Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whenever I startup my car, theres a really strange noise coming from the engine. The noise is coming on the left side by the pulleys. I had two guys look at it, and both said it is something internally in the engine. One of the guys said it might be bearings, and the other said that to fully understand the issue, they would have to completely disassemble the engine, and the cost of that might not be worth it for the car. I was wondering if anyone on here might know what the issue is? I've attached a video of the sound. It gets progressively worse each day. Here is a video of the engine starting a few days ago.

EDIT: another video of the sound, this time revving the engine

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll also mention that I use fully synthetic oil, so oil is likely not an issue. Car only has 104,000 miles on it. Just recently replaced the timing belt and water pump about a year ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
9,444 Posts
That is the timing belt tensioner. It needs to be replaced immediately. Do not drive it or run it

·
Registered
9,444 Posts
When was the last time you had a timing belt water pump job?

·
Registered
9,444 Posts
The belt will need to be replaced too. It's likely stretched. I'd want answers from who ever did that job for you. There is 4 components that must be replaced during that job.
Timing Belt
Timing Belt Tensioner
Timing Belt Idler Pulley
Water Pump w/gasket
The brand of parts used is very important.
Let us know what was installed. Will try to help you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The belt will need to be replaced too. It's likely stretched. I'd want answers from who ever did that job for you. There is 4 components that must be replaced during that job.
Timing Belt
Timing Belt Tensioner
Timing Belt Idler Pulley
Water Pump w/gasket
The brand of parts used is very important.
Let us know what was installed. Will try to help you.
Thank you for the quick reply! All of that stuff was replaced by the Honda dealership themselves, and I'm assuming they would use Honda Genuine parts for them. I took a look at the video, and I'm going to compare it to what I hear now.

·
Registered
9,444 Posts
Here is the sound again, this time when revving the engine slightly

After hearing it a 2nd time. I'm confident in saying that you got a bad Timing Belt Tensioner.
Do you have a bill for the work they did on that date? I've heard that some dealerships do not replace the tensioner, and if they do, that's extra.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After hearing it a 2nd time. I'm confident in saying that you got a bad Timing Belt Tensioner.
Do you have a bill for the work they did on that date? I've heard that some dealerships do not replace the tensioner, and if they do, that's extra.
Thank you. I'm searching for it now. I'll update when I find it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unfortunately I cannot find the receipt, however I am now going to try to call the dealership tomorrow. I'll update here when anything happens

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update: Interesting. Looks like some service history is showing on owners.honda.com, but not all. Of course, the Timing Belt isnt listed. Oh well, gonna call tomorrow anyway

1 - 20 of 23 Posts