Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not a crack yet, but may be someday, see the discolored vertical mark above the round panel mounting hole, it looks like a scratch, but when you flex the panel, the mark becomes more prominent. Anyone else seen this?

Attachments

·
Registered
991 Posts
interesting........ I will have to check mine out.. good discovery..

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yup--same general area of failure although it appears the "structural strain" from the above photo is emanating around the area 12:00 o'clock of the attachment. Ours cracked in the area proximal to the attachment. Do you "slide out" or "step out?" It has been a week and we haven't received a call from the service dept. Guess it's time to call 'em.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
ipomoea said:
Yup--same general area of failure although it appears the "structural strain" from the above photo is emanating around the area 12:00 o'clock of the attachment. Ours cracked in the area proximal to the attachment. Do you "slide out" or "step out?" It has been a week and we haven't received a call from the service dept. Guess it's time to call 'em.
Judging by where the "stress" mark shows on the plastic, it does appear to be caused by excessive force/pressure from the top. Someone else in another thread had a similar problem, although on his, he would also catch the seat controls on the way out of the vehicle.

I just looked at my drivers side seat and there was no noticeable stress marks.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Sure do. I was wondering what caused it. You learn something every day here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Panel under driver seat

The two screws that hold the panel onto the seat run thru plastic dowels into the seat frame, my Pilot is only 3 months old & had to have the panel replaced once already & as I speak they just ordered another panel for me as the replacement just broke, I weigh 200 lbs. & this should not happen. Seems the plastic dowels are snapping under my weight when getting out of vehicle.:3: :3:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey all,

Dealer just ordered me a new part as well. 3 months, and 7600 miles, and I just noticed that it was really lose, and then realized that the bolt had broken through the plastic.

Funny thing, I don't ever remember catching my pants or anything like that, and I'm 6'2" around 190. I don't think height has anything to do with it, rather the design is simply poor. It's possible that the weight on the left side of the seat is pressing down on the bolt, causing the panel to deform. It's only a matter of time before it fatigues.

BTW hanss, I believe the phenomenon that you refer to with the mark becoming more prominent with the plastic is crazing =)

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
I wonder

how many people that are seeing the stress marks are also "first time" owners of a SUV type vehicle. Meaning a longer stretch to climb in than your typical family sedan?

Possibly a pattern??

·
Registered
252 Posts
Fireforge said:
Hey all,

Dealer just ordered me a new part as well. 3 months, and 7600 miles, and I just noticed that it was really lose, and then realized that the bolt had broken through the plastic.

.... I don't think height has anything to do with it, rather the design is simply poor. It's possible that the weight on the left side of the seat is pressing down on the bolt, causing the panel to deform. It's only a matter of time before it fatigues.

As previously described in a related thread, I noticed our panel became undone at around 7K, and apparently in a similar fashion described by Fireforge. It appears that the design is indeed poor, and is beginning to be documented regardless of the driver's height and weight.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
hanss said:
It's not a crack yet, but may be someday, see the discolored vertical mark above the round panel mounting hole, it looks like a scratch, but when you flex the panel, the mark becomes more prominent. Anyone else seen this?
Whoa, Nellie, hanss, you may indeed have uncovered something.

When I checked out my panel, I found a vertical mark very similar to yours. Looking at it closely, it appears to be a "line" of lighter-colored area, about 1/2" in length, running up from the plastic hole. I rubbed it, but detected no crack and it didn't seem to change in appearance.

Frankly, I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't read your post. But, I definitely will be keeping an eye on the thing from here on out.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
At the D.C. meet Saturday, I surveyed for the stress crack, and 4 of the 9 had that tell-tale marking.

Interestingly, I don't remember any discussion at all about saggy leather.

·
Registered
252 Posts
jay said:
At the D.C. meet Saturday, I surveyed for the stress crack, and 4 of the 9 had that tell-tale marking.

Interestingly, I don't remember any discussion at all about saggy leather.
Had ours fixed when we took our vehicle in for the SRS programming. It should be pretty obvious to Honda at this juncture that this is not an isolated event. If a user sees this stress crack developing, or the plastic trim has become undone, schedule this warranty fix, along with a pre-planned servicing trip to the dealer -- to potentially save one trip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
26K miles, I too just ordered a panel ($34). Thanks for the reinforcement. (I thought it was just my fat butt.) Reinforcement is what the panel needs. The (2) screws in this panel are the only things supporting it. Honda needs to develop someway of strengthening the screw wells.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I checked mine-no crack so far.

·
Registered
269 Posts
just noticed mine today...4200k miles....

can anyone tell me the exact name of this part so i can call my dealer.

thanks.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
evaneri65 said:
just noticed mine today...4200k miles....

can anyone tell me the exact name of this part so i can call my dealer.

thanks.
It is called driver side outer seat garnish.

-john

1 - 20 of 23 Posts