the short bolt) in the cylinder head were stripped. Now the screw tightens down some but won't reach the torque needed, it just spins. I've pretty resigned my self to drilling and tapping for heli-coil, but it's been many years since I've done this so a little nervous.

In the end, it wasn't the valve cover gasket leaking oil. It was the oring in the cam shaft cover next the EGR valve. I went ahead and replaced the oring on both cam covers and got the rear valve cover gasket in, I just need to solve this front valve cover stripped screw issue.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
If you can heat up the thread to melt Brenzomatic AC3 rods, you can try the thread restoration method which you can glean from youtube videos. Fill the hole with the rod material, insert the screw, let the solder cool and unscrew.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just installed a m6x1 heli-coil in the hole. Installing it went very smooth, the aluminum was very easy to drill and tap. All buttoned up, torqued to spec, and no oil leak anymore so everything is good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts