Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen something like this? (I searched the forum but found nothing)

Driving around yesterday we suddenly noticed an 8 inch crack showing in the windshield starting from the extreme bottom left (driver's side) corner and moving upward and toward the right (Direction is described as viewed from the inside).

The crack seems to start further inside the frame of the vehicle. The crack appeared very suddenly and seemed to occur right after I turned on the defroster to clear a foggy interior of the windscreen ( The outside temp was around 50 degrees and it had been rainy for a couple of days. Had a car full of family- so windshield got foggy.)

There was no rock hitting the windshield or anything like that and there is no evidence of any impact damage. The crack seems to have originally been only on the inside, but within a couple of hours seems to also be detectable on the outside.

Since there was no impact on the windshield and the crack seems to start within the frame, I assume that the crack is the result of some sort of stress between the frame and the glass.

Car has only 2800 miles on it and has not been subjected to any rough handling. (No bouncing along rutted roads, or anything that should have stressed the frame.)

We have an appointment to see the dealer service center and hope that they will accept this for warranty repair. (Sorry., no pictures because it is very hard to see and doesn't show in a photo)

Anyone have any similar problems?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sorry to hear about the glass. Maybe the dealer will do right by you. If not do you have glass coverage? if so, have the dealer replace the glass and submit it to your insurance.. $0.00 out of pocket. But make sure its original glass and not the after market glass...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Couple Others

Have seen a couple of others reported in Forums over the past year. If I recall correctly, fix was under warranty.

·
Registered
409 Posts
We Had That Too..

Hi Loutog...

Sorry to hear you got the now semi famous crack in your windshield.

We had this a couple of weeks after we got our Pilot. It was a cool morning and after the wife turned the defrost on....she could hear it reaching out across the length of the windshield.

Took the Pilot in and our service department checked it very carefully and replaced it at no charge. It did take about two week to get a factory windshield in...but we have had no problems with the new one at all.

Don

·
Registered
286 Posts
Very strange

Folks..there is no stranger weather then Houston Texas. It can be 25 degrees is the morning and 75 in the afternoon. But typically it's hotter then Hedes! But extremes happen. So far 2 Pilots and NO cracks of any kind.. :29:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stress Crack in Windshield (Continued)

I managed to get a couple of pictures with car wet using a flash. Here they are. You can see that the crack started at the window frame and is getting longer by day.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Stress Crack in Windshield (Continued)

Loutog said:
I managed to get a couple of pictures with car wet using a flash. Here they are. You can see that the crack started at the window frame and is getting longer by day.
Sorry: I attached 2 photos and they did not upload. Here is another attempt.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Huntington Honda (Huntington Long Island, New York is refusing to honor cracked windshield as a warranty item.

They say that it could NOT happen because of the windshield frame stressing the glass. They point to a spot where there is no blemish and insist it must have been caused by a rock. there is no impact mark and the crack occurred while we were driving slowly with no cars in sight.

We are going to raise a formal complaint to Honda Motors. We feel that the dealer is being unreasonable.

Any advice re how to escalate to Honda formally?

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Try another -- hopefully friendlier -- dealer first. Then ask for the Service Manager. Then ask for a Honda District Rep (you might have to call Honda Customer Care to open a case, depending on the dealer). You just need to keep with the "there was no impact and there is no evidence of any impact damage -- it's a stress crack".

You can also try to enlist the help of your salesperson and his/her dealership's service department, since I'm sure you were promised all sorts of long-term relationship help when you paid.

Good luck.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Don'y Give Up!

Hey Loutog....

It seems to me that if others are having the same problem...

Your local Honda dealer has to make it right...

Don't give up trying different channels as the windshield is pretty expensive. Maybe the crack is caused by shipping?

Don

·
Registered
32 Posts
As I posted on here back in January, after our six month wait for our Pilot, the dealer called us to advise us that it was finally in and ready to be picked up. When we got there, though, there was a crack almost identical to the one shown in the photos above. We had to bring it back for them to replace it (free of charge) a few days later, but it was an unnecessary waste of our time, since they could have replaced it before they called us to pick it up. The dealer said that the cause was probably a grain of sand or similar particle that was left under the glass when it was installed at the factory.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
glider pilot said:
As I posted on here back in January, after our six month wait for our Pilot, the dealer called us to advise us that it was finally in and ready to be picked up. When we got there, though, there was a crack almost identical to the one shown in the photos above. We had to bring it back for them to replace it (free of charge) a few days later, but it was an unnecessary waste of our time, since they could have replaced it before they called us to pick it up. The dealer said that the cause was probably a grain of sand or similar particle that was left under the glass when it was installed at the factory.

I would appreciate your help. Our Honda Dealer is claiming that there is no stress crack problem and that they believe something must have hit our windshield. They are having the District Service Manager see our Pilot on Monday as an appeal process. It would be a big help to be able to tell them the name and dealer of other customers who have had such problems and for whom Honda has replaced the windshield. I cannot write to you directly because your profile does not allow PM or e-mail to be sent to you.

Could you please PM me (See the little icon at the bottom of my posting) and let me give you my private e-mail address so you can help me on my appeal to honda (I just need to be able to tell them at least your name and dealer's name who replaced it)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Good luck. Several days ago I left a pilot.org business card on a Sandstone with a windshield crack just like yours. It could have been a stress fracture. If so, it seems like it is happening out here, too.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
This morning, backing out of my driveway and turning, I did hear a rustling or cracking sound that sounded like enough body flex to crack a windshield, or pop it right out. Kinda strange, as I've never heard it before.

I was backing out and turning the wheel to the left, so the right front wheel was in the street while the left front wheel was still in the driveway, at some small degree of incline. I've only done that at least 380 times in the last year.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Loutog,

Earlier this year before I got my Pilot, a crack formed on the windshield of my 98 Accord. I'm not sure if it was from a stress crack or from a crack caused by a little stone and then water crept in and expanded during a cold winter night. Not that we get alot of cold winter nights in FL. Anyways, my point is, Florida has some law that allows a person to get a free replacement of a windshield from any kind of crack on a windshield.

Maybe your state has a similar law. Won't hurt to ask. :)

riseboi

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry for the late reply Loutog, I haven't been on the computer for a few days. Tried the PM, but would have to redo my profile to send, so I'll just post here that the dealer is J.L. Freed Honda of Lansdale, PA. The delivery date was 1/10/03 and the repair invoice date was 1/15/03. The invoice lists it as "stress crack lower edge of windshield".

·
Registered
103 Posts
No experience w/ this on our Pilot, but 2 years after we bought our '95 Accord, it developed a stress crack in the mounting that held the driver's-side mirror. No marks on the outside of the mirror, so we knew it was not likely to have been caused by someone hitting it. We took it to the dealer (Mike Smith Honda in TX) and they said, sorry, we don't cover that. Husband took it in to the local Honda dealership (Billy Navarre in Lake Charles, LA) and they said, sure, that's under warranty, we'll take of it. Looking back, I can see we should have insisted that the first dealer cover it. Don't give up! Good luck! :cool:

BTW, when it was time to buy our Pilot we bought from the local dealership, they have great service & the lowest price.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Cajun Pilot said:
No experience w/ this on our Pilot, but 2 years after we bought our '95 Accord, it developed a stress crack in the mounting that held the driver's-side mirror. No marks on the outside of the mirror, so we knew it was not likely to have been caused by someone hitting it. We took it to the dealer (Mike Smith Honda in TX) and they said, sorry, we don't cover that. Husband took it in to the local Honda dealership (Billy Navarre in Lake Charles, LA) and they said, sure, that's under warranty, we'll take of it. Looking back, I can see we should have insisted that the first dealer cover it. Don't give up! Good luck! :cool:

BTW, when it was time to buy our Pilot we bought from the local dealership, they have great service & the lowest price.
A bit of thread drift, sorry.
They should make a training video about your experience. Whatever happend to customer service? That first shop should know what their lack of customer service caused them to lose out on, a sale. Just think, they could have repaired your mirror, under warranty or not, and kept a happy customer. Now your loyalty, and your money, belongs to the local shop. Great, or even good, customer service can overcome shortfalls in other areas. I'd be willing to spend a little more at a place that has given me good service, and I think there are many others who share that view.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stress Crack in lower corner- Windshield

glider pilot said:
Sorry for the late reply Loutog, I haven't been on the computer for a few days. Tried the PM, but would have to redo my profile to send, so I'll just post here that the dealer is J.L. Freed Honda of Lansdale, PA. The delivery date was 1/10/03 and the repair invoice date was 1/15/03. The invoice lists it as "stress crack lower edge of windshield".
The site admin sent you an e-mail containing my e-mail address if you want to contact me. You have been a great help.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts