Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Does your Pilot still have the plastic strip in front of the rear wheel well?

• My Pilot has the strip

Votes: 40 85.1%
  • My Pilot is sans strip

Votes: 7 14.9%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
307 Posts
my dealer also told me it was to prevent dings

·
Registered
664 Posts
It's on there and should be on there. I believe we've already had someone remove it and need it replaced to the tune of $25.

I like to see a plastic cover like this for the side mouldings. You'll know what I mean when you get your first door ding. They chip too easily. I think the plastic cover would stop the chip. The plastic already takes this hit without denting.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I removed it myself. My feeling is that it will discolor over time and accumulate wax around the edges. What's so magical about covering this tiny section when everything else is exposed? Sure it flares out at that point, but I don't see any extrordinary risks from rocks hitting it above and beyond the rest of the surface.

Chris

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'll ask my neighbor,

He's the service manager for the dealership that sold me mine. Not that he's right over everyone else, but it will be one more opinion in the pot. He owns a Redrock himself.

Never noticed them until you guys pointed it out :)

- Ben

·
Registered
664 Posts
Did anyone print out that Pilot checklist from the other day? I'll be that would list it if it were an item to remove at delivery.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Maybe it works like the 3M Clear Bra and prevents small dings from rocks kicked up under the front splash guard

·
Registered
62 Posts
I removed it. If you leave it on, take it off a couple times a year and wipe the dirt off the paint under it. What will happen is rust will form after a peroid of time.It will happen lot faster in areas where they salt the streets for ice and snow.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Tony said:
Maybe it works like the 3M Clear Bra and prevents small dings from rocks kicked up under the front splash guard
That's exactly how it works...

·
Registered
920 Posts
mugen660 said:
I removed it. If you leave it on, take it off a couple times a year and wipe the dirt off the paint under it. What will happen is rust will form after a peroid of time.It will happen lot faster in areas where they salt the streets for ice and snow.
You are thinking of something else...you are thinking of the rubberized piece of black molding in the rear wheel wells. We are talking about two pieces of clear plastic that are right in front the rear wheel wells...

You think that water and salt will get under the tight molding??? Really???

·
Registered
83 Posts
Clear film

My 99' CRV has original pastic strips still in place.

Never touched them. I just assumed they were intended for chip protection.

They have been exposed to road salt environment and show no signs of corrosion or deterioration.

I'll leave the Pilot plastic strips in place.

·
Registered
260 Posts
That damage protection film should be left there. Quite a few vehicles have this factory applied. I appreciate Honda's thoughtfullness including it.

Al

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MG Pilot said:

We are talking about two pieces of clear plastic that are right in front the rear wheel wells...
My strips might be clear but I think they are body-colored, in my case, white.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My 96 Tacoma did not have them (Toyota did not apply them at the time) and I had many chips from that area. Keep in mind that I drive on dirt roads every day. I believe Toyota started putting them on in late 96 or early 97.

IMO, leave them on, they're good protection. If you have the running boards you can probably remove them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Your right

MG PILOT, your right I was talking about the the rubber pieces around the wheel. I haven't noticed the other plastic covers your talking about. I have to go look. Sorry for the posting the wrong info.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have to change my vote...I do have them. I've been thinking they were supposed to be in the well itself, but it's adherent to the bottom of the passenger door at the very back.

This is obviously meant to stay there. My wife's Avalon has a triangular piece of hard plastic in the exact same spot.

Anyone find these on any other 2002 or 2003 model cars?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Keep them on

Not only will you get a few chips once you take them off, the chips will be in an area exposed to lots of road salt.

If the dealer took them off, then have the dealer put a new set on (FOR FREE!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts